So I'm a bit of a geek and have owned tech from all of BlackBerry's competitor platforms. Instead of complaining about BlackBerry's "room for improvement" I thought it might be refreshing to highlight instances where the competition came up a little short. Here are my experiences:

Apple
    The iPhone holds the distinction of being the only devicebthat I had to return. After a software update the phone got hot permanently and drained the battery in about 4 hours and no amount of restoring would fix it. I also owned the original ipad which I gave away a couple of years ago because as a result of apple's ios upgrades it could no longer display more than a couple of simple Web pages before the browser crashed. Ios obviously has no effective error handling. I still have my much maligned PlayBook as it actually worked better than the ipad.

Android
    I owned a cheap hipstreet tablet that was truly horrendous in error very way, screen, performance,, battery, camera. I now have a Google nexus tablet that overheats and freezes if I use it continuously for more than an hour or so.

Windows
    I don't have any ms horror stories because I don't own w8 mobile. I view w8 as a superficial kludge on top of w7 with no real innovation.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 09:00 AM
    Apple - I usually only use the YouTube app on my iPad and I will occasionally be watching something and pause it while I go to do something else (not on the iPad). When I come back to use it after a few hours, the darn YouTube app restarts from the home screen and I lose my place in what I was watching. iOS has never had proper multi-tasking and it's quite annoying in this instance, not to mention the videos stop if I try doing anything else on the iPad.

Windows 8 - I don't like the Start screen at all

Android - I bought a cheap $150 7" NextBook tablet and it was the worst P.O.S. The screen was horrible and would occasionally start clicking links and things on its own without me even touching the screen. I guess you get what you pay for.
    12-26-14 09:10 AM
    P.s. I do own an Asus zenbook that I do appreciate, but have found little use for the "metro" w8 interface. I pretty much raise the lid and invoke desktop mode where I can use it like a legacy w7 laptop. To me the metro interface is superficial Window dressing added on top of the previous version of windows, a description that I would apply to all iterations of windows software since at least xp. I always felt that new versions of Windows were really just technical upgrades and the constant monkeying with the interface was done to justify marketing the os as a "new" version. I was annoyed by the constant interface and menu changes that I felt were regressive and less intuitive in many cases. I felt ms was not innovating or adding significant value but we're instead focused on managing their income stream.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 09:54 AM
    Refreshing? That's all we do! BlackBerry bashing is always forbidden because "they are perfect".
    12-26-14 09:57 AM
    Refreshing? That's all we do! BlackBerry bashing is always forbidden because "they are perfect".
    Firstly, people here get annoyed with unfair and uneducated bashing of BlackBerry. When someone comes on the forums to request assistance with an issue they're having, many people are always happy to help and provide guidance. If you weren't aware this is CrackBerry, it's for BlackBerry addicts and fans and people will defend the brand when others bash without requesting help or asking for assistance; I don't know why you'd expect otherwise. And why do we always need to have party poopers? If you don't like the topic, MOVE ALONG.
    12-26-14 10:00 AM
    I wish I had more Android experience, I don't own one, too much of a BlackBerry house. With kids though, one must have Apple iThings.

Just got an iPad mini for my daughter for Christmas, it is a very nice device but I cannot get my head around how to use iOS. They don't have a file manager, I don't use iTunes so moving music onto it is a pain. With my BlackBerry I just type the UNC path into my computer file browser and drag-n-drop. With iOS you need to use iTunes, it is such a step backward.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:04 AM
    I really like my Asus VivoTab (Win 8), especially now that I can pair it with my Passport and use the real keyboard. Mostly, I use it for the Office apps, since Docs2Go deserves all the bashing it gets. If you're happy with D2G, you're not creating any documents or spreadsheets on it.

The larger screen of the VivoTab is good for viewing forum websites, and the tablet has the full Win 8.1 functionality. And I don't mind the Metro interface, I've learned to accept it.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    12-26-14 10:30 AM
    My experience with the android interface after having used it on a couple of tablets is that it's kind of a mish-mash of ideas and not particularly elegant. My nexus tablet is a pure Google experience so my opinion is not influenced by questionable third-party customizations. I've used the tablets for a couple of years and could still not describe the underlying design concepts and interrelationships between the home screen and the pages exposed by swiping right and left. When I wake the tablet up there is always a long string of alert tabs strung out across the top of my home screen that have been generated by a news app,, some day i'll dig to see if I can turn this annoying spam off. If I let the tablet go to sleep with Vine displayed the app will cycle in the background and use up my 2.5gb monthly data allowance in one night. It's true that there are many ways available for you to tailor the interface to your taste and you'll need them because the out-of-the box interface experience is just as convoluted and fractured as the android device offerings.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:39 AM
    Windows 8 is a joke, I'm interested to know what they were thinking when it was being developed. Nowhere near what it should have been and for a leading software product and company, forget it. It's a jumbled mess.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 likes this.
    12-26-14 10:41 AM
    it is funny to read complaints for brands they never used in order to smear them.
    12-26-14 10:46 AM
    That may be your style but I have owned all of the devices that I mention and the issues are as presented.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 likes this.
    12-26-14 10:52 AM
    Lol, yeah there are no threads complaining about other platforms...... CrackBerry would be a ghost town without them. But why not, add another to the mix.
    12-26-14 10:53 AM
    Eh,.. Windows 8(.1!!) is ok once you get used to it (like BB10). Probably the best thing about it is the boot up times though. Still, I wish they would add a desktop like start menu inside "the desktop". Just seems like a bit if a disparity when you're using a mouse (the Win start screen just makes you want to touch the screen).

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:53 AM
    I still have my much maligned PlayBook as it actually worked better than the ipad.

Posted via CB10
    You must be using an early iPad model then if the Playbook is running better for you.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-26-14 10:54 AM
    Windows 8 is a joke, I'm interested to know what they were thinking when it was being developed. Nowhere near what it should have been and for a leading software product and company, forget it. It's a jumbled mess.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. We were just given the option for work to use a new Windows 8 hybrid (Yoga 3) or get an older Windows 7 laptop. After using the Yoga 3 for about 2 weeks I opted to send it back and get an older Windows 7 machine. I have never hated a computer OS like I hated Windows 8.
    12-26-14 10:57 AM
    it is funny to read complaints for brands they never used in order to smear them.
    What makes you think people never used them? They are describing specific examples of using them.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    12-26-14 10:59 AM
    Agreed. We were just given the option for work to use a new Windows 8 hybrid (Yoga 3) or get an older Windows 7 laptop. After using the Yoga 3 for about 2 weeks I opted to send it back and get an older Windows 7 machine. I have never hated a computer OS like I hated Windows 8.
    I figured out how to "neuter" windows 8 so all the charms and crap would not get in the way, so it's as close to windows 7 as possible. It's at least usable now, but all my workhorse PCs have windows 7
    12-26-14 11:00 AM
    Blackberry devices haven't all been perfect, and bb10 can and has been improved. However all platforms and devices have had issues and growing pains. BlackBerry bb10 os and current devices are competitive in most aspects and superior in some. Apple makes good devices but there is plenty to criticize. Some Android devices have best-in-class features and if those features are what you prize the most then they are your ideal value proposition. I'm not slamming all non-blackberry devices. I just read so much in these forums highlighting the every minor BlackBerry perceived shortcoming as major problems combined with "abandon-the-brand" statements that I wanted to create a thread that offers some "balance". If you want to move on then more power to you. Why are you here?

Posted via CB10
    gebco and Dave Bourque like this.
    12-26-14 11:14 AM
    You must be using an early iPad model then if the Playbook is running better for you.
    Yup, the original ipad model 1. Worked well for a few years until the os challenged the available memory

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:21 AM
    Yup, the original ipad model 1. Worked well for a few years until the os challenged the available memory

Posted via CB10
    Lol and you actually have a complaint about that?
    12-26-14 11:21 AM
    I used to be really anti windows 8, but with the 8.1 update, Windows 8.1 is now my favourite computer and tablet OS.

The start screen does update by itself meaning I can get information on weather, news, email accounts, and upcoming calendar appointments just by looking at the start screen.

But my favourite thing about Windows 8.1 is the push notification for emails with the default mail app. I had to resort to Firefox Browser mail app in Windows 7, and the notification would not work unless I had the browser open.

All in all, people should give Windows 8.1 a try instead of reading Youtube troll comments about Windows 8.1.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    werner69, kbz1960 and AnimalPak200 like this.
    12-26-14 11:30 AM
    I think win8 is fine. Is it so much different to have to start something fro the start menu or an icon pinned to the taskbar?

It's just a different way to here from there. I find win8 faster than 7.
    TgeekB and twiggyrj like this.
    12-26-14 11:42 AM
    I think win8 is fine. Is it so much different to have to start something fro the start menu or an icon pinned to the taskbar?

It's just a different way to here from there. I find win8 faster than 7.
    Agree. I find Windows 8 very easy to use.

Posted from my Classic.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-26-14 11:44 AM
    First... no point in complaining..... if there are issues then that is why god invented updates.... I notice 2 things about those who complain... first.. they tend to do little or no research... if they did they may have found this issues ahead of time... ( ie... BB does not run all Android apps and some do not run well depending on OS or device.... )..... many complainers many times are insecure in their choice and it is easier to complain about what is happening then admit they made a mistake in their smartphone choice... ( pointing my finger at the Android wannabe ... ) in the end complaining on a forum accomplishes very little and adds to the frustration of many ... how many times have you read a post the essentially says " if I am having a problem ... then everyone is having a problem... and we must fix it for everyone...... gets a bit tiresome ready the broad brush approach so to speak....
    12-26-14 11:56 AM
    With the pains some people feel about Windows 8 I think Windows 10 will be the best of both worlds especially with the continuum feature that changes the UI if a keyboard is attached and when it is removed. With a change in paradigm there will always be people who don't like it such as BB10. I like android but most launchers feel cluttered and are just throwing way too much stuff into them and iOS feel way to restrictive but some restriction is a good thing, too much choice can be overwhelming with menus upon menus of choices is a messy affair. I am of the less is more approach kind of person which is why I love flat design and it's principles.
    12-26-14 12:03 PM
171 123 ...