I hope the understanding among BB10 fans, and BlackBerry enthusiasts in general, is that this isn't anything other than a Hail Mary lob with seconds left on the clock. I find it incredibly unlikely that the move will appreciably increase BlackBerry handset sales...

Posted via CB10
    Indeed...

Speaking of Mary, if I go into my bathroom right now and do blood Mary, if she appears, that's the odds it will save BlackBerry. Just about. :P

And it gets worse. Early adopters that believe will buy it and soon thereafter be left with yet another EOL product which means an old version of Android with BB's no-longer-updated skin on top of it. I don't know about you but I'm not even remotely intrigued by this Venice crap.

BlackBerry has near zero credibility. If they are going to kill off their own platform after a few years, they think they deserve the trust once again of the early adopters they already screwed over?! Now we are to believe they will stay on top of maintaining their software PLUS it being on top of Android which they have to re-merge every time Google updates?

No way.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 02:48 AM
    First off, I've never said any such thing. Second, I am not talking about saving BlackBerry - I'm talking about saving BlackBerry's device business (which is something different altogether).

The current path leads to the end of devices. Perhaps, the switch to Android may at least bring about a break-even situation - a far cry from where we are now. If this doesn't work, we're not any worse off.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Yes we will be...

More early adopters (hate to say it but nearly-saps at this point) will jump on board and in roughly a year will be left with an eternally-on-Lollipop (therefore unsecure) Android device with some EOL, minor bug fix patch-only BlackBerry suite software mashed on top of it. Excitement!

Save yourself. Cut your losses. Pick your next smartphone OS poison and move on. I know I'm not giving BlackBerry anymore hardware chances until their entire business is significantly cash flow positive including hardware division. I'm still rectally bleeding inside from the Z10 I spent $550 on and a few months later was a phone you couldn't pay a burglar to steal.

JulesDB likes this.
    08-28-15 02:50 AM
    I understand that BlackBerry is a private company that must look for profit... if BlackBerry 10 is not the way then they must move forward.

Posted via CB10
    I think you are confused. They are a Publically Traded Company, not the same as a Private Company. Many of us wish it was a private company, then the stock market wouldn't be involved.
    08-28-15 04:35 AM
    Yes we will be...

More early adopters (hate to say it but nearly-saps at this point) will jump on board and in roughly a year will be left with an eternally-on-Lollipop (therefore unsecure) Android device with some EOL, minor bug fix patch-only BlackBerry suite software mashed on top of it. Excitement!

Save yourself. Cut your losses. Pick your next smartphone OS poison and move on. I know I'm not giving BlackBerry anymore hardware chances until their entire business is significantly cash flow positive including hardware division. I'm still rectally bleeding inside from the Z10 I spent $550 on and a few months later was a phone you couldn't pay a burglar to steal.

My experience is somewhat different then.

I've been very happy with, and obtained full value from my Z10, Z30, and now Passport. No regrets.

I expect the next device to be similar.

jelp2 likes this.
    08-28-15 06:32 AM
    Build quality. No gimmicks. Excited to see how people respond to the blackberry suite.
    all I hear is users sending phones back for repairs and considering how few units are sold a year I do not see how anyone can claim BB build quality..I owned many and I had problems after problems with almost all of them
    08-28-15 10:56 AM
    My experience is somewhat different then.

I've been very happy with, and obtained full value from my Z10, Z30, and now Passport. No regrets.

I expect the next device to be similar.

My Z10 has been good. The battery is just OK. I agree though that it does not pay to be an early adaptor. I also want the same app experience that we have on our Nexus and Iphone devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 11:13 AM
    I'm still rectally bleeding inside from the Z10 I spent $550 on and a few months later was a phone you couldn't pay a burglar to steal.
    I just sold a two year old Z10 for $180. And stop paying full price for phones; this is a crazy practice.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 11:37 AM
    Eh, I already have android runtime on my BlackBerry Classic. But there are no android images that could be put on this beast. :P

I'm sticking with BlackBerry 10, QNX in all glory, instead.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    08-28-15 02:05 PM
    I just sold a two year old Z10 for $180. And stop paying full price for phones; this is a crazy practice.

Posted via CB10
    Why is it crazy? Some mobile customers, myself included, don't treasure the idea of being on-contract for a minimum period.
    08-28-15 02:30 PM
    I'm still rectally bleeding inside from the Z10 I spent $550 on and a few months later was a phone you couldn't pay a burglar to steal.
    Way over the top and not true. Look at ebay and Amazon and you will see brand new Z10's going for at least $150. Not too bad for a 2 1/2 year old phone.
    EVERY phone is a lot of money when first released. I always buy my phones outright about 3 months after release after all the madness is gone. I would never lock myself into a contract with any carrier.
    08-28-15 03:04 PM
    Way over the top and not true. Look at ebay and Amazon and you will see brand new Z10's going for at least $150. Not too bad for a 2 1/2 year old phone.
    EVERY phone is a lot of money when first released. I always buy my phones outright about 3 months after release after all the madness is gone. I would never lock myself into a contract with any carrier.
    Fair, but some devices retain value better than others.
    08-28-15 03:09 PM
    I think you are confused. They are a Publically Traded Company, not the same as a Private Company. Many of us wish it was a private company, then the stock market wouldn't be involved.
    Not sure what the stock market has to do with selling devices.... too many people confuse BlackBerry troubles in the market. BlackBerry's revenues aren't going down because the stock goes down. The stock is going down because BlackBerry's inability to stabilize revenues (much less grow them) and the hovering just in the Black.

Only advantage they would have as a private company would be they wouldn't have to report how badly they are doing.... which I imagine has cuased them to lose customers. But you would still have people monitoring sales and doing channel check, you would still have reports from those that do marketshare reports. So BlackBerry's problems might would be imagined worse than they are if they were private.

Too be honest, Chen might still have to take them private... in order to get his money back.
    08-28-15 03:18 PM
    Why is it crazy? Some mobile customers, myself included, don't treasure the idea of being on-contract for a minimum period.
    I just don't see the benefit of not getting a heavily discounted phone and locking in for a mere two years when you know you're going to be on a monthly plan anyway. Even if you bought out your contract halfway through you'd pay less in the end than buying the phone outright.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 03:22 PM
    I just don't see the benefit of not getting a heavily discounted phone and locking in for a mere two years when you know you're going to be on a monthly plan anyway. Even if you bought out your contract halfway through you'd pay less in the end than buying the phone outright.

Posted via CB10
    You assume alot about the price of a really good new phone. If I buy a one plus for $350 or a zenfone 2 for $299 or a moto g for $220 and use a mvno like cricket how am not paying much less than a contract subsidized phone? The point is you don't have to pay flagship prices to get flagship performance anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen and lift like this.
    08-28-15 03:37 PM
    I sold mine right away when I realized how poor the battery was. Can't believe some people still buy them and use them.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 03:38 PM
    I sold mine right away when I realized how poor the battery was. Can't believe some people still buy them and use them.

Posted via CB10
    There are extended and spare batteries to be bought and used. If anyone cared.
    08-28-15 03:47 PM
    There are extended and spare batteries to be bought and used. If anyone cared.
    I didn't want to go that route but can understand if some did.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 03:51 PM
    You assume alot about the price of a really good new phone. If I buy a one plus for $350 or a zenfone 2 for $299 or a moto g for $220 and use a mvno like cricket how am not paying much less than a contract subsidized phone? The point is you don't have to pay flagship prices to get flagship performance anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Apples and oranges. My comment was in response to someone who said they spent $550 on a Z10. If you're buying a new phone for less than $300 under any circumstances you're doing it right, IMO.

Not to mention ZenPhone and OnePlus, etc. aren't generally offered by carriers from what I've seen (in Canada, at least), so your options if you want that are basically just to buy it outright. Whereas I don't understand anyone paying $800 for a new iPhone when they can kill $450 off the price by signing a 2 year contract.
    08-28-15 04:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    The recent OS updates have improved my Z10 battery life. A 1800 Mha battery is not a 3000 mah battery however.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 06:20 PM
    At the moment, bb10 os is the best among all in the market. We need integration of Google services in the os so to use apps. Its up to BB, how is to be included in OS?

Z30 10.3.2.2639 thru CB10
    08-28-15 06:42 PM
    At the moment, bb10 os is the best among all in the market. We need integration of Google services in the os so to use apps. Its up to BB, how is to be included in OS?

Simple: it cannot. Google won't allow it and there's no incentives for them to.
    08-28-15 07:05 PM

Android Runtime.
    We have to figure out if it's even POSSIBLE to put it in an autoloader.
    08-28-15 07:08 PM
    Whereas I don't understand anyone paying $800 for a new iPhone when they can kill $450 off the price by signing a 2 year contract.
    You DO realize that the $400 "discount" is built into the price of that monthly contract payment, right? You don't really get a discount, you just pay less up front and more each month.
    08-28-15 09:09 PM
    You DO realize that the $400 "discount" is built into the price of that monthly contract payment, right? You don't really get a discount, you just pay less up front and more each month.
    I don't know how your carrier works, but I pay the same per month for service whether I'm on contract or bring my own phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 11:39 AM
    I don't know how your carrier works, but I pay the same per month for service whether I'm on contract or bring my own phone.

Posted via CB10
    Then someone is getting ripped off.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-29-15 12:02 PM
286 ... 89101112