Wow are you delusional. It's a runtime and there is nothing "stealing" about it.
    I beg to differ on the "delusional" part of your statement.
    I've been waiting for almost 3 years for BlackBerry to bring back the functionality of the old OS.
    It hasn't happened.
    Only two functions cause me to keep my Q10: one touch speed dialing and the predictive text.
    I carry a phone from another platform for the rest. That's because it's reliable and the BlackBerry OS isn't.
    When you weigh all of the pluses and minuses of OS10, while having a couple of great functions and the potential to be a great OS, it's mediocre at best, because the few great things about it are outstripped by the number of things it lacks or were poorly executed, esp. compared to the old OS7 and almost all other phone platforms.
    And I'm tired of hearing how "it's a new OS", "give it time". It's been around for over 3 years and had a great OS that proceeded it and set the benchmark.
    BlackBerry has billions in the bank and can easily afford to bring the OS10 up to speed.
    But a BlackBerry running Android, is just another Google phone, keyboard or not.
    And if I'm not mistaken, the sale of BlackBerry's with hard keyboards is less than 1/2 of the their gesture only phones.
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 08-26-15 at 08:11 PM.
    plmrman likes this.
    08-26-15 07:45 PM
    Can I understand why aren't you already on Samsung or HTC or other Android smartphones?

Just to understand why...

____BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    Because my Z10 still works.
    08-26-15 09:29 PM
    I like having devices that no one else has. No one has BlackBerry phones, it's sort of a fact at this point. I've never encountered another BlackBerry 10 device in the wild, and I work in a very, very public place. Everyone someone saw my Passport, they loved it and wanted to know what OS it ran. As soon as I said BBOS and realized they couldn't install any of their favorite applications (without doing a lot of modifications, etc) they lost complete interest in the device. Like it or not, BlackBerry will sell more phones if they provide an Android alternative.

Why I would love one:
    Works natively with all of the applications I could want.
    Works with smartwatches.
    Latest application updates.
    Variety of hardware accessories.
    Much better media experience.
    Would never have to worry about patched applications.

The list could literally go on.

Why I don't have an Android phone currently:
    There are none that excite me. I like having obscure devices, and quite frankly, every Android device out currently is "just another slab". It might come in different colors, different screen sizes, a pen, USB-C, etc, but they all look pretty similar. They all function pretty similar. I want a phone that no one recognizes, and captures attention when I show it off. No one cares if I have the latest Samsung or iPhone, because everyone has those.

In short, I want an Android-running Passport. I would buy one in a heartbeat, and I would buy an Android-running Classic for my girlfriend. I would then suggest to all of my friends to purchase an Android-running Passport. People don't want to learn a new OS, especially since different OEMs do Android differently. More importantly, people want to be able to download the applications they want. an Android-running BlackBerry would give them the best experience in my opinion.
    08-26-15 10:28 PM
    I like having devices that no one else has. No one has BlackBerry phones, it's sort of a fact at this point. I've never encountered another BlackBerry 10 device in the wild, and I work in a very, very public place. Everyone someone saw my Passport, they loved it and wanted to know what OS it ran. As soon as I said BBOS and realized they couldn't install any of their favorite applications (without doing a lot of modifications, etc) they lost complete interest in the device. Like it or not, BlackBerry will sell more phones if they provide an Android alternative.

Why I would love one:
    Works natively with all of the applications I could want.
    Works with smartwatches.
    Latest application updates.
    Variety of hardware accessories.
    Much better media experience.
    Would never have to worry about patched applications.

The list could literally go on.

Why I don't have an Android phone currently:
    There are none that excite me. I like having obscure devices, and quite frankly, every Android device out currently is "just another slab". It might come in different colors, different screen sizes, a pen, USB-C, etc, but they all look pretty similar. They all function pretty similar. I want a phone that no one recognizes, and captures attention when I show it off. No one cares if I have the latest Samsung or iPhone, because everyone has those.

In short, I want an Android-running Passport. I would buy one in a heartbeat, and I would buy an Android-running Classic for my girlfriend. I would then suggest to all of my friends to purchase an Android-running Passport. People don't want to learn a new OS, especially since different OEMs do Android differently. More importantly, people want to be able to download the applications they want. an Android-running BlackBerry would give them the best experience in my opinion.
    Interesting.

I kinda feel you though with regards to unique devices.
    enixon likes this.
    08-26-15 10:32 PM
    Hey folks! Any idea about when the venice will be launched in India. Cant wait to buy one
    08-26-15 10:41 PM
    Hey folks! Any idea about when the venice will be launched in India. Cant wait to buy one
    Rumour on the block is September 15th.
    08-26-15 11:46 PM
    I didn't know BlackBerry Loyalists were capable of this much unfounded hatred towards Android. The bias is so extreme, I sometimes wonder if they're just being sarcastic.
    plmrman likes this.
    08-27-15 12:19 AM
    I didn't know BlackBerry Loyalists were capable of this much unfounded hatred towards Android. The bias is so extreme, I sometimes wonder if they're just being sarcastic.
    it's not so much hatred as it is a preference to use BB10 over it.
    08-27-15 12:26 AM
    It's actually calmed down over time. I think most folks on CB appreciate mobile technology in general.

I think we have a diverse group, and I enjoy the mature banter.

You'll have your extremists, but that's everywhere on the net.
    08-27-15 01:04 AM
    Build quality. No gimmicks. Excited to see how people respond to the blackberry suite.
    08-27-15 02:36 AM
    i ctually get an email notification on my phone before my computer from yahoo. bb10 is done
    I have ALWAYS got email notification on my blackberry before my laptop or desktop from first day of setting it up
    extisis likes this.
    08-27-15 04:09 AM
    i went to android believing it would be slower, it isn't. the notifications have been a pleasant surprise. i thought i would miss the hub and i'm not. at all
    theboogeyman and Velocitymj like this.
    08-27-15 04:43 AM
    You cannot sustain a modern OS on a million device sales a quarter. BlackBerry could spend all $3 billion they have left on advertising and they wouldn't make a dent.

You argue as if BlackBerry has a choice. We are where we are.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    Yes, but you, among others, state that as if just simply adopting Android will save BlackBerry.

Remind me, who is truly making money off Android besides Google and Samsung?

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-27-15 04:58 AM
    Yes, but you, among others, state that as if just simply adopting Android will save BlackBerry.

Well, popular app developers (ie software, albeit mostly in-app purchases for games, lol). No one knows for sure if an Android powered BB is going to lift sales despite the generally positive articles, but at this point it can't hurt to give it a try, imho. There's also the BlackBerry software experience and it's going to be available on Android, iOS and Windows Phone. Assuming it's well built and competitively priced, there's a lot of potential there as well I'd say.

Between the two (Android BB and cross platform BB experience), that's obviously the focus in Waterloo at the moment. And I don't think they'll jettison BB10 either. They'll keep it going for their niche clients that want a super secure end to end solution for communications. If BlackBerry sees a sales lift from either / both, there's no reason they can't refocus on BB10 and let it continue to mature / grow as a niche OS down the road.
    08-27-15 06:02 AM
    Can I understand why aren't you already on Samsung or HTC or other Android smartphones?

Just to understand why...

____BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    I don't prefer that BB's start running Android, I prefer that there be an active, vibrant app ecosystem available for my BlackBerry just as there is for Androids and iPhones.

But the fact is, that simply hasn't happened. I'm a huge fan of a physical keyboard and BB of course offers the best.

If the best available option for a rich app ecosystem combined with BB's quality hardware is to switch to a heavily skinned, highly functional version of Android on the same top quality hardware, then I'm OK with that.
    08-27-15 06:11 AM
    Between the two (Android BB and cross platform BB experience), that's obviously the focus in Waterloo at the moment. And I don't think they'll jettison BB10 either. They'll keep it going for their niche clients that want a super secure end to end solution for communications. If BlackBerry sees a sales lift from either / both, there's no reason they can't refocus on BB10 and let it continue to mature / grow as a niche OS down the road.
    Sadly, I don't think this is true. I doubt that BB continues to devote resources to what provides very little if any return.

Most corporate users that continue to use BlackBerry do so in spite of the OS, not because of it. I'm sure there are a few that made the buying decision based on some features of BB10, but in general there has been a huge exodus of companies moving to BYOD approaches, and the real fight for BB is MDM in these cases.

Maintaining a branch of Android for all the upcoming devices as well as BB10 for the niche that may want it seems like a splitting of resources that BB can ill afford at this point. I suspect they will enhance Android and retire BB10. It just won't make fiscal sense given the limited install base, especially if they can achive similar or the same results with a customized Android.
    08-27-15 06:15 AM
    I don't hate it, I just feel if I'm going to switch from BB10, it would be my second choice behind iOS. Why buy the copy when I can buy the item Google and Samsung copied? I've been using MacBook and Apple desktops as long as I have used BlackBerry. I see no reason to go to Android, and don't care much for Google's business model. I use Gmail, but any more than that is of no interest to me. I surely won't dump any money into another BlackBerry transition platform. They will abandon it soon anyway.

Posted via Z30
    theboogeyman likes this.
    08-27-15 06:39 AM
    Sadly, I don't think this is true. I doubt that BB continues to devote resources to what provides very little if any return.

Most corporate users that continue to use BlackBerry do so in spite of the OS, not because of it. I'm sure there are a few that made the buying decision based on some features of BB10, but in general there has been a huge exodus of companies moving to BYOD approaches, and the real fight for BB is MDM in these cases.

Maintaining a branch of Android for all the upcoming devices as well as BB10 for the niche that may want it seems like a splitting of resources that BB can ill afford at this point. I suspect they will enhance Android and retire BB10. It just won't make fiscal sense given the limited install base, especially if they can achive similar or the same results with a customized Android.
    Good point. Well, I suppose if they can achieve the same end to end security that they advertise through BB10 / BES12 / Secusmart then it wouldn't make sense to maintain two OSes. I know others have referenced that part of BB's security is hardware based inside the phones themselves and perhaps that's something they can do with a modded Android as well. Hopefully we'll have more information next month.

I think they've been largely silent about this and allowed the leaks to speak for themselves to give people time to adjust to the news. Just a hunch though.
    08-27-15 07:08 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry are developing phones that allow you to choose which OS you would like to run, perhaps a OS10/Android phone is just the first example. I don't know but it's a thought.
    08-27-15 01:40 PM

I hope the understanding among BB10 fans, and BlackBerry enthusiasts in general, is that this isn't anything other than a Hail Mary lob with seconds left on the clock. I find it incredibly unlikely that the move will appreciably increase BlackBerry handset sales but I could easily be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-27-15 02:10 PM

First off, I've never said any such thing. Second, I am not talking about saving BlackBerry - I'm talking about saving BlackBerry's device business (which is something different altogether).

The current path leads to the end of devices. Perhaps, the switch to Android may at least bring about a break-even situation - a far cry from where we are now. If this doesn't work, we're not any worse off.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    08-27-15 05:40 PM
    First off, I've never said any such thing. Second, I am not talking about saving BlackBerry - I'm talking about saving BlackBerry's device business (which is something different altogether).

The current path leads to the end of devices. Perhaps, the switch to Android may at least bring about a break-even situation - a far cry from where we are now. If this doesn't work, we're not any worse off.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Precisely. All the responses about how difficult it will be to make a profit with n Android seem to neglect the current state of BB10 which is more or less toast with a fork in it.
    JohnGrey likes this.
    08-27-15 05:43 PM
    More options are good

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 08:23 PM
    More options are good

Posted via CB10
    no real options if you're killing off [B] and adopting [A]. one option.
    08-28-15 12:43 AM
    Some of us are on global data packages that only BlackBerry provides for a reasonable price.

The BlackBerry hardware - think keyboard - and hub experience with android OS would allow me to run my company apps more smoothly and order my Uber cab without a hitch. (yes I know there are patched versions, but that's the whole point. I shouldn't have to find them)

✈ Sent from my Commodore 64
    rkakkar likes this.
    08-28-15 01:15 AM
286 ... 7891011 ...