Now we've all read the "articles" from all the "news reports" and the (not so) credible blogs sites on how "RIM is dead", "they're going bankrupt" and blah blah blah. Not only do these people not know their facts, but seem to forget history. Well, I don't. What am I talking about?
    August 6th, 1997.
    The day Apple got a "bailout" from Microsoft in the form of an investment of approx $150 million. This is why Apple survives today. Steve Jobs knew Bill Gates still had a soft spot for Apple. It was almost the literal end of line for Apple. Not its shares are over $500 a pop 15 years after it was in debt. This is something a lot of people seem to forget. And something some of us remember and have to remind these "analists" along with another fact:
    RIM is NOT in debt!
    They need no "bailout". It's spelled R-I-M. Not A-I-G. RIM has a surplus. And they are making a pre-emptive strike to make sure that in January, they still owe no debt. Apple, 15 years ago had no plan, no money, owed money, and was all but completely knocked out of the game.
    When I read articles and posts on how RIM is done, I think of Battlestar Galactica:
    "This has all happened before..."
    But this time it's not as bad.
    BB10 is "scheduled" for January. 5 months to come up with a marketing plan, solidify the OS, get carriers fully on board and get more devs on board. Btw, the current lack of Skype and Netflix...is it REALLY that important? Really? More important than a solid OS running on great hardware? The latter should be the priority. Not watching a movie while skyping. BTW, that's my opinion. Don't flame me for that.
    I've been a BB user since 2007 when the Pearl came out. I've used Android and Windows Mobile in between BB phones. There's a reason why so many of us leave and come back. After all the glitter, hype, bells and whistles, we come back to BB cause dispute the hourglass of death, and lack of apps that so many claimed is a must, overall the works! And honestly, there's still a lot of smartphone users who don't know all the features of current BBs. You can have gigs and gigs of music on it. It's called an SD card.
    The overall point is, sure, BB is not perfect. But neither is Android or Apple. And 15 years ago....
    Apple was in a way worse position then RIM is today.
    So the next time you read (and believe) the BS that the media, tech sites and fellow posters like to post on how RIM is done, remember this day back in 1997. The day Bill Gates saved Apple.

"Comment, as you see fit" -Lionel
    08-06-12 05:39 PM
    yes the story of apple and their comeback has been noted in many many other threads. Please just add to those discussions
    08-06-12 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD