Does the report today from 'Re/Code' Best Buy CEO Says Tablet Sales ?Crashing? | Re/code confirm T.H.'s prediction a year ago? BlackBerry CEO: Tablets will be dead in five years - The Washington Post
    Or is it over saturation as some had said.
    I think there will always be a place for tablets, E-books, kids entertainment, Facebook ,Twitter and many more things people enjoy in the tablet format. But I'm looking for mobile computing to do the heavy lifting...particularly The BlackBerry Mobile Computer.
    Almost forgot this link from P.C. mag 2 Months ago. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457318,00.asp
    ReneV likes this.
    07-31-14 09:09 PM
    I think he is half right. What will probably happen is tablet and smartphone converge. In that sense, tablet will be "dead" and the future is moving towards "phablet", a trend started by Samsung Galaxy Note devices. Right now, everyone seems to be still trying to find that "goldilock zone" of size and portability. BlackBerry thinks Passport with its 4.5 inch screen is the answer.
    07-31-14 09:20 PM
    Nah, tablets are here to stay. The "problem" (for sellers and manufacturers) is that tablets are a secondary device that get lighter or more restricted use (thus their apparent performance doesn't degrade as much as a phone), they are less likely to be physically damaged (since they aren't placed in pockets and thrown around like phones), and... are seen as a "luxury", "add-on", or "splurge" product that doesn't really need to be replaced or updated as often as a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:28 PM
    I have a playbook that I don't use anymore... not because it's not functional but because my z10 pretty much does everything a tablet works do

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:49 PM
    Tablets will get larger and will replace the notebook. Phones will only get as big as one will allow them to be comfortably raised to their ears.

BBQ10
    07-31-14 09:52 PM
    Economics 101. There is too much supply out driving prices down. Also pretty much everyone owns one and whatever the use they are usually disposable. Causing the demand to stagnate and plateau even decrease. No they are not death and won't be for a while now that the whole world had one.
    Like PCs And laptops the next stage is to see how the next big thing does. The race will also consists in who comes up with the baddest and better toy to increase demand.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    spikesolie, chalx and Flatman like this.
    07-31-14 11:19 PM
    As already alluded to, tablets always represented a middle ground of sorts between laptops and smartphones. I think Thorstein was right to see that eventually the emergence of bigger smartphones and lighter laptops was going their overall usefulness. As Oglon3r mentioned, their use as a convenience or luxury item has meant people aren't too eager to upgrade them at nearly the same rate as a smart phone. As much as BB10 would rock on a larger screen, I think Thornstein was right to stay away. Seems like everyone but Apple is having a really hard time competing on anything but price. I would totally invest in a cheap android tablet if fuze developed into a big deal.
    Flatman likes this.
    07-31-14 11:28 PM
    It will slowly lose market if they're able to successfully do phablet and ultra books. The thing about tablet is the portability and screen size. But it cannot do what you normally do in a laptop that's why they're creating these hybrids but still at a very early phase. Microsoft Surface Pro said can run a full program like Photoshop and others not sure if it can smoothly at this time but maybe in the future unless Apple beats them to it.

via Q10
    07-31-14 11:31 PM
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 11:36 PM
    Tablet sales may slow down, as in not expanding at such an incredible rate as before, but I don't think that they will be dead in the next few years as predicted by Heins. Not dead in the sense that netbooks are dead, and certainly not dead as a result of dumb screens that are powered by phones. I see no evidence that the slowdown in tablets is a result of an overall switch to so-called mobile computing. It seems more likely to be the result of a slower upgrade cycle and perhaps also the result of the current popularity of phablets. I think the idea of dumb screens taking over was always kind of dumb, and the tablet form factor is still better for some things like reading and various enterprise uses. Despite BlackBerry's current strategy, an iPad is a much better way to view an X-ray than a Passport.
    Troy Tiscareno and TGR1 like this.
    08-01-14 01:29 AM
    I think he meant Blackberry tablet.
    It was fortunate that he did not make such comment about smart phone.

And the tablet is turning into something similar to the Lenovo Helix.
    08-01-14 02:04 AM
    I think tablets will be crushed by phablets and hybrid ultrabooks. I mean unless u r a kid who plays candyy crush the whole day, I find it difficult (for not saying abnormal) to prefer a tablet over a full functioning PC that can be a tablet.

Powered by Blackberry
    08-01-14 04:07 AM
    i have motorola xoom.
    I have used it twice in last 8 months after I bought my Z10..
    08-01-14 04:15 AM
    Nah, tablets are here to stay. The "problem" (for sellers and manufacturers) is that tablets are a secondary device that get lighter or more restricted use (thus their apparent performance doesn't degrade as much as a phone), they are less likely to be physically damaged (since they aren't placed in pockets and thrown around like phones), and... are seen as a "luxury", "add-on", or "splurge" product that doesn't really need to be replaced or updated as often as a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    You've just described my use of my tablet. My iPad is two and a half years old and still running smoothly with no crashes or lag. No reason for me to upgrade. And I haven't got the addiction that I've hot for phones. Plus there is the cost. Phones I can get on contract. Not my iPad. So....I'm waiting until my iPad starts to show its age by becoming laggy or by beginning to give me trouble.

For now, I'm good.
    Flatman and spikesolie like this.
    08-01-14 04:29 AM
    Thing is, tablet features haven't really improved much. Is there that much difference between the ipad 2 and later models to justify spending another $500 and more within a couple of years when you already bought a 2? Other than retina display.

In other words, the market left the growth phase and entered the mature phase. There is a need for tablets.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-01-14 04:45 AM
    What someone said, which I agree with, is the merging of phones and tablets.

The phablet era is what is going to slowly, kill off tablets, I believe.
    08-01-14 04:52 AM
    I think it's just that ipads despite not having top of the range specs are performing so well they can be kept for years without needing a faster model. I still have an ipad 2 that works just as well as my ipad mini and my mipad (xiaomi android top of the range). There's a lot of use for tablets imo, they're a happy medium between laptops and phones so they'll be in demand for a few years to come until the hybrids get thinner and lighter, there's just not as much demand to upgrade atm.
    TGR1 and chalx like this.
    08-01-14 06:13 AM
    He was too straightforward about it. Should have chosen another way to say it. Maybe it's true, but nobody wants to hear it.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 07:25 AM
    Saturation is part of it.

Size is the other one. 10" was a good size for a data consumption device. But it's still too big for it's use. I can see the 10" tablet being replaced by 13" form factor like the Surface line. I already have one of my "C" wanting to ditch his 13-14" laptop for a 13" Surface Pro.

I'm not sure the phablet will really be here to stay. It's and awkward device size. A bit too large for a phone and a bit too small for a useful tablet. Once the screen size gets beyond 6", it's a bit big for a phone.

I can see a line of 6" phones, and then 13"+ laptop replacements. But those need to run a desktop OS.
    08-01-14 08:38 AM
    I think it's just that ipads despite not having top of the range specs are performing so well they can be kept for years without needing a faster model. I still have an ipad 2 that works just as well as my ipad mini and my mipad (xiaomi android top of the range). There's a lot of use for tablets imo, they're a happy medium between laptops and phones so they'll be in demand for a few years to come until the hybrids get thinner and lighter, there's just not as much demand to upgrade atm.
    You assume the only tablet is an ipad. Lol

Even things like surface.. it's awesome but it's not taking the place of a pc or a phone

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:33 AM
    I think there's also a matter of trust. If you feel you have to do something your phone can't do, people would rather trust their pc because except for the surface RT all these other tablets are just a bigger screen extension of phones. No actual advantage.

My playbook is only used for soccer streaming connected to hdmi. I have no problems with it but even for individual streaming at night, I prefer holding my phone and my z10 can do everything it does. I've tried to force myself to use it and just can't get much use for it anymore

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:37 AM
    You assume the only tablet is an ipad. Lol

Even things like surface.. it's awesome but it's not taking the place of a pc or a phone

Posted via CB10
    Obviously not. I was using them as an example, surface tablets have gotten a lot better over the past few years but iPads have always been great quality from the first one and lasted years.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro.
    08-01-14 09:44 AM
    I think that the tablets will replace the computers in the future. In terms of tablets I think Microsoft is going the correct directions of having more functionality in the tablets.

Once the tablets can do all a computer can do it will phase out the computers. Phablets & smartphones will complement tablets in the future.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:51 AM
    I think that the tablets will replace the computers in the future. In terms of tablets I think Microsoft is going the correct directions of having more functionality in the tablets.

Once the tablets can do all a computer can do it will phase out the computers. Phablets & smartphones will complement tablets in the future.

Posted via CB10
    So what about those ultra thin pc? People still love their hard drive space

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 11:35 AM
    So what about those ultra thin pc? People still love their hard drive space

Posted via CB10
    I foresee that tablets will come in 1 TB or 2 TB SSD.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 12:29 PM
156 123 ...