Yep, listen here sonny boy, back in MY day they used to build the berries rough and tough. hehe (all of 2 years ago)

Last week, I was running around with my 8310 still. I was running to get something from my car quickly before I hopped into my girl's car. I inserted my 8310 into my coat pocket before I ran across the street to my car.

On the way back across the street (I was jog/hopping across the street trying to avoid cars) the phone pops out of my coat, hits the ground, and slides like 7 feet into the side of the curb on the asphalt. (this is the phone I traveled 365 days around the world with, so it's been through a lot of similar situations)

It has no case and no screen protector, no BSE, just it's default casing that I replaced with some parts from cnn.cn about half a year ago. The battery cover had fallen off, so I picked up both the main unit and the battery cover and get into her car. She's looking at me like "OH **** I SAW THAT" but I just put the battery cover back on and off we go. I don't really even notice a new scratch on the phone or anything. I told her it's all good. My phone can handle the little stuff.

I'd be very afraid to make a mistake like that with my 9700 :P I get the feeling it might shatter into 3 pieces. As we're driving, she says, "good thing that isn't your 9700". I smiled and said, "yeah... totally".
    12-16-09 02:51 AM
    If you don't drop your phone you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 04:32 AM
    Sometimes they do. I dropped my Storm 1 onto a concrete surface face down from a height of about 4 feet. Battery cover and battery popped off. I thought 'oh #*!?'. I put the phone back together and voila it all works as normal. There wasn't 1 scratch or dent on the damn thing. No cracked screen either. Awesome.

12-16-09 05:28 AM
    well BBs are generally known for their ruggedness. Thats all i can say.
    12-16-09 05:43 AM
    I did something very similar to my bold, running for a bus. It landed on the bezel so took a smallish chunk out, luckily you don't notice as it's right on the edge.

If it had landed battery door first though I doubt there'd be a mark at all.

12-16-09 09:35 AM
    I want my bberry to look like brand new forever.
    12-16-09 09:40 AM
    The 8300 is nothing compared to the 8700 and 8800 in terms of durability.
    12-16-09 09:48 AM
    ive dropped my storm so many times now, slippery little bugger.

But its never had any physical damage and always keep working apart from a strach on the back.

Best of all touch screen phones are meant to be really easy to break so im lucky there
    12-16-09 09:58 AM
    True - They don't make em like they used too. My friend got a Tour a few weeks ago. The one day he decides to take it off the case he drops it and guess what. The screen cracked.

RIM seems to be following in the foot steps of Apple. They purposely building their new product not to last more than two years. Reason, they want customers to buy the latest device that just came out, which seems to be every other month. I remember reading an article about an Apple insider stating this. Image if their product last forever, who would buy the latest product that keeps coming out. The goal is to sell and make profit.
    12-16-09 10:08 AM
    When in doubt, get a otterbox. Always hate dropping my phones, at least with the otterbox I know it'll be fine when I drop it.
    12-16-09 10:38 AM
    I'm very careful with my phone (8130 Pearl) but I have dropped it a few times...

battery cover didn't even come off.

I'll still be even more careful once I upgrade.
    12-16-09 10:54 AM
    scroll wheel blackberried were tough.
    12-16-09 10:57 AM
    When in doubt, get a otterbox. Always hate dropping my phones, at least with the otterbox I know it'll be fine when I drop it.
    Have you seen the size of a Bold in an otterbox? I must have used mine twice in the time I've had it, it's like carrying a military tank in your pocket.

12-16-09 12:39 PM
    scroll wheel blackberried were tough.
    I miss the good ole scroll wheel. Good times.
    12-16-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD