Well, don't forget that Ubuntu phone is coming in December. If this truly is the end of the line for CDMA blackberries that too will be an option...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:16 AM
    I would think if the sales of the passport keep improving, I think Verizon will want to get in on the action. Give it a month or so.

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    This! If VZ thinks they are missing out on sales, they will want it. Just may have wait a while. Me, I'm on AT&T and I'll get a PP when released. In the future, think I'll buy off contact. I don't like the carrier dictating my phone selection.

What the what?
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    09-27-14 08:05 AM
    Why would anyone change platform if someone is happy with their network service and their current phone? I have an unlocked Z30 on T-Mobile And have no issues whatsoever. If I wanted a Passport (which I don't want one), I'd do the same as with my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto. I will buy the unlocked Classic to use on T-mobile if I decide that is the phone for me. We are quite happy with our Q10 and Z10s. Have the 10.3.0.1154 OS on them too. All good. I did try to switch to AT&T for better coverage but after 40 minutes of being passed around (number was already ported and they just needed to activate my Q10) I gave up and stayed with T-Mobile. Getting an AT&T Go Phone for the coverage gap instead.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-27-14 08:16 AM
    Why would anyone change platform if someone is happy with their network service and their current phone? I have an unlocked Z30 on T-Mobile And have no issues whatsoever. If I wanted a Passport (which I don't want one), I'd do the same as with my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Why be concerned with what device choices others make?

And why do you think anyone would be limited to the only 2 choices you offer?

Posted via CB10
    Here is the way I look at it. Which phones sell for the most? Iphones right? So I say, get the new iphone on contract, sell it, and buy the BB you want unlocked and have money left over. I am actually going to do that even though I'm with AT&T. When the Classic comes out, I'll upgrade to the phone that's selling for the most on ebay. Then buying the Classic unlocked from Amazon...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Neither I'm going with classic, I'll pay full if I need to.

Posted via CB10
    Just buy the phone unlocked at Amazon or whatever stores might sell phones unlocked over there in the US and use it. I know it's rather difficult on Verizon but should be an option for T-Mobile customers.
    I am pretty sure even US carriers won't just throw the phones after you and even when some people around here claim they only paid a dollar for their Z30, I am pretty sure the contract pays up over time for the phone.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    Actually, it's not just "difficult" on Verizon, but rather impossible to use a Passport. That's the whole point.
    This. Most carriers in the USA do not allow phones that are not branded by them. Also why would someone wanting a full touch phone settle for a pkb phone they don't want?

Edit: also we can't just change carriers because that other carrier has crap service where we live and go.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-27-14 at 08:24 AM. Reason: not added
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-27-14 08:23 AM
    Thanks for all the responses. I see a lot of you will either be waiting, or doing workarounds on Verizon. These aren't really options for me as I'm ready to upgrade to something else when my contract ends. Apple looks to be the closest platform to BlackBerry in the market at the moment. I used to have android and talk about a clunky bumpy os... never want to go back to that.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 09:08 AM
    Thanks for all the responses. I see a lot of you will either be waiting, or doing workarounds on Verizon. These aren't really options for me as I'm ready to upgrade to something else when my contract ends. Apple looks to be the closest platform to BlackBerry in the market at the moment. I used to have android and talk about a clunky bumpy os... never want to go back to that.

Posted via CB10
    I actually find iOS to be the furthest experience from BB10 of all the choices, but OK. Maybe it just changed in iOS8, but app-centric document handling and no file manager are too far away from how I like to work.
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-27-14 09:17 AM
    I'm not on AT&T and I don't plan to switch to Apple or Android... I plan on using my Passport when it arrives... and, oh... I'm on Telus... wait, what was this thread about again?
    Oh sure, rub it in ;-). Those of us in the US unfortunately are stick with lousy service regardless of carrier. Sure, the technology is good, and for some carriers signal and data speeds are good, but all carriers have a horrible business model that limits options for everyone.

As to the question posed by AlaJack, I've said before I'm waiting for a contract with Sprint to expire so I can shop around. Verizon might be a better choice than AT&T on a national scale, but in the Boston area they are all fairly equivalent, with the only differences being in customer service, and there it is a matter of which is slightly "less bad" than the others.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-27-14 09:52 AM
    Actually, it's not just "difficult" on Verizon, but rather impossible to use a Passport. That's the whole point.
    Yes! This is exactly the point. Thanks.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    kbz1960 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    09-27-14 12:07 PM
    So for those of us not on AT&T, and either can't switch or don't want to switch (me) carriers, what platform will you switch to when your contract expires?

My Verizon agreement ends in March 2015 and I'll go with Apple.

Posted via CB10
    OK I think that my understanding is that since Verizon isn't getting the Passport and that you don't want to switch to AT&T.... you're getting the iPhone?

But you're still not getting the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 12:36 PM
    OK I think that my understanding is that since Verizon isn't getting the Passport and that you don't want to switch to AT&T.... you're getting the iPhone?

But you're still not getting the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    Well he isn't going to get a passport staying with vzw.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-27-14 12:41 PM
    This! If VZ thinks they are missing out on sales, they will want it. Just may have wait a while.
    This is purely wistful thinking. A number of Windows Phone models have had "amazing" sales (relative to BB10) for years and none of the carriers ever feel inclined to carry them. For example, the Lumia 520 is neither on Verizon or Sprint.

Verizon (and all the other carrier in the US) is either going to carry the Passport or it isn't and 200k unit sales isn't going to change its mind. It's a blip on the map next to the big dogs from Apple or Samsung or even lesser OEMs like LG or Sony.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-27-14 01:03 PM
    On T-Mobile and will buy a BlackBerry outright if I have to...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 01:11 PM
    Haven't seen any info on this myself, but it's also possible that phones compatible with other carriers could eventually be available directly through ShopBlackBerry.com. Although that never happened with the Z30 for AT&T, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that, either ...
    09-27-14 01:36 PM
    I switched from verizon which I was a customer for almost 9 years to AT&T because of one thing. GSM vs CDMA. Once you go AT&T you can always get the latest bb because blackberry will always have a gsm model phone first. In NYC the difference between verizon and AT&T is negligible.
    09-27-14 02:52 PM
    This is purely wistful thinking. A number of Windows Phone models have had "amazing" sales (relative to BB10) for years and none of the carriers ever feel inclined to carry them. For example, the Lumia 520 is neither on Verizon or Sprint.
    Okay, if that's the case, then maybe a better reason would be if some large corporate customers of Verizon started asking for BB handsets in general, or the Passport in particular.
    I'm still a little on the fence on whether or not I would buy one. As far as work goes, 100% no question that format is superior to anything else out there for my work - which entails a LOT of document consumption. Contracts, Proposals, Sketches, CAD drawings - mostly in PDF format, all while I am out in the field.
    I was a little concerned about leisure time use, but I'm starting to lean towards the fun of pulling that bad boy out and listening to the reactions. My attitude would just be - "Yup, this giant thing is my phone, I WIN..." LOL
    09-27-14 03:30 PM
    For everyone saying stuff like "oh why do I have to switch, oh but you can do this, why ios? " OP asked a reasonable question, Verizon is his preferred carrier, he can't buy an unlocked phone because Verizon doesn't offer service for those. So he asked the people who are in the same situation his question. I just don't think those who aren't in that situation should get aggressive and post in the thread.

Hey OP! IM on the same boat and when my z10 contract expires I'm going to have a tough time deciding on ios 6 and Motorola droids. I think the fact that iphones no longer have push for Gmail is slowly convincing me towards android but it's only a small issue. We'll see

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:31 PM
    Even if you're not with AT&T, is there any reason to switch platforms just because the latest release of your preferred platform isn't available on your carrier?

If the mobile business had proven anything... In 6-9 months there will probably be BB devices specific to VZW/Sprint.

If you're currently happy with your current device, are you really going to change platforms just because the newest device isn't available to you? If that's the case, then you weren't too happy to begin with.

Penned via Tapatalk
    09-27-14 04:12 PM
    I would encourage those that want the passport to either go to AT&T or buy it from Shop BlackBerry. That way, carriers would beg BlackBerry for the next phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 04:15 PM
    I don't speak for everyone, but yes, I will switch platforms because the latest one isn't available for my carrier. It isn't the fact that I can't get a passport, it's the fact that 2 years with z10 are coming up. These two years were enjoyable but it's nice to have an device with updated specs. Man, through all the battery pulls, installing leaks and everything, my z10s been a great workhorse but everyone needs change. I don't consider the z30 a z10 successor but if there was one, I'd jump on it if it was for verizon. So longg BB!! I'll be back in the future!

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-27-14 07:17 PM
    You know you don't HAVE to spend another $600+ on a different phone when your contract expires right? You can stay with the one you have. SMH.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur and anon(4268859) like this.
    09-27-14 07:18 PM
    Reading all these threads it occurs to me how easy the Apple and Samsung folks have it. Knowing when their preferred manufacturer releases a phone they can get it (budget permitting) with no worries about availability or compatibility. That is appealing.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:58 PM
    I don't have at&t... I got a Passport through Shop BlackBerry and am using it on T-Mobile and it's perfect.

That's kind of the whole point of BlackBerry selling phones directly....

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:54 PM
    Even if you're not with AT&T, is there any reason to switch platforms just because the latest release of your preferred platform isn't available on your carrier?

If the mobile business had proven anything... In 6-9 months there will probably be BB devices specific to VZW/Sprint.

If you're currently happy with your current device, are you really going to change platforms just because the newest device isn't available to you? If that's the case, then you weren't too happy to begin with.

Penned via Tapatalk
    In a different scenario, that may be true. But the Passport is a somewhat radical departure, and there is nothing else out there quite like it. If you want that experience, and you are on Verizon, the disappointment is understandable. We are not talking about the move from an L2 to an L3, or an iPhone 5s to an iPhone 6. This is something very different and, for some, very exciting. Doesn't mean they aren't happy with what they have. If they weren't, they wouldn't be looking at another BB10 offering. They just want to take what they have to the next level. You really don't get that?
    Also, in the past what you say could probably be counted on. The Z30 has not been handled well. Blame BB, or Verizon - who really knows. Then this. Things are not as certain any more what, when, if another BB10 device will hit VZW.
    09-27-14 11:04 PM
    Good for you. Its just a phone dude. Move on with life.
    Are you aware that you're part of a discussion forum that relates to smartphones? Or did you create an account to troll?

Posted via Q10RR
    09-28-14 12:00 AM
    You know you don't HAVE to spend another $600+ on a different phone when your contract expires right? You can stay with the one you have. SMH.

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry I won't be spending $600+ after my contract ends. It will be $200 MAX with contract and guess what, that works for me. Crazy right?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 01:00 AM
103 1234 ...