I might sell my beautiful and amazing z10 and get a free 4g android phone from metro for financial reasons. I have thought about it before but the keyboard alone makes me not want to replace BlackBerry. Plus, the hub, peek and many more things. But now I might actually do it.

So, let's get right down to it. As the title says. Please help and try to keep it as unbiased as possible. I really want to know if I'll be okay with android or not.

Please and thank you.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:54 PM
    OP I think you have said it, you need to get the Android for economic reasons, I don't see how a top 10 list will help you make that decision easier. My advice just get what you can afford.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, Rello, ghundiraj and 5 others like this.
    07-26-14 11:03 PM
    But if android would be almost unusable to me then I could hopefully not sell my z10.

Luckily, SwiftKey is on android. Hopefully it's available on those free 4g phones metro has atm and is at least almost as good as BlackBerry 10 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:05 PM
    Thanks for actually caring though lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:06 PM
    There is not that much demand for a used Z10 is it really worth selling. You could sell the free new android device a lot better. From usability it also depends on which android device you are talking about.
    07-26-14 11:14 PM
    Samsung galaxy exhibit. Nokia Lumia 521. ZTE concord 2. And I think the alcatel one touch evolve.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:24 PM
    If you already own the Z10 how is getting a new phone a financial gain?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:27 PM
    Advantages:

Bb10:

- kills messaging and notifications it's not even comparable - in all aspects, email, social apps, quite simply the hub plus peak and flow is unstoppable.
    - smoothest and fastest user interface with 0 lag
    - best virtual keyboard with personalized auto correct and flick typing gestures.
    - great signal and battery life (except z10 for bat)

Android

- great eco system with most integration of Google services and apps
    - king of customization, both from hardware and software.
    - most choice and options for most consumer types - poor, rich, etc.

Disadvantages:

Bb10

- native app experience is lacking in relation to android.
    - using Android apps helps fight this but they still lag considerably and ones that need google services won't work. Additionally paid droid apps don't work either. (I imagine this will improve in the future due the official moves blackberry has made to secure an android app future)
    - some glitches are annoying - double typing for Q users is one, Wifi connectivity, and a few more - as is expected from a one year old OS (many of these are being fixed)
    - customization options are relatively limited, same for features - to be improved upon in 10.3

Android

- fragmented, risky OS where it's hard to know what you user experience you are buying. Even their flagship phones lag hard in some cases (s4). Most OEMs add on ****tty software and useless feature and app spam that makes the user experience garbage imho
    - messaging and notifications are crap compared to bb10
    - phones are not durable (from a software standpoint in general) think of like old bbos phones where after a year or two there was lag, battery issues, etc. Android feels like this to me.
    - poor software support where your phone will quickly be forgotten about and will not receive updates to android.
    - in comparison to bb10 or iOS where you often don't see a need to over customize, in android I felt asthough I was forced to customize my phone so much because the experience out of the box was sincerely lacking.

When you say no bias I don't think that is possible as I clearly favour bb10 but that's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Mayor McCheese; 07-26-14 at 11:51 PM.
    07-26-14 11:35 PM
    Do not forget the endless little tiny steps blackberry has taken to make its OS the one for business and adults. Comparing email clients and abilities shows this.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:37 PM
    OP, can I help by saying you can use your z10 for metro? It's worked for many people, just need to go to the store and have them pop in a sim card

Posted via CB10
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    07-27-14 12:08 AM
    I hate android I couldn't get used to it. So many redundant things terrible os

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 07-27-14 at 12:22 AM.
    lift and vvvhhh8 like this.
    07-27-14 12:11 AM
    I tried to get it on metro and didn't work.

Also, it would be a financial gain because I would sell the z10, which means money in my pocket, get a free phone from metro and pay less monthly for my plan bill for more.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 12:14 AM
    Wow! Amazing job Mayor- to the point, unbiased, non judgmental pro's and con's Now can you do it with Blackberry and Iphone?

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    NightSlayer likes this.
    07-27-14 12:18 AM
    Why not just adjust your plan? How are you going to get a cheaper plan with an Android phone than with a BB10 phone?
    07-27-14 04:15 AM
    You have to do what you must at times. I just loan my Z10 to my son cause my job requires I use an iPhone, that's life but I'm still gonna try to get that passport I'm liking it so far seems like I'm going to have to walk with two phones soon lol.
    07-27-14 11:30 AM
    Samsung galaxy exhibit. Nokia Lumia 521. ZTE concord 2. And I think the alcatel one touch evolve.

Posted via CB10
    Those are all really low level phones, and the experience is low level with it. As long as you realize that you won't get the typical Android experience with them I think you'll be OK. I would try seeking out a Moto G, personally. Or just stick with the Z10.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-27-14 11:40 AM
    You can make any phone work for u. They all basically do the same thing, but in different ways. Since its for financial reasons, I think you'd be able to make a low end android device work regardless of the experience it may provide . I would anyway lol

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    07-27-14 12:10 PM
    I used to go back and forth between a Q10, an iPhone and an Android. I unfortunately dropped the SGIII down a flight of cement stairs at the Metro and the screen shattered. So now I'm down to the iPhone.

Really, there is only a difference of *how* things are done between Android and BB10. They both do the same thing. The difference being that the Android devices allow for seemingly endless customisation. There *is* a hub in Android and there *is* a drop down menu on any screen for quick settings. The notifications screen is stellar and gives you a preview of your messages before even getting into the hub, everything all at a glance. From there you can launch into whatever you want.

The only thing that I would be very careful about Android is the app source. I stay away from names I don't know. I also run AVG antivirus. Since I got my Atrix in 2010 I've had only two phishing incidents way back when I first got the Atrix, and that was from a live wallpaper from a source I didn't know. This is the reason that I am now so very careful about the source for the apps I use and the reason I won't use third party app stores.

By this time, all platforms are effective. They do things in different ways. If you are open to change and if you are open to different ways, then Android won't disappoint. If you don't like change, or if you expect Android to act like BlackBerry, then you will be very unhappy.

I like adventure so I like to try new things. I'm now without an Android device so I will miss it, until the Note 4 comes out. It will feel like a very long time to wait.

Just choose a higher end device rather than an entry level. The experience will be more polished.
    07-27-14 12:31 PM
    The only thing I give for Android over BlackBerry 10 is the ability to customise the UI.

Please join my photography channel
    07-27-14 12:36 PM
    I used to go back and forth between a Q10, an iPhone and an Android. I unfortunately dropped the SGIII down a flight of cement stairs at the Metro and the screen shattered. So now I'm down to the iPhone.

Really, there is only a difference of *how* things are done between Android and BB10. They both do the same thing. The difference being that the Android devices allow for seemingly endless customisation. There *is* a hub in Android and there *is* a drop down menu on any screen for quick settings. The notifications screen is stellar and gives you a preview of your messages before even getting into the hub, everything all at a glance. From there you can launch into whatever you want.

The only thing that I would be very careful about Android is the app source. I stay away from names I don't know. I also run AVG antivirus. Since I got my Atrix in 2010 I've had only two phishing incidents way back when I first got the Atrix, and that was from a live wallpaper from a source I didn't know. This is the reason that I am now so very careful about the source for the apps I use and the reason I won't use third party app stores.

By this time, all platforms are effective. They do things in different ways. If you are open to change and if you are open to different ways, then Android won't disappoint. If you don't like change, or if you expect Android to act like BlackBerry, then you will be very unhappy.

I like adventure so I like to try new things. I'm now without an Android device so I will miss it, until the Note 4 comes out. It will feel like a very long time to wait.

Just choose a higher end device rather than an entry level. The experience will be more polished.
    ^This is an unbiased and truthful post. All of the different platforms basically do the same thing, but differently. And with all the talk about BB10 having better notifications than Android is ironic, because BB10 added notifications to mirror Android notifications and pull down features with the recent BB10 updates. And yes, they all have their own forms of Hubs, where you can get all your notifications, but BB10's version might be better. It's all a matter of taste and opinion. That's why for the average consumer it comes down to apps/ecosystem and the look, brand and style of hardware. Because in reality you are just clicking in and out of apps. It's not that complicated.
    07-27-14 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Will those phones given away by metro totally suck ***?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 02:00 PM

Absolutely and 100% true. I totally agree. It won't set well on here but that doesn't make it false.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-27-14 03:36 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Will those phones given away by metro totally suck ***?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know them. I've had three Android devices and the three I've had were on the high end at the time I bought them. The SGIII performed admirably well until Friday, when it met with its untimely end....end over end down a flight of cement stairs. And I didn't have a case on it, which I always do.
    07-27-14 03:52 PM
    I don't know them. I've had three Android devices and the three I've had were on the high end at the time I bought them. The SGIII performed admirably well until Friday, when it met with its untimely end....end over end down a flight of cement stairs. And I didn't have a case on it, which I always do.
    Well it was just an Android phone. Nothing important.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-27-14 03:57 PM
    I loved that sexy red beast
    07-27-14 05:03 PM
183 123 ...