Why do you keep suggesting Chen is going to eliminate the handset business on every thread and post. You keep on pushing your conspiracy idea in which you have no proof of anything and it's starting to become tedious and annoying. Chen have made it clear many times that the handset business will continue and will be profitable again. Phones are still being release and future phones like the slider have been given a glimpse to the public.

When Chen does announce that he's dropping the handset business because it's not profitable then that's something of the future and we will all learn to accept that. Right now you're being super paranoid and it doesn't help the BlackBerry community because it's putting doubts into peoples mind.

IMO, it's not a matter of if BB is going to exit the handset business, but rather when are they going to exit the handset business. I suspect it will be in 2016, but probably later in the year.
    05-29-15 01:07 PM
    BlackBerry can profit more from a top all touch device than from a mid- low device. The margin is higher. Secondly, why would we presume that Enterprise does not want a top grade all touch phone. I am not buying the Spin that Mr. Chen puts out. He is not interested in hardware but his customers are.
    They can't profit from it if they can't sell it! Geez! The margin will be higher only until the 50 people on Crackberry who buy it get theirs. Then the rest of them will be marked down to $199 and BlackBerry will have another billion dollar write-off.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    05-29-15 01:20 PM
    I just finished reading Losing the Signal and what a ride, RIM was so amazing during the first half of the book, the trainwreck started only in second half.

You should see Chen as spiritual successor of Jim Balsilie, basically a businessman who thinks software is the way to go, not hardware. Thorsten was the hardware guy and the spiritual successor of Mike Lazaridis (although Mike ended up disliking him over keyboard vs touchscreen). No one knows for sure what Chen is thinking, but all signs point to the inevitability of BlackBerry 10 and hardware exit. BlackBerry 10 and handset division died with the ouster of Thorsten.
    05-29-15 02:29 PM
    They can't profit from it if they can't sell it! Geez! The margin will be higher only until the 50 people on Crackberry who buy it get theirs. Then the rest of them will be marked down to $199 and BlackBerry will have another billion dollar write-off.

So you have a Classic with no camera and suggest that a higher end phone has no market ?
    05-29-15 02:36 PM
    Seeking alpha will probably advise you to never buy apple stock. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-29-15 03:17 PM
    My apology! The correct figure is $88 million.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-29-15 04:10 PM
    Blackberry will remain in the handset business only if segment generates positive cash flow. Chen will never say anything other than "we're staying in the handset business" since that's his job to say that. He's concerned with how to get BlackBerry software and/or apps onto IOS, Android or MS devices since 10 or 20 percent marketshare of all devices is better than 100 percent of almost nothing on just BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-29-15 04:33 PM
    Chen is putting forth EXACTLY what he has laid out since he stepped into BlackBerry. - Bartiromo: BlackBerry's Chen on privacy and security
    05-29-15 04:37 PM
    Perhaps I am out of touch with the Enterprise market for handsets but he has not really brought forth strong arguments for his devices. On one hand he says buy my MDM because I can manage your Android's and iOS more securely but if you use a low spec BlackBerry you can be even more secure and productive.

He needs to articulate why Enterprise needs a BlackBerry phone over the alternatives. If he is selling security then perhaps he should be offering a level of enhanced security to consumers too.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 05:35 PM
    So you have a Classic with no camera and suggest that a higher end phone has no market ?
    Yup, my phone has a built-in market with no competition. You better believe if a non-camera iphone 6 existed, BlackBerry wouldn't have even bothered making this phone.

05-29-15 06:47 PM
    Anyone who thinks there is a market for profit for high end devices in enterprise is deluding themselves.
    I think blackberry will exist in hardware but low to mid end. Maybe the occasional high end device produced in low numbers.
    Blackberry is already in the era of flagships getting 2 to 3 Years exposure before being replaced. I can only see that going higher.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    05-29-15 07:04 PM
    Anyone who thinks there is a market for profit for high end devices in enterprise is deluding themselves.
    I can't speak for other countries, but in the US, the typical enterprise-issued device is a flagship iPhone or Galaxy device, and these are being bought by enterprises at many multiples of the number of phones they're buying from BB, so there is definitely demand for and profit from flagship devices in enterprise.

Perhaps a better question is: is there demand and potential profit in a flagship BB device in enterprise? Presumably Chen knows the answer to that question, and it seems to be "no."
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    05-29-15 07:18 PM
    I can't speak for other countries, but in the US, the typical enterprise-issued device is a flagship iPhone or Galaxy device, and these are being bought by enterprises at many multiples of the number of phones they're buying from BB, so there is definitely demand for and profit from flagship devices in enterprise.

Perhaps a better question is: is there demand and potential profit in a flagship BB device in enterprise? Presumably Chen knows the answer to that question, and it seems to be "no."
    Tony, all things being equal, do you not think the BB would make more ( lose less) on a high end device than a Leap ? I think that Chen knows or thinks that BB can not make such a device in market time.
    05-29-15 07:32 PM
    BlackBerry can profit more from a top all touch device than from a mid- low device. The margin is higher. Secondly, why would we presume that Enterprise does not want a top grade all touch phone. I am not buying the Spin that Mr. Chen puts out. He is not interested in hardware but his customers are.
    There has to be sufficient demand in order for BlackBerry to achieve the economy of scale needed to produce and profit from a high end touch device. I want one, you want, and I'm sure a good number of members here on CrackBerry want one too...but that would hardly be enough in the grand scheme of things. Same thing with enterprise. Some of the C-suite and upper management may want and get a high end touch BlackBerry. But one it comes to rank and file employees, they would typically buy loads of mid/low end devices to deploy.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-29-15 07:56 PM
    There has to be sufficient demand in order for BlackBerry to achieve the economy of scale needed to produce and profit from a high end touch device. I want one, you want, and I'm sure a good number of members here on CrackBerry want one too...but that would hardly be enough in the grand scheme of things. Same thing with enterprise. Some of the C-suite and upper management may want and get a high end touch BlackBerry. But one it comes to rank and file employees, they would typically buy loads of mid/low end devices to deploy.
    And let's talk volume discounts and enterprise for a moment. No one has mentioned the possibility that Apple, or Samsung or Microsoft, will sell their devices for less than retail when it comes to large enterprise customers.

I remember the headline with Home Depot switching from BlackBerry to iPhone and thinking that it was a marketing coup for Apple. It was all over the news, and when you think about it, Why? So what if a company switches their mobile lineup, why is that newsworthy?

Before I get accused of tinfoil hat conspiracies, it wasn't a marketing coup of Apple vs BlackBerry. It was more about cementing Apple as the platform of choice for business (vs Android or possibly Windows Phone). Android owns about 80% or so of the consumer market but Apple pretty much rules in enterprise. And all of them want a bigger slice of the enterprise pie.

Of course these kind of deals are wrapped up in confidentiality agreements so it won't make the news. But yeah, I'd bet some serious coin that Samsung, Apple, Microsoft are hitting the phone lines hard to build (or maintain) their presence in enterprise as well.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    05-29-15 08:32 PM
    Not sure how you can explain the Passport then. It is a high end device with a very low demand. Any all touch device with Passport like performance and a high ppi screen would have out sold the Passport by a significant margin. I have not noticed Enterprise skimping on devices except possibly in the UK where the Curve was popular. In its day the 9900 was not cheap.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:40 PM
    Chen deserves every dollar he earns. Years of mismanagement had left BlackBerry in total disarray . Chen if not righted the ship but atleast he has prevented it from further listing. BlackBerry is no longer bleeding and under Chen it has started becoming a attractive acquisition target!!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.680 ]
    His wages is peanuts compared to the loss that company and shareholders would have suffered if vultures and shorts had had their will...

And no, Prem wants more than just his money back.
    He's a value investor, with an eye for growth.... ;-)

Chen is there to get Prem his money back. Nothing more. He isn't their for BlackBerry customers, and could care less about consumers. He is there to complete the sale of BlackBerry at a Profit to Prem, something Thor wasn't able to accomplish.

Posted via Z30

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    05-29-15 09:51 PM
    His wages is peanuts compared to the loss that company and shareholders would have suffered if vultures and shorts had had their will...

And no, Prem wants more than just his money back.
    He's a value investor, with an eye for growth.... ;-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    I fully agree with you Sir.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.680 ]
    05-30-15 04:41 AM
    Why do you keep suggesting Chen is going to eliminate the handset business on every thread and post. You keep on pushing your conspiracy idea in which you have no proof of anything and it's starting to become tedious and annoying. Chen have made it clear many times that the handset business will continue and will be profitable again. Phones are still being release and future phones like the slider have been given a glimpse to the public.

When Chen does announce that he's dropping the handset business because it's not profitable then that's something of the future and we will all learn to accept that. Right now you're being super paranoid and it doesn't help the BlackBerry community because it's putting doubts into peoples mind.
    The new Debbie Downer

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 09:06 AM
    Using Seeking Alpha to evaluate the state of BB as a company is like going to the BGR for BB hardware reviews and news... Both sites are click bait sites meaning the author or site is paid by the number of hits... so the more negative the better... remember the old adage " if it bleeds, it leads"... BB is bleeding right now.... If BB can get increased revenue flows and show an actual profit without relying on accounting... all this will go away....
    05-30-15 09:43 AM
    18 million is a lot considering they continue to lay off employees. Somehow reducing the workforce is considered positive. This still has me confused but for 18 million I guess its worth it. Right?
    There was a time long past when employees were valuable.
    Owners/Bosses carried for their people. Not anymore. Companies expect loyalty out of their workers but treat the worker as a commodity. Sad.. Very very sad. Sick even.

Via my HTC One M9...
    TgeekB and madman0141 like this.
    05-30-15 09:55 AM
    Chen has been worth every penny. Ask the employees that still have jobs if they're happy the company hasn't gone bankrupt. We shareholders are thankful Chen has salvaged our stake as well. He's done exactly what he was hired to do and hopefully will be able to continue to do. As phone enthusiast, I love my BlackBerry, as shareholder, I have totally different expectations about my stock. I'm here to make some money and more importantly, not lose money.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 05-30-15 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Clean up - language
    05-30-15 01:08 PM
    Chen has been worth every penny. Ask the employees that still have jobs if they're happy the company hasn't gone bankrupt. We shareholders are thankful Chen has salvaged our stake as well. He's done exactly what he was hired to do and hopefully will be able to continue to do. As phone enthusiast, I love my BlackBerry, as shareholder, I have totally different expectations about my stock. I'm here to make some money and more importantly, not lose money.

Posted via CB10
    OK, I'll go ask all 10 of them if they're still happy making money for you.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 05-30-15 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Quoted - language
    MikeX74 likes this.
    05-30-15 01:11 PM
    There was a time long past when employees were valuable.
    Owners/Bosses carried for their people. Not anymore. Companies expect loyalty out of their workers but treat the worker as a commodity. Sad.. Very very sad. Sick even.

Via my HTC One M9...
    Very true. Because it's all about money to some people. Funny how businesses used to be able to do both before.
    05-30-15 01:25 PM
    Which is what I was doing in my original post. I wasn't being the funny guy.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 01:26 PM
73 123