Well, I am on the fence in regards to qwerty or touch. I was leaning towards qwerty for the keyboard and using my pb via bridge for other stuff but when I hooked up bridge via my wife's 9900, I had no aps. Just communication. If bridge gave all that was on my handset on my pb, I would go qwerty but otherwise the screen is too small for apps and browsing and stuff. Am I missing something? Why can't there be a choice as to what you get over bridge?
    The primary function of bridge is to combine the communication aspects of your BlackBerry (minus voice calls) onto the more media-oriented Playbook. It does not share any apps, because it simply can't; the Playbook runs on a completely different operating system than the 9900. I'm not sure how it will be like in the future though, when Playbooks and BB10 phones will eventually share the same OS.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-21-12 03:53 PM
    It also has a lot to do with people buying their first smartphone. The great majority of BB10 purchases for the first few months will, in my opinion, be new smartphone buyers and existing BB users, and not converts. It'll take success to win a lot of converts, and success takes time. Meanwhile, smartphone virgins will be shopping, and BB10 needs to appeal to a good chunk of them.
    Smartphone virgins at this point in time ( in countries that already have high smartphone penetration) are likely older people who have cell phones and of course teens and now pre-teens . The cell phone users think of smartphones as iPhones . They probably want the cheapest phone that is or looks like a iPhone.
    Most teens still think of the iPhone as the real thing. It is only older teens and young adults who think of Android vs iOS.

IMHO - the start screen should have been rows of icons like the iPhone. The iPhone is easily used and understood by newbies in the store. The iPhone is pretty and has a great looking first screen. New users (older folks mainly ) may be drawn to androids based on cost or because the Samsung etc have bigger screens. BB10 doesn't do well in demo's because it is too complex. It is not intuitive. The only reason the new users may be drawn to BB is through advertising. I think that BB10 will attract some converts who want to try something different but unfortunately BB will lose just as many previous BB-7 owners who don't like the new OS or who want to belong to a ecosystem for a change.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-21-13 at 11:44 AM.
    02-21-13 10:48 AM
    Some people like sliders. They think it is the best of both worlds. To the extent that a slider would attract a convert that is a good thing. Otherwise, since the Q10 is the only game in town a slider model would just detract from Q10 sales. The one advantage the slider has is theoretically it might be better for users who use the internet and apps more than they text. Personally I think that the slider makes for awkward typing. I still am of the opinion that the Q10 should have been 70 mm wide to accommodate a 3.5 inch screen.

Who knows, they might come up with a slider that is reliable - perhaps this new design they just got a patent for - the concertina. The Slider needs to have the same screen size as the Z10 otherwise there would be few apps. Probably a slider is in their long range plans.
    02-21-13 11:03 AM
    I agree. I've tried a few "all-Touch" BlackBerrys and the OS just felt improperly tacked onto to an OS meant for menu+click system. It felt harder to get things done on it than my iPhone or my PlayBook. And honestly, it was a step backwards for me from the keyboard BlackBerrys too in terms of getting things done. I liked touch screens where they accented the keyboard, like the 9900 or Torch. Some tasks were easier (ie. zooming, sliding between app screens and launching apps), but I still had access to the other shortcuts I liked.

That said, I still think 3-1 is optimistic for a company known for selling keyboard devices to keyboard loving users. I'm thinking the N Series is going to outsell the L Series for a while a least.

The Bell person I talked to agreed with you. He called the BB the Porsche of keyboards. True ... but if the Q10 sells well that probably means that the Z10 is not selling well because the overall market prefers a touch device with Apps. Also the Z10 doesn't draw in the large screen crowd .

Your comments about the Qwerty vs Touch are likely still true but in reverse. I am not sure that 9900 users will like the new OS on the Q10. Screen is marginally bigger but they lose the track pad. Initially they will lose Apps that they have now. My apology here but I will say it again ... the screen should have been bigger. Qwerty users like simplicity and BB7 is a simple and easy to use so again I don't see that attraction when the device is mainly used for e-mails first and internet second. If the Q10 sells well , it is because it will be the best Qwerty in the world ( but alas ... so was the 9900).
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-21-13 at 12:11 PM.
    02-21-13 11:17 AM
    Judging by the Rogers reservation system I'd say that sounds about right. I preordered a Z10 & Q10 and the line for the Z10 was in the Thousands. The line for the Q10 was in the Hundreds.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 11:40 AM
    Judging by the Rogers reservation system I'd say that sounds about right. I preordered a Z10 & Q10 and the line for the Z10 was in the Thousands. The line for the Q10 was in the Hundreds.

Posted via CB10
    Early adopters are not your typical market...governments and big businesses would not use the same system and anyway qwerty lovers are not early adopters for the most part.
    02-21-13 12:08 PM
    Smartphone virgins at this point in time ( in countries that already have high smartphone penetration) are likely older people who have cell phones and of course teens and now pre-teens . The cell phone users think of smartphones as iPhones . They probably want the cheapest phone that is or looks like a iPhone.
    Most teens still think of the iPhone as the real thing. It is only older teens and young adults who think of Android vs iOS.
    This is all pretty speculative. Teens may be influenced by many things, not least of which are older teens. Older people will tend to trust the advice of someone they trust. That person could be a young adult, a sales rep, a co-worker, or anybody.

A good friend of mine, age 66, recently got his first smartphone. He got an iPhone because that's what his business partner has. He barely knows how to use it and, after owning it for months, has yet to download an app. In fact, he's forgotten his Apple ID password and couldn't use the App Store if he wanted to. He uses it for calls, email, occasional navigation and web browsing, that's it. He apparently has texting blocked on his account, from when he had a feature phone and was getting spam texts, so he doesn't text either. He resisted getting a smartphone for a long time, but now that he has an iPhone and has barely mastered the minimum ways of using it, he'll never use anything else. I'm certain of that.

I don't know how many others are like him, but for most of them it's going to be a matter of who talks to them first. BB is at a real disadvantage here.

I think there's a real potential for college-age young people though, based on my experience with them every day. They are savvy about the technology and interested in things that look new and innovative. They're not smartphone virgins, quite, since they're probably using whatever their parents got for them when sending them off to college. But their next phone will be their decision, and I think BB can tap that market. Some of them are already using OS7 BBs because that's what Dad gave them.
    Enyigma likes this.
    02-21-13 12:30 PM
    well it was bound to happen you released teh Z first and its pretty solid keyboard exp.If they released at teh same time would of been closer.
    02-21-13 03:01 PM
    On the Sliders ... if the Slider was a big seller compared to the classic model we would be getting a S10 in April. To do a slider right requires a lot of hardware engineering work and this launch is all about the touch OS and touch hardware. ... now they did promise six models ... so there is still hope for you slider fans.

BB has the same problem that Buick / Cadillac has. How to please a younger demographic with out turning off their base support.
    02-21-13 04:26 PM
    i might get the q10. why?. because paying 650 bucks for a phone is out of the question. im an android user, and loved blackberry, but once i saw android there was no turning back. my G2X recently died, and got hands on a used curve 9360 that im getting a new housing and battery for. ive tried the Z10 and love the feel and ecosystem. the price tag is way to much (and i don't do contracts anymore). hopefully they either come out with a cheaper touchscreen model, or the price of the q10 is under 400. if that doesn't happen, nexus x here i come...
    02-21-13 04:39 PM
    How accurate is his estimation be so far... If BB only sold 300,000 units of Z10, then there will only 100,000 of Q10s sold given the same timeframe :S
    First, no one knows the sales figures. Everyone is 'guessing', based upon a limited release over 1-3 weeks, in a few markets. Second, things can and do change over time. Who knows how it will play out in the end. 1-3 weeks into a product that could have a 12-18 month life is a bit premature.
    02-21-13 04:43 PM
    i might get the q10. why?. because paying 650 bucks for a phone is out of the question. im an android user, and loved blackberry, but once i saw android there was no turning back. my G2X recently died, and got hands on a used curve 9360 that im getting a new housing and battery for. ive tried the Z10 and love the feel and ecosystem. the price tag is way to much (and i don't do contracts anymore). hopefully they either come out with a cheaper touchscreen model, or the price of the q10 is under 400. if that doesn't happen, nexus x here i come...
    You sound like a man of many conflicts ... i might get the q10 ... but once i saw android there was no turning back ... ive tried the Z10 and love the feel and ecosystem ... if that doesn't happen, nexus x here i come...
    02-21-13 04:45 PM
    It seems like the Z10 and Q10 will be priced similarly
    aww damm. i really dont want to pay 6 bills on a phone :/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    02-22-13 10:14 AM
    I' but I think I see thirty 9900 phones for every one Torch 9850 or Curve touch. In fact, I think I even see the PlayBook in the wild more than a touch only BlackBerry smartphone.
    Well that's cause the Curve Touch and 9850 are just awful phones compared to the 9900. And the overall touch-only experience on BB7 is lacking and subpar compared to both other operating systems as well as keyboard-BB7.

The market for premium keyboard smartphones isn't very big. Not just cause the keyboard usually means big compromises either in terms of weight/thickness or screen size, but also cause once a person tries a good onscreen keyboard, they quickly get used to it, get as effective as on a physical keyboard and rarely go back to a keyboard phone.

Just look at the marketplace:

Apple sells hundreds of millions of phones without keyboards. Heck, last quarter of 2012 Apple took first AND second place of the most sold phones, and you have to go pretty far down that list to find a keyboard handset.

Practically none of the Android manufacturers make a keyboard version of their premium phones. Yeah, they make full keyboard phones, but its always feature-phone like handsets with mediocre internals at low price points.

If there REALLY was a big keyboard phone market, you'd see plenty of HTC and Samsung Galaxy keyboard handsets.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-22-13 11:45 PM
39 12