I've been a loyal iPhone user for several years now (3 & 4 gen). Prior to this, I used my Blackberry Pearl w/ no data plan, for personal & work use. I've been thinking of leaving apple, which I use a ton (email, music, web), & going back to a Blackberry qwerty device.

I would appreciate hearing anyone with similar thoughts, or anyone that could help with the pros & cons of such a change. Thanks.
    02-04-13 02:41 PM
    Pros : BB10 is better than anything Apple can think up.
    Cons: None.
    Nuff said....
    kfh227 and dusdal like this.
    02-04-13 02:46 PM
    Please forget about anything you learned while using a Blackberry Pearl with no data plan. There is no comparison whatsoever to a new Blackberry Q10 when it comes out. You really need to compare it to your iPhone and specifics for your use. As such, only you can be the judge of whether it will work for you. Try out a Z10 (when you can) or read up/watch what you can on the new Z10/Q10. The only way that the Pearl relates to a Q10 is that they both have the same logo.
    dietertong and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-04-13 02:57 PM
    Pros : BB10 is better than anything Apple can think up.
    Cons: None.
    Nuff said....
    Yeah that's not a biased opinion.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    02-04-13 03:25 PM
    I've been a loyal iPhone user for several years now (3 & 4 gen). Prior to this, I used my Blackberry Pearl w/ no data plan, for personal & work use. I've been thinking of leaving apple, which I use a ton (email, music, web), & going back to a Blackberry qwerty device.

I would appreciate hearing anyone with similar thoughts, or anyone that could help with the pros & cons of such a change. Thanks.
    If I were you, I would look around the forums....especially in the BlackBerry 10 category.
    02-04-13 03:29 PM
    One big question: as an iPhone user, which apps do you use the most? If the exact same apps aren't on the Z10, would you accept a substitute that did roughly the same thing?

Second big question: do you have a lot of movies purchased through iTunes? Books through iBooks? Because if you do, you're kinda boned, unfortunately.

If these questions aren't major hurdles, the Z10 is an outstanding phone.
    02-04-13 03:32 PM
    If I went over to iMore and asked if I should either get a i5 or Z10, their answers would be biased.
    If I went to Android Central and asked if I should either get a S3 or Z10, the answers would be biased.
    Why should you expect different from a dedicated BlackBerry fan site?
    02-04-13 03:34 PM
    02-04-13 03:59 PM
    That isn't legal. Can't advise a user to break the law
    alan510 likes this.
    02-04-13 04:47 PM
    Hello AC' and welcome to the forums. I too was a BB user until the iPhone 4s (although I am very much BB at heart!). I left the platform for various reasons but it really boiled down to the EDoF camera on the 9900 (I am in IT...not being able to take photos of serial numbers from relatively close-up or photos in low-light situations was a killer for job use).

Touchscreen typing is a different beast and you do get used to it...it took me a long time to grow comfortable (read: just outside of the frustrating to use territory). --For me, a long time was about 6 months. To this day I occasionally use Siri to alleviate the frustration of typing without that physical feedback. I haven't spent enough time on an android to see if the typing experience is any better. Know this, there isn't a day that goes by that I wish I had that BB keyboard again on this iPhone of mine. I even picked up my 9900 the other day to use it for a while before selling it and boy did the words just fly from my fingertips. --I was at home.

That said, I really want to see what typing on the Z10 is like. I have grown used to the widescreen experience (when rotated) and am somewhat concerned for real estate if I go for the Q10 even though I think it's the best possible compromise. I think we may be in the same boat.

I hope the Q10 is a good fit for you but do not rule out the Z10 as I will be giving it a good hard look.

Sean-Colin
    Made in flanders likes this.
    02-04-13 05:34 PM
    I will post back tomorrow after I pick mine up and let you know if its a no brainer.
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    02-04-13 05:52 PM
    If I went over to iMore and asked if I should either get a i5 or Z10, their answers would be biased.
    If I went to Android Central and asked if I should either get a S3 or Z10, the answers would be biased.
    Or, we could give him/her some helpful information and advice based on our experiences with the OS(s) to help him/her make a well informed decision. Just because a site is dedicated to one OS doesn't me we have to give biased information when someone is seeking advice. It doesn't really help. Honest opinion about pros and cons(which is what the OP asked for) would serve much more useful.
    greenberry666 and Rickroller like this.
    02-04-13 06:20 PM
    actually i've seen a lot of balanced answers over at those sites.
    and i dont agree with the analogy too, two wrongs and all that
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    02-04-13 06:23 PM
    i notice you said qwerty OP
    were you thinking of waiting for the Q10 or going with a 7.1 device?
    02-04-13 06:24 PM
    That doesn't apply to all members here. It doesn't do BlackBerry any good to sell a phone to a user if that phone isn't suitable. All that happens then is that the user gets upset and slags said phone to everyone they know. I'd never recommend a device to somebody if I have a fair sense that the device isn't going to do what the user needs it for.
    02-04-13 06:25 PM
    That doesn't apply to all members here. It doesn't do BlackBerry any good to sell a phone to a user if that phone isn't suitable. All that happens then is that the user gets upset and slags said phone to everyone they know. I'd never recommend a device to somebody if I have a fair sense that the device isn't going to do what the user needs it for.
    exactly.
    anyone who blindly says get a blackberry no matter what, actually does more harm for the company then good.
    02-04-13 06:30 PM
    I would suggest making the switch to a Q10. You mention a preference for QWERTY and that itself pins the choice for you. You don't mention any other features of a smartphone being as important so BlackBerry 10 should fit the bill nicely.
    02-04-13 06:44 PM
    Do not think too much..just comon in..All BB fans arounds the world welcome you. For the phone itself we are talking the next generation platform and mobile computing..phone is just one peace of puzzle..
    02-04-13 06:53 PM
    I'm using a 4s now trying to get my hands on a Verizon 9900 bold. BB is hands down (in my opinion) the best communications device. Being in the Army that is very important. I hardly use apps just things like Facebook and twitter. To stay in touch with family and friends. That keyboard makes me feel at home typing. So I would say if communication is a number one priority then going back to a BB is a great choice. To everyone their own. Some like pointless apps and games. Some people like a few apps with mostly communication. Just make sure you are happy with your choice.
    02-04-13 11:35 PM
    What's wrong with you guys here? Its time some folks went and got their tongue in cheek comment sensor checked. Lighten up folks. Sometimes a little humor is good.
    I just didn't have the stamina to explain why BB10 is a good prospect as there is a lot to explain. Also that is essentially the OP's own decision and there is enough information floating here on crackberry and the internet to get at it. A one liner would have piqued the OP's interest and get him to research on his own. I hope he has done that. Because the level of rhetoric here will rise to an extent where any intelligent assessment from this thread will be impossible to make. The OP will have to decide on his own. Only pointed queries can be answered. A general " which phone is better" will start a thermonuclear war between the fans and trolls here on CB.
    02-05-13 12:25 AM
    Thanks for the help. I use my cell for my primary net access home & away. I'm not married to any specific apps, & would be willing to utilize other apps. I would like the ability to modify my time & expense sheets (excel) on the go. I play some games to kill time. I do listen to quite a bit of music but not movies. I'm really torn over the q & z with regard to the keyboard. Will older devices run the new OS? Thanks for the help.
    02-05-13 10:12 AM
    Thanks for the help. I use my cell for my primary net access home & away. I'm not married to any specific apps, & would be willing to utilize other apps. I would like the ability to modify my time & expense sheets (excel) on the go. I play some games to kill time. I do listen to quite a bit of music but not movies. I'm really torn over the q & z with regard to the keyboard. Will older devices run the new OS? Thanks for the help.
    Older devices (which run BlackBerry OS) will not run the new OS. Only old device technically speaking , is the PlayBook which has been confirmed to be getting the upgrade
    02-05-13 12:36 PM
    Hmmm ...

In terms of email, it will be fine. That's historically been BlackBerry's strength. In terms of music, I know they sell songs now in BlackBerry world, but not sure RIM can rival iTunes if you make a lot of iTunes purchases. Heard mixed things about the web but this device will be probably a bit better than what you have now and many miles ahead of the Pearl.
    02-05-13 12:38 PM
    Bought it...liking immensely...browser smokes the 4s and is a real Web page, not a rendered something or other, set up was easy and after finally figuring out that the email resides in the hub I'm set....LTE is smoking fast....wow.
    02-05-13 12:55 PM
    As far as the keyboard goes, I too am a huge fan of the querty keyboard, but since buying the PB and reading about the very intelligent new Z keyboard I decided to go all in on the Z10 only because it gives me the bigger screen I desire. Maybe go out and play with the new Z10 and see how you feel about it.
    Good Luck in your decision making
    02-05-13 01:34 PM
26 12