Seeing that you are currently selling some q10s I would say just keep the Z10
    07-27-14 05:43 PM
    I can't even begin to start with how wrong that is.

IPhone and android do not have a hub - that is crap.

In blackberry I can check 20 messages all from the the same place without them disappearing after, without opening or closing any apps,with great ease to sort and manage my communications - you cannot so this on ios, and android people will justify some half baked third party app that barely accomplishes this as an excuse.

Saying all phones do the same thing is an over generalization and is misleading.

Android does customization better, blackberry does messaging better. Having to open and close 20 apps for 20 different messaging sources is simply not the same as seeing it all in one place, all the time.

Furthermore blackberry pull down menu is for settings not notifications, and I see very little similarities between how android and blackberry tackle notifications and messaging.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 05:53 PM
    I think the general statement that all do the same things they just accomplish them differently is true though. The hub is nice, no doubt, but it doesn't stop someone on iphone or Android from messaging.

Posted with my Q
    07-27-14 06:00 PM
    I think the general statement that all do the same things they just accomplish them differently is true though. The hub is nice, no doubt, but it doesn't stop someone on iphone or Android from messaging.

Posted with my Q
    Good call.

It all depends. I use my phone A LOT for messaging and having all of the things blackberry has for it mean the world to me lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 06:31 PM
    Good call.

It all depends. I use my phone A LOT for messaging and having all of the things blackberry has for it mean the world to me lol.

Posted via CB10
    I have no doubt! I understand completely. We all have different needs though and it's nice to have variety.

Posted with my Q
    07-27-14 06:33 PM
    I can't even begin to start with how wrong that is.

IPhone and android do not have a hub - that is crap.

In blackberry I can check 20 messages all from the the same place without them disappearing after, without opening or closing any apps,with great ease to sort and manage my communications - you cannot so this on ios, and android people will justify some half baked third party app that barely accomplishes this as an excuse.

Saying all phones do the same thing is an over generalization and is misleading.

Android does customization better, blackberry does messaging better. Having to open and close 20 apps for 20 different messaging sources is simply not the same as seeing it all in one place, all the time.

Furthermore blackberry pull down menu is for settings not notifications, and I see very little similarities between how android and blackberry tackle notifications and messaging.

Posted via CB10

There IS a hub in Android.

The pull down IS for quick settings.

And they DO things differently but they DO the same things.

The comparison in the thread is between Android and BB10 both of which I used. Daily.

Believe what you want but those are FACTS.
    boi2012, shaleem and randall2580 like this.
    07-27-14 06:38 PM
    Ah I forgot there IS a notification centre.
    07-27-14 06:43 PM
    There IS a hub in Android.

The pull down IS for quick settings.

And they DO things differently but they DO the same things.

The comparison in the thread is between Android and BB10 both of which I used. Daily.

Believe what you want but those are FACTS.
    The pull down in android is also your messaging center. Bb10 is not.

Duh every OS can send a text or a tweet but how it is done is what matters.

What hub do you speak of?

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-27-14 06:53 PM
    There's a possible issue that I'm curious to know more about regarding device security.

My roommate just switched from a BlackBerry Z10 to a Samsung S5 last week. Her Z10's screen cracked and eventually deemed the touchscreen digitisers completely unusable. Alas, T-Mobile offered her a deal to switch to the S5 for $350 off the price if she were to trade in her broken Z10, supposedly a "secret deal" that they have going for BlackBerry users.

She has been enjoying downloading frivolous apps (e.g., Kim Kardashian app?) when suddenly, whilst I was at my field site doing my research, her S5 sent me, and apparently ALL of her contacts, spam text messages. I even got a call from my best friend, who lives in out-of-state (I live in LA and she's in TX), telling me about the spam text. Lol

My roommate realised that her S5 had spammed everyone and she group MMS everyone to tell them that it was a mistake and that they should disregard it. I privately replied by SMS that she got a virus but she vehemently denied this, saying that it was her fault.

Keep in mind that out of the 1 year and something months she had the Z10, she had never sent spam texts by accident. Meanwhile, in one week of owing the S5, this incident has already happened.

So my questions are:

? Does the Android platform ask the owner for permission to access their contacts, etc.?
    ? Would this be considered malicious activity on the app's part? As in is it a virus that infiltrated the Android OS Firewall without authorisation?
    ? Was this because the Android ecosystem has way more apps that have not had to face rigorous approval from the Google Play store?
    ? Has your BlackBerry 10 device done something like this? I know when I had OS 6, the "Kik" app had to be expelled from BlackBerry App World for doing something like that.
    ? Are we at risk of issues as such using BlackBerry 10? How about using BB10's Android Runtime?

I seriously don't know about Android's deal and this isn't an attack on the ecosystem, only a vignette leading to a series of security-conscious questions.

I have never owned an Android device, unless you count my old Z10 and my current Q10. I currently also own two different Windows phone devices (6.5 and 8) which I don't use and an iPad. In the past, I've owned a BlackBerry 8700c, 8820, Curve 8300, 8310, 8320, Torch 9800, Bold 9700, and 9900, and I've only had that mass spam issue on my iPad (sent over Facebook) and the Kik app on the Bold 9700.

Thanks!

For the record, if my Q10 wasn't so beautiful and useful, and if I didn't want the Passport, I would totally buy the Moto X.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    07-27-14 06:59 PM
    The pull down in android is also your messaging center. Bb10 is not.

Duh every OS can send a text or a tweet but how it is done is what matters.

What hub do you speak of?

Posted via CB10
    THAT was my point....they DO it differently.

You're so busy claiming something doesn't exist and attempting to deny clear facts that you totally bypass what I said.

There IS a messaging hub. Had I not killed my device on Friday, as I stated, I could have taken a screenshot.

My post clearly stated that they all do things differently. I did not say which was better. That's up to each individual as per each person's taste.

Oh and do try to have a discussion without the use of infantile interjections. I left over using those in middle school.
    07-27-14 07:01 PM
    Multitasking and web browsing on low end and mid range phone is a pain sometimes even with high end android phone.

I now hardly touch my laptop. Z10 can handle anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 07:01 PM
    Yes, if your friend is downloading a bunch of garbage apps it could be what is sending spam. You have to be smart no matter what communication device you use.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-27-14 07:03 PM
    I had a mid-range (Galaxy Blaze 4G) and flagship Android (S4). The experience was mostly good. If I have to go back to Android for whatever reason I won't be broken-hearted. For a unified email inbox, which I prefer, I used AquaMail, and found it better than the stock Gmail and email clients. And it integrates with the notification screen, so no problem there. I didn't mind not having other messages not in the unified inbox.

But I'll tell you what I really missed about bb10, which ever eventually brought me back: the active frames. Yes, I could long press the home button on my S4 to switch tasks, and close them from there, but I really prefer the way bb10 handles this. Somehow I feel like I have more control in bb10. It may be delusional but there it is. I just prefer it.

Android is gradually backing away from SD card support; bb10 isn't.

When any app is using the GPS, bb10 shows me a ghost icon in the status bar. I like this.

It's not true that all the OSes support the same actions. Try attaching something other than a picture to an email in WP. I'm not sure about iOS.

I'm not keen on Google's business model, but then again BlackBerry's business model may be a disaster, so I don't want to put too much weight on that. It's possible to use Android without using Google everything.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    anon5288998 likes this.
    07-27-14 07:04 PM
    I had a mid-range (Galaxy Blaze 4G) and flagship Android (S4). The experience was mostly good. If I have to go back to Android for whatever reason I won't be broken-hearted. For a unified email inbox, which I prefer, I used AquaMail, and found it better than the stock Gmail and email clients. And it integrates with the notification screen, so no problem there. I didn't mind not having other messages not in the unified inbox.

But I'll tell you what I really missed about bb10, which ever eventually brought me back: the active frames. Yes, I could long press the home button on my S4 to switch tasks, and close them from there, but I really prefer the way bb10 handles this. Somehow I feel like I have more control in bb10. It may be delusional but there it is. I just prefer it.

When any app is using the GPS, bb10 shows me a ghost icon in the status bar. I like this.

It's not true that all the OSes support the same actions. Try attaching something other than a picture to an email in WP. I'm not sure about iOS.

I'm not keen on Google's business model, but then again BlackBerry's business model may be a disaster, so I don't want to put too much weight on that. It's possible to use Android without using Google everything.

You can't add an attachment to an email in WP? I've never used one.

07-27-14 07:10 PM

Except that the comparisons in the OP were about Android and BB10. WP and iOS did not play into it. And there wasn't one thing I could do on BB10 that I could not do on Android. Actually I could not use two different apps on the same screen on BB10 and I could on Android. And that comes in quite handy.
    Kurdis Blough likes this.
    07-27-14 07:13 PM
    Yes, if your friend is downloading a bunch of garbage apps it could be what is sending spam. You have to be smart no matter what communication device you use.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. Thanks for replying. But that doesn't answer any of my questions, and your reply feels too neoliberal, placing the responsibility wholly in the hands of the user with zero consideration for the dialectic of structure and agency, etc.

Does Android ask for permissions and can you customise those permissions so as not to allow mass texts being sent, or just accessing your personal information and connectivity other than what's necessary?

Does Google verify applications?

Does BlackBerry 10 carry the same issues either because of the Android Runtime downloading, which as you know requires us to go into the settings and permit installation from sources other than BlackBerry World, or of BlackBerry World not verifying an app submitted extensively?

clickitykeys likes this.
    07-27-14 07:25 PM
    Okay, I see where you're coming from. Thanks for replying. But that doesn't answer any of my questions, and your reply feels too neoliberal, placing the responsibility wholly in the hands of the user with zero consideration for the dialectic of structure and agency, etc.

Does Android ask for permissions and can you customise those permissions so as not to allow mass texts being sent, or just accessing your personal information and connectivity other than what's necessary?

Does BlackBerry 10 carry the same issues either because of the Android Runtime downloading, which as you know requires us to go into the settings and permit installation from sources other than BlackBerry World, or of BlackBerry World not verifying an app submitted extensively?

Yes, Android lists the permissions but you must accept them all or not download the app. It is no different downloading an Android app to BlackBerry.

I still think it is an individual's responsibility. Know what you are downloading. It's the same as getting an email that asks for your bank account number because you have "won money". Would you do it?

07-27-14 07:42 PM
    Yes, Android lists the permissions but you must accept them all or not download the app. It is no different downloading an Android app to BlackBerry.

I still think it is an individual's responsibility. Know what you are downloading. It's the same as getting an email that asks for your bank account number because you have "won money". Would you do it?

Exactly.

And if one really, really wants to control permissions on Android, it's possible.
    07-27-14 08:14 PM
    Something just came up. I have 5 BlackBerry Q10s for sale and one person here wants to use PayPal, not Chase quick Pay or their banks similar service, so being the nice person that I am, I go ahead and download PayPal from Snap to create a new account because I deleted my account years ago but it's not working and read it's because of dumb Google services -_-.

Consumers don't win here. I prefer BlackBerry 10 but no PayPal. Android has PayPal but I don't like it as much as BlackBerry 10 lol.

I was actually thinking of keeping my Z10 because I currently believe in only investing in something if it will produce income, well I am using my phone as a tool to make income but no Paypal -_-.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 09:06 PM
    Something that has been bothering lately is when writing in forums, sometimes it's SLOW. Since we can't PM through the CB app, I use the browser and sometimes it's frustrating!

I got PayPal to work BTW .

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 09:19 PM

You cannot edit the permissions on Android, you must be careful which apps you download, including Apps from Google Play. Google and Android is a very intrusive OS, you maybe inadvertently giving away your privacy and opening up yourself for big problems if you aren't very cautious, BlackBerry says that Android apps are sandboxed thereby mitigating the risks of using Android apps on BlackBerry 10. I personally will never use Android apps on my BlackBerry to avoid any potential issues. Android is a very open OS and plagued with security issues. If you must, or your friend does use it, extreme precaution needs to be taken. The spamming issue means she does indeed have a virus .Google and Android will blame user error, Good Luck.

Posted via CB10
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    07-27-14 09:28 PM
    Something just came up. I have 5 BlackBerry Q10s for sale and one person here wants to use PayPal, not Chase quick Pay or their banks similar service, so being the nice person that I am, I go ahead and download PayPal from Snap to create a new account because I deleted my account years ago but it's not working and read it's because of dumb Google services -_-.

Consumers don't win here. I prefer BlackBerry 10 but no PayPal. Android has PayPal but I don't like it as much as BlackBerry 10 lol.

I was actually thinking of keeping my Z10 because I currently believe in only investing in something if it will produce income, well I am using my phone as a tool to make income but no Paypal -_-.

Posted via CB10
    You can access paypal through your browser if you cannot use the app.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 09:29 PM

So the phisher has no responsibility in that scenario? It's only the phished?
    How about those keeping the servers? How about the government? How about the manufacturers of the signalling and receiving devices?

Also, apps don't just send messages on BB10 until you actually hit send.

On the BlackBerry, you can edit the permissions under settings, Security and Confidentiality, App Permissions. Right now, under ePhone, I can block it from accessing my contacts, email, text messages, PIN messages, files, and my microphone. But that's a BB10 app. You're right about the Android apps. So then, that means the Android ecosystem renders both the BB10 device, only under the Android Runtime, and any Android device, in danger of a malicious app going rogue.

Okay then. We've found a hole leaving the end user vulnerable. It's android. See how easy it is with reasoning rather than bringing in your irrelevant discourse tainted neoliberal bias?

Now, off to finding solutions. BES10 can block Android apps on deployed devices right?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-28-14 12:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    It works perfectly fine for me. I actually accepted funds from a friend who owed me money and sent it from my PayPal account to my bank from the app just last week. Looking at the app on my Q10, I can do other things like request for money, look at merchants closeby and send them a payment. It did pop up with a Google services thing but it keeps going after you click close. Maybe you can remove Google dependencies?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-28-14 12:11 AM
    my BB10 device does a better job at attracts more hateful comments than an android.
    07-28-14 12:11 AM
183 1234 ...