Didn't we hear the same about the Z10? And the Q10? What did Heins say? "Q10 .... in the tens of millions" "Best launch sales figures of any Blackberry model EVER"

When the actual sales figures are in, we'll know. Until then, anyone who gets their hopes up on Blackberry's smoke and mirrors tricks will be disappointed more than usual.
    Did you just compare Heins reign to that of the great John Chen !??? Shame on you.

Via The BlackBerry Z10 Experience.
    07-10-14 11:27 PM
    For every 1 person returning to BB theres 6 going to iPhone tho. haha Its a losing battle! But the truth is...BB will eventually win (in maybe 50 years when media can brainwash ppl back to bb). The better product always does. But iOS 8 has some nice bb10 features so who knows!
    07-11-14 12:29 AM
    I love my Macbook and iPad, but I am never going back to iPhone. It's a gaudy bauble compared to my Q10.
    iPad's are terrible wastes of money. Family stopped playing with ours years ago. Its just sits on the couch. I hear tablet sales are declining. maybe people are over them?

The phone will soon replace the tablet as they grow in size.

And products like Surface Pro 3 will replace the desktop/laptop.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-11-14 12:31 AM
    To be honest, the article is pretty badly written. I like BlackBerry and love my Q10, and I think that they could do without shoddy publicity of this sort.

Posted via CB10
    chalx and anon8656116 like this.
    07-11-14 01:07 AM
    I love my Macbook and iPad, but I am never going back to iPhone. It's a gaudy bauble compared to my Q10.
    I am in exactly the same situation as you. I am a heavy MacOS and iOS user, but I way prefer my Z10 to the iPhone 5.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    07-11-14 02:00 AM
    I think it's a fashion cycle. iPhones used to be the in thing. Now people are getting bored. There will come a point this year where the new devices from BlackBerry will be defined as cool and people will start to notice. Keyboard devices would once again be a hit and BlackBerry might regain its old glory. (Crossing my fingers).
    I think this sentiment concerns smartphones in general, not just iPhones. I would call it smartphone fatigue. Everything has been done or been seen in one form or another, the greater developments in smartphones have been made. It is becoming such a common device that it’s not that exciting anymore and the feature parity among operating systems contributes to that. Neither BlackBerry offers anything at this time that could make people truly excited.
    07-11-14 02:55 AM
    He is right about Apple starting to come down. Ever since Steve Jobs passed away, the company hasn't been the same. They have been releasing 'okay' products but nothing innovative like the 3GS. Stock, revenues and sales have gone down in the last year for apple, and the boring iphone concept is still the same as 2007. Roughly a 4 inch display with a glass shell only equals out to be a shatter box I think.

Iphones aren't a bad product, they just aren't a good one either. The only thing that ever saved Apple was their damn good marketing department. That will be the only props I give to them. All there ever was really.

Apple's iPhone sales, revenue forecast fall short; shares slide | Reuters
    The iPhone 4 and 4s were both Jobs creations, and the 5 might have been too.

Which means that Apple has only made two or three phones at the most (5s, 5c, and possibly 5) without their legendary leader.

I personally think the Jobs argument is slightly overrated. I think everyone should give post-Jobs Apple a full chance to prove itself before calling it devoid of imagination and promise.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 03:45 AM
    He is right about Apple starting to come down. Ever since Steve Jobs passed away, the company hasn't been the same. They have been releasing 'okay' products but nothing innovative like the 3GS.

Because that 64bit architecture on custom silicon (designed in-house) that they're transitioning the entire line of mobile products to, that was child's play, right? The entirely new programming language written in four years? Black berry could have done that in their sleep I guess.

Some of the things I read here just amaze.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    kevinnugent and m1a1mg like this.
    07-11-14 04:12 AM
    Buyers seldom give a crap about the processor architecture, nor the time it took to write the programming language. The point about the reluctance of Apple to break out of their self-imposed mould is a valid one.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    07-11-14 04:16 AM
    Buyers seldom give a crap about the processor architecture, nor the time it took to write the programming language. The point about the reluctance of Apple to break out of their self-imposed mould is a valid one.
    Buyers may not give a crap about processor architecture. But the market has shown even fewer give a crap about security. And with 130 million new first-time purchases of iOS devices in the last year, maybe the sound business decision sounds something like "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Even so,...this idea that Apple doesn't innovate since Jobs died is objectively absurd.

Extensibility.
    Sapphire instead of Gorilla Glass.
    "Hand-off" between iOS and OS X.
    SMS within iMessage
    Phone calls on Mac.
    iBeacon
    TouchID
    The radical updates seen in iWork/iLife
    Photos integration into iCloud Drive
    iOS in the car

These may not be innovations that YOU are impressed by, but they're hardly indicative of a company that's been standing still. At this point, the very suggestion is either disingenuous or woefully ill-informed.

07-11-14 04:30 AM
    I take your points on board, however, at the same time, they still don't have a file manager, NFC, Miracast or any of a myriad of other features that other devices in their price range take for granted. Apple are in many ways a victim of their own marketing department. Anything they release from now on which fails to 'change the game' is almost inevitably going to be seen as disappointing.
    07-11-14 04:49 AM
    Buyers may not give a crap about processor architecture. But the market has shown even fewer give a crap about security. And with 130 million new first-time purchases of iOS devices in the last year, maybe the sound business decision sounds something like "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Even so,...this idea that Apple doesn't innovate since Jobs died is objectively absurd.

Extensibility.
    SMS within iMessage
    Phone calls on Mac.
    iBeacon
    TouchID
    iOS in the car

These may not be innovations that YOU are impressed by, but they're hardly indicative of a company that's been standing still. At this point, the very suggestion is either disingenuous or woefully ill-informed.

The list you provided are not innovation they are just sidestuff.innovation is something that world has never seen before.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:52 AM
    I take your points on board, however, at the same time, they still don't have a file manager, NFC, Miracast or any of a myriad of other features that other devices in their price range take for granted. Apple are in many ways a victim of their own marketing department. Anything they release from now on which fails to 'change the game' is almost inevitably going to be seen as disappointing.
    See this is the thing people don't get...those things aren't "features" as Apple understands them. A file manager on a mobile device is anathema to Apple. For a lot of people, a file manager calls to mind futzing about on their PC's desktop, for example. Apple asked,..."Well,...what are you trying to accomplish with that file manager?" If the answer is "Attach this document, or picture, to an email." Then Apple answers "see here? You simply tap the "share" icon directly on whatever it is you're trying to send." As for NFC,... Apple has (rightly, IMO) seen no need for it. People aren't exactly clamoring for it after all. In North America, there are very limited uses for it. In light of that, they engineered the iBeacons thing, which serves the same function, albeit with proprietary tech, while serving Apple's philosophy. i.e. "If we can engineer a software solution without altering our chipset, that's a win. (NFC requires a separate chip inside the phone, keeping in mind.) As for miracast, they have AirPlay. Airplay works for them and their customers because the customer base is so HUGE. I'm not super-familiar with Miracast honestly, but did it exist five years ago when Apple came up with AirPlay?

Anyway....yes, I will grant you...if you truly NEED a file manager on your phone, or even in your tablet, Apple is not gonna make you happy. Android has one, but the vast majority of people on android handsets do not use the file manager, I'd be willing to bet. All I'm saying is, these things you call features are only features if you WANT them. And Apple has shown that most people simply don't.

07-11-14 05:13 AM
    The list you provided are not innovation they are just sidestuff.innovation is something that world has never seen before.

Posted via CB10
    No. That's "invention."

"Innovation" is taking something everyone accepts for what it is, and refining it.

07-11-14 05:16 AM
    He just doesn't make a very strong case why the iPhone isn't a business device.
    From my experience there are totally different types of business users.

The upper level of the company I'm working for uses iPhones. My supervisor (marketing director) has a company issued iPhone 5S. But he is in now way a business power user of the phone, it's more of a convenient companion device to his desktop for the case he's on the go. What he does is looking up appointments, phone calls (primarily), SMS/WhatsApp and a BIT of casual email. Whenever he writes an email from his iPhone it's as short as possible, 2 lines at most, mostly only a few words. And they always lack proper punctuation and capitalization. The phone isn't used as a 'business tool' at all and it's the same with every other 'business' iPhone user throughout our company as far as I can tell. But still they do account for "iPhones for business".

So how many of this kind of "business" users are out there in the wild, proclaiming the iPhone is "just as good for business as a BlackBerry" if not "better"?
    07-11-14 05:59 AM
    See this is the thing people don't get...those things aren't "features" as Apple understands them. A file manager on a mobile device is anathema to Apple. For a lot of people, a file manager calls to mind futzing about on their PC's desktop, for example. Apple asked,..."Well,...what are you trying to accomplish with that file manager?" If the answer is "Attach this document, or picture, to an email." Then Apple answers "see here? You simply tap the "share" icon directly on whatever it is you're trying to send." As for NFC,... Apple has (rightly, IMO) seen no need for it. People aren't exactly clamoring for it after all. In North America, there are very limited uses for it. In light of that, they engineered the iBeacons thing, which serves the same function, albeit with proprietary tech, while serving Apple's philosophy. i.e. "If we can engineer a software solution without altering our chipset, that's a win. (NFC requires a separate chip inside the phone, keeping in mind.) As for miracast, they have AirPlay. Airplay works for them and their customers because the customer base is so HUGE. I'm not super-familiar with Miracast honestly, but did it exist five years ago when Apple came up with AirPlay?

Anyway....yes, I will grant you...if you truly NEED a file manager on your phone, or even in your tablet, Apple is not gonna make you happy. Android has one, but the vast majority of people on android handsets do not use the file manager, I'd be willing to bet. All I'm saying is, these things you call features are only features if you WANT them. And Apple has shown that most people simply don't.

No Apple has told/marketed that people don't want/need them. In a business environment, the iphone truly falls short. All the marketing may convince the masses it's not true, and they will believe Apple, but in reality they will pay for such a decision day in and day out. Phones like the z30, passport, and q10 crush the iphone capabilities when it comes to the business environment. The iphone still doesn't have a simple HDMI out port. When navigating corporate networks, a file manager is a must, let alone within a phone. The BB10 devices chased the Samsung and iphone devices out of our company.

Posted via CB10
    playbookster likes this.
    07-11-14 06:29 AM
    Probably the biggest danger for the iPhone is that it has been a fashion item - and things go in and out of fashion. To that extent, how good it is (it is good - I don't really see why some try and deny it) is of less importance to that issue. My beloved adores her iPhone even though she has zero interest in smartphones per se. Because of that fashion item status. She barely uses it beyond texts, Facebook and calls.

Where they've been just brilliantly clever is to try to mitigate that fashion downside by locking people into the ecosystem through apps, iTunes and so forth. Such a sharp strategy.

All empires fall, so Apple won't be up there forever. But reports of their demise are probably exaggerated.
    Last edited by Banco; 07-11-14 at 06:52 AM.
    Timbosaurus and sleepngbear like this.
    07-11-14 06:37 AM
    The iphone still doesn't have a simple HDMI out port. When navigating corporate networks, a file manager is a must, let alone within a phone.
    But it has adaptors. Just because the iPhone does not have a native file manager does not mean that there is no access to corporate networks and files. That’s where third-party apps come into play. The law firm I did an internship with switched to iPhone 5S but didn’t use Apple’s default apps for everything. Despite these workarounds, iPhones have been on the rise in business and Apple’s recent efforts to improve its software in that area haven’t gone unnoticed.
    07-11-14 07:06 AM

Extensibility.
    SMS within iMessage
    Phone calls on Mac.
    iBeacon
    TouchID
    iOS in the car

Only thing that might count as an innovation in the "hands-off" feature.
    The rest does not qualify for being innovative.
    At least as far as I know.

Using Sapphire Glass is no innovation. Much rather an improvement.
    SMS within iMessage? Are we that desperate for innovations that we consider that to be one?
    Touch ID... Sounds like fingerprint reading. That's not an innovation (it's pretty good though. Might become an innovation if we get new use cases).

I don't want to do that with every single one, but, to say it simply, those are not innovations.
    Also, me being impressed doesn't make or break an innovation.
    The definition of the word does.
    And none of the examples comply with it.

Posted via CB10
    On the fundamental level, that's an invention.
    (it usually goes: Invention>Innovation>Diffusion)

Example for invention: microprocessor.
    Innovation upon the microprocessor: the PC.
    (even though the PC was an invention by itself as well)

No. That's "invention."

"Innovation" is taking something everyone accepts for what it is, and refining it.

Not true as a whole.
    There is a difference between improvement and innovation as well.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 07-11-14 at 07:41 AM.
    07-11-14 07:26 AM
    IPhone sucks. Over priced and less durable. It sounds like it because it's made of aluminum but the fact is; screen breaks easily. I saw many of my co-emplyees having broken iPhone screens and the back.

IPhone is smaller than the z10 but they can't type fast and needs to hold it with both hands while typing. But I still don't get it why they kept buying iphones.

Btw, my boss keeps saying, "Your phone is an iPhone killer."

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 07:33 AM
    Probably the biggest danger for the iPhone is that it has been a fashion item - and things go in and out of fashion. To that extent, how good it is (it is good - I don't really see why some try and deny it) is of less importance to that issue. My beloved adores her iPhone even though she has zero interest in smartphones per se. Because of that fashion item status. She barely uses it beyond texts, Facebook and calls.

Where they've been just brilliantly clever is to try to mitigate that fashion downside by locking people into the ecosystem through apps, iTunes and so forth. Such a sharp strategy.

All empires fall, so Apple won't be up there forever. But reports of their demise are probably exaggerated.
    I agree with you. I never say Apple is doomed. Hardly. Apple has a huge installed user base, great marketing campaign and cash to the point it's swimming in it. However, the iphone is not as nearly cracked up to be as Apple and it's followers claim it to be. Honestly, it is over sold, under delivered and Apple continues to stock pile the cash. The practice of over charging, exploitation of cheap labor and foreign lax environmental practices, along with major tax evasion within the US does not bode well with me. As far as a business tool, well it just comes up short. I can easily demonstrate within 10 minutes why it's not a great corporate choice. Again, at work we had legacy, Samsung, and Apple devices. Once some legacy devices were changed out to BB10 devices, the Samsung and Apple users would mock the BlackBerry users for not going with an iphone or s4/5. After a short while, they saw how productive we were compared to them. Now 43 of us are either z30, z10 and 1 or 2 legacy devices. Also I am amazed at how many spouses have switched to BlackBerry because of these devices going home.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    07-11-14 07:34 AM
    He is right about Apple starting to come down. Ever since Steve Jobs passed away, the company hasn't been the same. They have been releasing 'okay' products but nothing innovative like the 3GS. Stock, revenues and sales have gone down in the last year for apple, and the boring iphone concept is still the same as 2007. Roughly a 4 inch display with a glass shell only equals out to be a shatter box I think.

Iphones aren't a bad product, they just aren't a good one either. The only thing that ever saved Apple was their damn good marketing department. That will be the only props I give to them. All there ever was really.

Apple's iPhone sales, revenue forecast fall short; shares slide | Reuters

I missed the part in the story where revenue and sales have gone down. There is a big difference between missing "analyst" expectations and sales and revenue declining.

The stock? Well I don't have the exact numbers and I really don't want to look them up but I think the stock is up substantially since Steve Jobs' death. Even w/ the 7-1 stock split if you multiply it out its around $700.

The margins are a little lower on the iPad mini and the 5c so that explains the flat profit.

I think every quarter is a record comp quarter.
    07-11-14 07:35 AM
    From my experience there are totally different types of business users.

The upper level of the company I'm working for uses iPhones. My supervisor (marketing director) has a company issued iPhone 5S. But he is in now way a business power user of the phone, it's more of a convenient companion device to his desktop for the case he's on the go. What he does is looking up appointments, phone calls (primarily), SMS/WhatsApp and a BIT of casual email. Whenever he writes an email from his iPhone it's as short as possible, 2 lines at most, mostly only a few words. And they always lack proper punctuation and capitalization. The phone isn't used as a 'business tool' at all and it's the same with every other 'business' iPhone user throughout our company as far as I can tell. But still they do account for "iPhones for business".

So how many of this kind of "business" users are out there in the wild, proclaiming the iPhone is "just as good for business as a BlackBerry" if not "better"?
    Omg, this starts again...
    Does the guy make money with his phone?
    Does he use it to coordinate his job?
    Does the phone satisfy his business needs?

I congratulate him then, his phone is a business phone.
    And I congratulate you as well for being narrow minded.
    Tools not Toys, right?

A BlackBerry would probably be a worse business phone for that guy, than his iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-11-14 07:41 AM
    I guess everyone missed how the iPhone is now the number one device in business. In the US at least about 99% of business are considered "Small Business", with about half of those having fewer than 50 employees.

Don't think they could happen if the iPhone was such a "toy". BlackBerry is a big old slotted screwdriver, it is a great tool that does it's job well (communications), but the iPhone is one of those "12 in 1" screw drivers... maybe it isn't the best at communications or security, but it is a very versatile tool that can get the job done.

My question before, is WHY can't BlackBerry do the same?

The writer of the Article and even some here say that Apple has lost their Steve Jobs and they aren't innovative. Well BlackBerry never had Steve Jobs....
    07-11-14 08:49 AM

Of the numerous phones I've owned with miracast and NFC capability, I've never used either. In fact the first thing I turn OFF is NFC. And the only time I use the file manager on my phones is because I've rooted and need to move something into another folder.

I don't buy my phones based on NFC or miracast or a file manager.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-11-14 08:56 AM
218 12345 ...