04-29-08 09:06 PM
26 12
tools
    I do seem to find that the vast majority of users on here are either going to get a Curve in the very near future or just got it...even over the Pearl. Now mind you I see alot of Pearl users as well, myself included. Now, when I was comparing a couple weeks back and deciding between the Curve and the Pearl the only real difference I can see is the size (obviously) and the qwerty keyboard over the suretype. Other than that, and the internal memory, it's pretty much the same phone. So I guess my question is this. What is the draw to the Curve - the need for the newest/latest tech, the qwerty keyboard and the ease of business typing with it? I am the first to admit that I use the PDA aspect of the phone but rarely use the data/email features due to the pricing of data plans in Canada. For texting and PDA the suretype is awesome, I don't have any issues at all with it.

Is the Pearl geared to the consumer user more than the Curve? Is the Curve a meld of Consumer with Business Enterprise user? Is the Pearl more suited to us females? Just a question, I mean I do love the Curve, I do, but it would take a catastrophe happening to my Pearl to make me switch, it's just too big for me...now the fiance wants a Curve because he thinks the Pearl is too small and girlie. Guess I am just curious about whether it's the need for the latest toy from RIM or if it's performance driven.

Debate away!
    04-28-08 01:28 AM
    Instresting, I'd venture to say that I perfer the curve over the pearl because of the size. The features on mostly all blackberries are the same but with the curve being a bit wider w/ a full keyboard and wider screen were the winning options for me. And also as ir fiance stated I also thought the pearl was to small and girly (no offense to the men that use them).

Just mt 2c....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-08 01:37 AM
    Instresting, I'd venture to say that I perfer the curve over the pearl because of the size. The features on mostly all blackberries are the same but with the curve being a bit wider w/ a full keyboard and wider screen were the winning options for me. And also as ir fiance stated I also thought the pearl was to small and girly (no offense to the men that use them).

Just mt 2c....

Ditto, ditto and ditto. I too also find the Pearl a little too small and girly.
    04-28-08 01:42 AM
    Pretty much find the pearl girly and sure type annoying to learn. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Can't stand sure type. The added bonus is a little bigger screen

04-28-08 01:47 AM
    Yeah for me it's the screen size and that it's landscape. Not as much cropping when it comes to playing back videos.....
    04-28-08 01:51 AM
    I own both a pearl and a curve, I have retired my pearl because of the keyboard alone I find it just a lot faster to type with the curve..

The next biggest kicker for me is I do a lot of ssh and I end up typing into a unix terminal which does not play well with suretype infact its just out right fustrating..

04-28-08 02:12 AM
    I've had my curve for 6 months or so. In the last month 6 of my friends have gone to the curve. 4 of them had the pearl and converted to the curve and they all love it. U tell me

04-28-08 02:53 AM
    Yeah it really comes down to more screen and a full keyboard (no learning curve needed) pun intended. Us guys with big hands are fine with the size also

04-28-08 03:02 AM
    I'm actually the opposite... I like the form factor of the Pearl more than the Curve. Videos and web surfing is definitely much easier on the Curve. I like SureType more than the QWERTY keyboard.

I can actually type a lot faster on the Pearl after inputting all my names and words into the dictionary.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 04-28-08 at 03:13 AM.
    04-28-08 03:11 AM
    For my wife and I, it was all about the keyboard. She hated the suretype on the 7100 (her first BB) and my thumbs just prefer the full qwerty keyboard.

04-28-08 03:13 AM
    Well I'm looking forward to getting my Curve here soon....have 8800 currently.
    04-28-08 04:55 AM
    Its the keyboard for me.

04-28-08 08:58 AM
    I own both a pearl and a curve, and I like them both.

However, I prefer the curve's larger size, bigger screen, bigger memory and qwerty keypad.
    04-28-08 09:16 AM
    Yeah, I agree with most above- I really like the qwerty keyboard much better- just helps me type a lot faster. I also like the screen for reading emails and messages too. I currently have an 8830 but I'm switching to the curve 8330 as soon as verizon releases it!

04-28-08 09:38 AM
    i like the curve!
    but its realy hard to type on.
    the keys are small and compact.
    im sure it takes time to get used too.
    i prefer typing on the pearl cause im used to it.
    04-28-08 09:50 AM
    I'm actually the opposite... I like the form factor of the Pearl more than the Curve. Videos and web surfing is definitely much easier on the Curve. I like SureType more than the QWERTY keyboard.

I can actually type a lot faster on the Pearl after inputting all my names and words into the dictionary.
    im with you on this one!
    04-28-08 09:52 AM
    Huh, so it seems it really comes down to screen size and keyboard. Thank's for playing guys, this was interesting! I could see possibly switching should I start using data services more in the future, but I and typing a good 3 times faster compared to a standard cell on the suretype and the learning curve was only a couple of days with it. This was interesting!
    04-28-08 02:11 PM
    When I was looking to upgrade my phone with AT&T, I looked at both phones. After holding the pearl in my hand and looking at the keyboard, the decision was made. Had to go with the curve for the keyboard and the wider screen.
    04-28-08 04:04 PM
    I also had the pearl for over a year as soon as I knew there was a blackberry with a full keyboard and camera those were couple reasons why I switched to the curve the screen being bigger was also another.feature I loved

PS my wife uses the pearl(white) now which looks good on her.

04-28-08 04:05 PM
    I use to have a sidekick 3 and I got way to use to having a full keyboard. I think once you go full keyboard you can't go back. I'm awfull at suretype.

04-28-08 04:19 PM
    i can actually type without looking on my pearl but im getting an 8800 because of sms and battery issues with my last two replacment pearls, i actually dont like the keyboard on the curve, its too small and clacky i always **** up when typing on one

and i too used to think that the camera was everything, but now not so much, they arent very good quality and the pictures suck when blown up
    04-28-08 04:30 PM
    The pearl has some bells and whistles to it but for me it doesn't possess the qualities of a true BB. These qualities are what brought me to a BB. The large screen, the nice keyboard, and also the recognition...when people see the brick in your hand, they know what you're using. A Pearl could easily be mistaken for an ordinary cell but not the curve.

04-28-08 11:08 PM
    Yeah, I agree with most above- I really like the qwerty keyboard much better- just helps me type a lot faster. I also like the screen for reading emails and messages too. I currently have an 8830 but I'm switching to the curve 8330 as soon as verizon releases it!

Having using a Treo 700, there was no way that I could feel comfortable with anything less than a qwerty key board, not to mention the screen size.
    04-28-08 11:53 PM
    I think most BB nuts want to get the next best blackberry. I like my 8830 with the qwerty keyboard but I am also considering the Cruve when verizon comes out with it in the month or so. What to do when the 9000 comes out....
    04-29-08 08:21 PM
    I'm with everyone who said the pearl is small and girly. I'm a girl, and I traded in my curve to get the pearl b/c of it's size. It fits in my pocket, takes up less space in my bag and feels good in my hand.

I came from a long line of full keyboard devices and don't have any issues with suretype. It's not true the "no one who's had a full keyboard go back to another device". People in the forums keep saying that the curve is better and I disagree. I find both devices equally good and it's up to the user to decide what's right for him/her.
    04-29-08 08:45 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";