I have no desire for a new tablet, but if my PB was as snappy as my Z10 still is, I'd still use it way more often (Couch companion for example). For now, it's relegated to remote Juke-Box for streaming music to my home stereo from the patio.
    08-01-14 02:39 PM
    I have a playbook that I don't use anymore... not because it's not functional but because my z10 pretty much does everything a tablet works do

Posted via CB10
    Sure they do, but with a smaller screen. My Nexus 5 and 10 are nearly identical but why would I surf CrackBerry on the 5 unless I'm out and about? In other words, I'm getting old and I like the larger screen. LOL.

�To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others� Buddha
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-01-14 07:25 PM
    I use my Retina iPad (4th gen) all the time, but I see no need to upgrade. As long as it run the latest OS and the battery holds a charge it does not need to be replaced. It will never replace my computer, but I use it a lot for Web browsing, entertainment, and reading. I really hate using anything smaller than it's 9.7 inch screen. My smartphone is my third string device. I only use it for calls and when the tablet or computer are impractical. or when needed as a hotspot.

Apple still sold over 13 million of them last quarter, so even though sales are down and it's not growing anymore doesn't mean it's a bad business to be in. Apple will still sell over 50 million of them this year.
    08-01-14 07:56 PM
    Yes, yes he was.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 08:29 PM
    Heins wasn't right about much.

08-01-14 08:38 PM
    What I would love is a blackberry powered laptop mac book air style. That would be awesome. With my Z30, I don't need a tablet anymore, but I do need a laptop to get real work done. I can't stand Windows 8, and I don't like where mac os is going... A BB10 powered laptop that would work with MS Office would be immensely popular in the business world.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman and jakie55 like this.
    08-01-14 08:38 PM
    If tablet makers hope to stay competitive with the other options out there they'd better increase the hard drive space. Decent apps are getting bigger and bigger. It's a drag to be limited in the number of apps due to space restrictions.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 10:00 PM
    I personally think that tablets are here to stay. I'm not too keen on phablets due to their size, not really comfortable in the pocket.

I really like the concept of using it as an extended screen for viewing documents and media on a bigger screen size without really going through setting up your laptop and everything. Plus it's more handy than netbooks.

I'd still buy an updated playbook if given a chance.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 10:44 PM
    Bestest Thorsten Heins was critized way too fast. I liked him a lot.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 12:21 AM
    Bestest Thorsten Heins was critized way too fast. I liked him a lot.

Posted via CB10
    Not the guy to pull BlackBerry thats for sure. The overconfidence in a device that wasn't software ready was bad.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and Flatman like this.
    08-02-14 01:04 AM
    No. Because it depends on a person if he/she prefer tablets for what he/she do.

Windows surface line up will stand strong one day.
    (my reply to the thread title)

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 03:17 AM
    I think that the tablets will replace the computers in the future. In terms of tablets I think Microsoft is going the correct directions of having more functionality in the tablets.

Once the tablets can do all a computer can do it will phase out the computers. Phablets & smartphones will complement tablets in the future.

Posted via CB10
    Umm no, tablets cannot replace computers.

1) Tablets, being focused on portability, will never be as fast as a computer of a similar price.
    How are you going to have Quadro graphic cards for work with a tablet thickness? This is ridiculous.

2) faster internals also generate more heat. Just because you can fit a high specced internal in a tablet does not mean it is going to actually work well in use. Many tablets on the market already have overheat issues because of this. You need the thickness to sufficiently cool. This is especially important for work computers that need to be turned on 24/7.

3) Desktop PCs and laptops are still alive and well in the business world because they last forever. How serviceable is an Ipad compared to a Thinkpad for instance?

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-02-14 03:21 AM
    I wouldn't say never...just not at the moment.
    Flatman likes this.
    08-02-14 03:35 AM
    Heins wasn't right about much.

“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others” Buddha
    The words "Thor" and "right" (about pretty much anything) aren't something I ever expect to see in a sentence.

From the day he was appointed as CEO, with his zombie-like public persona, his nonsensical statements that were always "interpreted" by BB subordinates shortly afterwards, to his uninspiring leadership style... I knew Mike had appointed the wrong guy for the job. I grew increasingly incredulous at the hero-worship on CB for all things Thor and started to think I was the kid in that "Emperor has no Clothes" story. LOL

I do like Chen though.

On topic: Tablets aren't going anywhere IMO. The market seems close to saturation but they'll recover and may become the only device you use (in various form factors from phablet to surface-sized).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-02-14 05:01 AM
    Nah, tablets are here to stay. The "problem" (for sellers and manufacturers) is that tablets are a secondary device that get lighter or more restricted use (thus their apparent performance doesn't degrade as much as a phone), they are less likely to be physically damaged (since they aren't placed in pockets and thrown around like phones), and... are seen as a "luxury", "add-on", or "splurge" product that doesn't really need to be replaced or updated as often as a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting enough about low power tablets when the surface 3 has a i7 processed and 8gig of ram. If tablets want to survive they MUST follow Microsoft in the race or suffer being obsolete and redundant. I pad, fuff

Z10
    08-02-14 05:31 AM
    If you listen to shows like "The Tech Guy" you would hear from a large multitude of people for whom a computer simply isn't relevant for any more, considering the problems they are likely to have over time and their inability to deal with them.

For those people who only read and respond to emails, look at web pages, do a skype chat with the kids etc the tablet is perfect. No troubles with Win 8, no video card problems, no why is there no sound coming out of this thing... Think of the "failure" rate of a laptop or desktop computer with these folks and compare it to a tablet that has none of these problems

Tablets aren't going anywhere soon. It's funny how we judge success. Manufacturers are still selling them by the boatloads, just growth has stagnated as folks get them and use them, mostly very successfully. I try to think anecdotally on topics like this and I am pretty sure that most of my friends and family have and use frequently a tablet device of some kind, and like what they have.

Oh and I agree Thorsten wasn't right about many things, including this thing.
    08-02-14 09:25 AM
    I think that the tablets will replace the computers in the future. In terms of tablets I think Microsoft is going the correct directions of having more functionality in the tablets.

Once the tablets can do all a computer can do it will phase out the computers. Phablets & smartphones will complement tablets in the future.

Posted via CB10
    I think the opposite is happening. Pc/ desktop will become niche products used for heavy computing. Larger screens in most cases will complement the phone/ mobile device.
    08-02-14 10:32 AM
    If you listen to shows like "The Tech Guy" you would hear from a large multitude of people for whom a computer simply isn't relevant for any more, considering the problems they are likely to have over time and their inability to deal with them.

For those people who only read and respond to emails, look at web pages, do a skype chat with the kids etc the tablet is perfect. No troubles with Win 8, no video card problems, no why is there no sound coming out of this thing... Think of the "failure" rate of a laptop or desktop computer with these folks and compare it to a tablet that has none of these problems

Tablets aren't going anywhere soon. It's funny how we judge success. Manufacturers are still selling them by the boatloads, just growth has stagnated as folks get them and use them, mostly very successfully. I try to think anecdotally on topics like this and I am pretty sure that most of my friends and family have and use frequently a tablet device of some kind, and like what they have.

Oh and I agree Thorsten wasn't right about many things, including this thing.
    A large majority of educational applications are still for built pc not for tablets. Applications for work and such. Tablets imo are consumer driven.. not work driven often.

Media consumption especially

I remember my first day in my sociology class I saw about 4 surface tablets. They all brought it to class the first week or so. After that it was gone.
    08-02-14 12:19 PM
    no,
    tablets are slowly turning into ultrabooks. (with removable keyboards or keyboard cases)

the new surface pro is more powerful then most peoples computers/laptops.

apple has sold 170million ipads in total

Tablet sales to overtake PCs this quarter | News | PC Pro

if anything laptops and tablets will kill pc's , 3lb ultrabooks are more powerful then most people's PC's

if your travelling it makes no sense to bring a 5+ lb laptop (90% of laptops are over that) when you can bring a 1-2lb tablet then you can put in your backpack pocket.

For business you can put in your brief case. ipads have full blown microsoft office. Look how many ipads are being used for business now.

EVERYTHING is turning out to be handheld. That was a stupid assumption on his part. Especially for an enterprise company. Business men are always on the move bringing their laptop/tablets to meetings, travelling and etc.
    JeepBB and Berry_Pink like this.
    08-02-14 03:11 PM
    So what about those ultra thin pc? People still love their hard drive space

Posted via CB10
    micro SDs are getting bigger and bigger: 128GB is the largest i know to date.

SSD hard drives are getting smaller, some ultrabooks that are 3lbs come with 512gb of ssd.

the days of having a pc are ending. ASUS UX303LN is 3lbs are is just as powerful has some gaming pcs
    08-02-14 03:23 PM
    A large majority of educational applications are still for built pc not for tablets. Applications for work and such. Tablets imo are consumer driven.. not work driven often.

Media consumption especially

I remember my first day in my sociology class I saw about 4 surface tablets. They all brought it to class the first week or so. After that it was gone.
    True but I think as tech advances tablets will become as powerful as today's PC. When computers first came out they were huge and only for businesses. How times have changed.

08-02-14 03:34 PM
    True but I think as tech advances tablets will become as powerful as today's PC. When computers first came out they were huge and only for businesses. How times have changed.

“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others” Buddha
    surpace pro is already there bro, i7 4th gen processor. Plus there are plenty of laptops with snap off keyboards which are essentially tablets.
    08-02-14 03:37 PM
    analysts these days are clueless and writers just want to write about anything to get people to read it.
    08-02-14 03:43 PM
    No. He wasn't right.
    08-02-14 03:49 PM
    surpace pro is already there bro, i7 4th gen processor. Plus there are plenty of laptops with snap off keyboards which are essentially tablets.
    Haven't used one personally but have heard from others that it's pretty sweet.

08-02-14 04:07 PM
156 1234 ...