Looking around the forum it seems like there has been a confusion regarding native applications for the blackberry platform. Taking a quick look at the blackberry developer website there is a list of platform choices when it comes to BB10 and Playbook.

C/C++ NATIVE
    HTML5 Webworks
    Adobe Air
    Android Runtime

I keep hearing things along the lines of "not native, not for me" referring to ported android apps. When in reality, the amount of actual native apps could be smaller than you think, just because an app doesn't open in the android player does not mean it is NATIVE.
    And regarding ports, Im sure that if a developer ports the app properly it will run as it would on the android platform. A buggy ported app on BB10 could indicate sloppy android development to begin with, and if so the app would be just as buggy running on android.
    I dont see the big issue with an app like instagram or skype being ported from the android version, do you really think that instagram is just going to convert it's apk to bar and off we go? No, they will work on hub integration, etc. making it function like a native app. It just makes logical sense at this point, why write entirely new code when you have the resources available to use existing code? It costs MONEY to develop for a new platform, Blackberry just made it more cost effective for developers to get their app up and running for BB10.
    03-06-13 12:04 AM
    Still, full virtualization puts a greater toll and is more prone to instability than localized applications. If anything, HTML5 or air would probably perform better in above average cpu requirements, or probably anything.

It running sloppy virtualized on a different platform doesnt mean its poorly written. Developers would have to adhere to what the playbook app player is capable of doing rather than what the android operating system as a whole can do. I wonder how many mac OS or linux users in this forum have always had a joyful experience trying to run windows applications in a virtual machine. Apps like instagram probably have little problem due to their nature, but as you start to dwell into more complex or more hardware intensive things, you will run into trouble. Hence the stigma, i remember using the dolphin browser port available in app world, it sucked and still does in so many levels that you cant imagine, hangs, crashes, low fps, however, dolphin browser in an android device is just golden and nearly perfect.
    bekkay likes this.
    03-06-13 12:51 AM
    Still, full virtualization puts a greater toll and is more prone to instability than localized applications. If anything, HTML5 or air would probably perform better in above average cpu requirements, or probably anything.

It running sloppy virtualized on a different platform doesnt mean its poorly written. Developers would have to adhere to what the playbook app player is capable of doing rather than what the android operating system as a whole can do. I wonder how many mac OS or linux users in this forum have always had a joyful experience trying to run windows applications in a virtual machine. Apps like instagram probably have little problem due to their nature, but as you start to dwell into more complex or more hardware intensive things, you will run into trouble. Hence the stigma, i remember using the dolphin browser port available in app world, it sucked and still does in so many levels that you cant imagine, hangs, crashes, low fps, however, dolphin browser in an android device is just golden and nearly perfect.
    I understand your point and do agree that as you get into more CPU/GPU intensive apps that the virtualization process will not be suitable. But for apps along the lines of instagram, a port will do just fine. In regards to dolphin, I have it on my playbook, never use it though because the stock works faster. But could it have something to do with the blackberry version being 7.20 while android is at 9.31? That's quite a bit of revision between versions, I'm unable to compare 7.20 on playbook to 7.20 on android.
    03-06-13 08:42 AM