The words "Thor" and "right" (about pretty much anything) aren't something I ever expect to see in a sentence.
    1. Heins' remark had nothing to do with the tablet market. He had absolutely no ability to predict anything. He was merely trying to cover his rear end with a sour grape excuse for his failure to sustain the life of Playbook.

2. Besides, sadly, there is no "tablet market" per se anyway. There is only an 'iPad market".
    08-02-14 04:41 PM
    1. Heins' remark had nothing to do with the tablet market. He had absolutely no ability to predict anything. He was merely trying to cover his rear end with a sour grape excuse for his failure to sustain the life of Playbook.

2. Besides, sadly, there is no "tablet market" per se anyway. There is only an 'iPad market".
    Second statement is very untrue galaxy tabs have sold a bunch and will sell more as android becomes more and more stable

Win8 tabs like surface sell quite a lot since basically an ultrabook

People perfer ipads only because apple is behind them but people are definitely buying other tabs then them.

Thats like saying there is no phone market just a galaxy market

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-02-14 05:57 PM
    Second statement is very untrue galaxy tabs have sold a bunch and will sell more as android becomes more and more stable
    Yes, it was of course a tongue-in-cheek remark
    But tablets won't sell in isolation. It is situated between handheld devices and laptop/desktop with well developed app and ecosystem, which RIM did not have at the time they launched the Playbook.
    Tablets from other makers are selling well but they were not the category creators. They dipped into the market that was resurrected/created by Apple.

BTW, I am an admirer/user of Apple products but in no way a fanboy. My daily driver is the Bold 9900. Yes, I am one of those Bold holdouts, waiting to see if the Classic would be any good. I have to put this proviso every time I mention Apple in CB forum
    08-02-14 06:09 PM
    Tablets from other makers are selling well but they were not the category creators. They dipped into the market that was resurrected/created by Apple.
    Again with an untrue statement.

Apple has never invented/created anything. (there are plenty of videos and sites you can go to vaildate it)

They just innovate it to make it consumer friendly and market the hell out of it,making it sound like it's a whole new technology (smart approach )

They made the category popular but in no way created it. Which is good for them.

Tbh I dont care if you are an apple fanboy or not. Just stop making up facts lol

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    08-02-14 06:30 PM
    Again with an untrue statement.

Apple has never invented/created anything. (there are plenty of videos and sites you can go to vaildate it)

They just innovate it to make it consumer friendly and market the hell out of it,making it sound like it's a whole new technology (smart approach )

They made the category popular but in no way created it. Which is good for them.

Tbh I dont care if you are an apple fanboy or not. Just stop making up facts lol

Posted via CB10
    Oh, sorry, I did not think we were arguing. I was still in a tongue-in-cheek mode, LOL. I never said that Apple invented/created the market. I said "resurrected/created" it, if you read carefully.

If you really want to argue who invented the "tablet", perhaps it was M$. But on the question of who "created" the true and viable tablet "market", I must say it was Apple when they carefully launched theirs complete with very usable app/eco system, only when the market truly became meaningful and took off.

But I do concede to you, as I am no expert on anything.

Also, I was talking in the context of Hein's failure, not as an Apple user, if that bothered you.

Have a good day!
    TgeekB and sentimentGX4 like this.
    08-02-14 06:44 PM
    I like tablets but only for reading books and watching movies / videos. I wouldn't spend more than $200 on one, though, probably less.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 09:12 PM
    Tablets will be used as chopping board in the kitchen.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 04:44 AM
    Source?

Last I read, Galaxy Tabs were struggling and being completely smoked by the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire series. Even now, I see a myriad of Android OEMs in the 7" market (Asus, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) that can stand toe to toe with the Galaxy series.

10" Android tablets are a rarity, though, and I admit the Galaxy Note series may lead that small market. Android tablets are heavily driven by value, ATM, and consumers appear disinterested in paying $400+ for a 10" Android tablet. 10" tablets truly are an iPad market.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 08-03-14 at 05:14 AM.
    08-03-14 04:57 AM
    Source?

Last I read, Galaxy Tabs were struggling and being completely smoked by the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire series. Even now, I see a myriad of Android OEMs in the 7" market (Asus, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) that can stand toe to toe with the Galaxy series.

10" Android tablets are a rarity, though, and I admit the Galaxy Note series may lead that small market. Android tablets are heavily driven by value, ATM, and consumers appear disinterested in paying $400+ for a 10" Android tablet. 10" tablets truly are an iPad market.
    http://www.dailytech.com/Samsungs+St...ticle34817.htm

Surprisingly iPad's Drop In Sales Is Not Samsung's Gain, Welcome To Tablet Transformation
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnsha...ransformation/

it's going to end up like iPhones, they started off booming but now that android is becoming more stable people are buying android. If anything the tablet market will become more balanced in the next couple of years.

Android is making an OS called Android L which is looking stable and a nice user friendly skin. More people are going to buy into it "worldwide".

Also Win8 tab (laptop like) are only going to grow especially when they update it to win 9 since win8 was kind of a fail. They are coming out with a new "8.1 updated 2" update so who knows what they will bring. Win 8 tabs are insanely powerful, you can use them as a laptop. Windows 8 (computer OS) is new to the app game but they will catch on.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 08-03-14 at 01:28 PM.
    08-03-14 01:09 PM
    I noticed some carriers in the UK are giving away ipads for free at the moment.
    Make if that what you will.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:15 PM
    I noticed some carriers in the UK are giving away ipads for free at the moment.
    Make if that what you will.

Posted via CB10
    TD bank in Canada has those promotions all the time. So it sounds about right..
    08-03-14 02:31 PM
    TD bank in Canada has those promotions all the time. So it sounds about right..
    Royal Bank as well, I do believe it's an indication that tablets are on the decline.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 03:21 PM
    Royal Bank as well, I do believe it's an indication that tablets are on the decline.

Posted via CB10
    That could be true, but from a quick look around the internet I really just see ipads declining a bit.

Like I said above android is getting more stable and cosumer friendly and Win8 are coming with snap off keyboards or flexing 360 degree angles.

Personally I have no use for a tablet but if I were to get one I would be replcing a laptop with a win8 one for speed and performance.

I have 3lb ultrabook which is why I would never buy a tablet but for moms, couch surfers, travellers, business meetings, kids and clash of clan addicts there will always be a need for them in my eyes. Reason is that they are just a user friendly as a phone with a bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 06:49 PM
    That could be true, but from a quick look around the internet I really just see ipads declining a bit.

Like I said above android is getting more stable and cosumer friendly and Win8 are coming with snap off keyboards or flexing 360 degree angles.

Personally I have no use for a tablet but if I were to get one I would be replcing a laptop with a win8 one for speed and performance.

I have 3lb ultrabook which is why I would never buy a tablet but for moms, couch surfers, travellers, business meetings, kids and clash of clan addicts there will always be a need for them in my eyes. Reason is that they are just a user friendly as a phone with a bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps but I think it's hay day is now over , especially with the advent of the phablets. Additionally with devices like the Surface line ,which is a full computer in tablet form,with detachable key board, I see that either the tablet as we know it, taking on more the capabilities as the Surface range, if it's to survive.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 07:14 PM
    Perhaps but I think it's hay day is now over , especially with the advent of the phablets. Additionally with devices like the Surface line ,which is a full computer in tablet form,with detachable key board, I see that either the tablet as we know it, taking on more the capabilities as the Surface range, if it's to survive.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting way to look at it

The way I look at it, is a 1lb laptop substitute. That are trying to take out ultrabooks. I would never have an ultrabook and a tablet.

But both work. Different opinions

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 07:26 PM
    Don't think so. Problem is tablet market is sooo saturated and then you have a bunch that are junk and then the ipad which has set the bar pretty high. I think that tablet manufacturers will have to stop making small jumps with their hardware. They release a new version every month it seems!! and nothing innovative.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 07:36 PM
    I think he is half right. What will probably happen is tablet and smartphone converge. In that sense, tablet will be "dead" and the future is moving towards "phablet", a trend started by Samsung Galaxy Note devices. Right now, everyone seems to be still trying to find that "goldilock zone" of size and portability. BlackBerry thinks Passport with its 4.5 inch screen is the answer.
    Absolutely do not like the Note or any other Phablet for that matter. I don't want to carry a tablet around as a phone. Too big, but hey there's a market for it, it's just not for me!

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 10:22 PM
    I like having a separate tablet, but with my Playbook played out and no more updates coming ever. I need to decide what tablet to get next. Any suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 10:31 PM
    Personally I don't need a tablet. My z30 has taken a lot of use off of my laptop. My laptop has a 17 inch screen, holds all my music and pictures, which can be burned to cd whenever I want. To make room or just have a backup copy. I don't watch movies on my z30 but I do on my laptop. I don't want a tablet. I bought a laptop because they still do a ton, tablets can't. At work we have to be mobile with writing run reports. Ems worker in case my user name didn't tip you off. We have a surface pro tablet that sucks for that compared to the little hp elite books that we also have. I hope laptops aren't phased out by tablets. That would suck.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 11:22 PM
    Don't think so. Problem is tablet market is sooo saturated and then you have a bunch that are junk and then the ipad which has set the bar pretty high. I think that tablet manufacturers will have to stop making small jumps with their hardware. They release a new version every month it seems!! and nothing innovative.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about that, hardware wise most are ahead of ipad. It's the software which is bringing them back.

You are thinking about a macbook in the laptop market. There is a lot of junk in the laptop market an macbook's pricing is actually inline with the specs.

It is hard finding a good spec tablet but most would go with gaalxy anyways because of the name. But wp8 tablets are light years a head spec wise (surface pro 3 is probably faster then your current computer unless your a gamer)
    but doesn't contain as many apps.

Overall experience, ipad has it but like I said above android is catching up very fast.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 08:35 AM
    I don't know about that, hardware wise most are ahead of ipad. It's the software which is bringing them back.

You are thinking about a macbook in the laptop market. There is a lot of junk in the laptop market an macbook's pricing is actually inline with the specs.

It is hard finding a good spec tablet but most would go with gaalxy anyways because of the name. But wp8 tablets are light years a head spec wise (surface pro 3 is probably faster then your current computer unless your a gamer)
    but doesn't contain as many apps.

Overall experience, ipad has it but like I said above android is catching up very fast.

Posted via CB10
    Not just faster.. but like the surface RT, would I be able to run softwares such as adobe and such on it?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 11:44 AM
    Not just faster.. but like the surface RT, would I be able to run softwares such as adobe and such on it?

Posted via CB10
    Seems like it

http://blog.surface.com/2014/05/choc...obe-photoshop/

Its certainly powerful enough just doesn't scale very good

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 03:22 PM
    As phone displays get bigger, and phones get more powerful and populated with apps, the tablet will die.. All tablets except for the Surface as it is more than a tablet

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 04:29 PM
    As phone displays get bigger, and phones get more powerful and populated with apps, the tablet will die.. All tablets except for the Surface as it is more than a tablet

Posted via CB10
    So you will never need a 10" screen or are phones going to get that big?

�To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others� Buddha
    08-04-14 04:42 PM
    I have a playbook that I don't use anymore... not because it's not functional but because my z10 pretty much does everything a tablet works do

Posted via CB10
    Qq

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    08-04-14 05:02 PM
156 12345 ...