My phone, a Sprint model Tour 9630 will, at random times just blurt out in the loudest possible volume: "There is no cell coverage in this area." Then it will tell me that cell coverage has been restored or something like that. The thing is... it does it regardless of the what ringer profile I am in. When I sleep, I put my phone into silent and not bedside (because I still like to know when a message event happened, and not just that it happened). But this morning, at 7 am, it loudly stated that I had no cell coverage.

The thing is... it is WRONG! I immediately grabbed my phone and dialed speed dial one, and was immediately connected to my voicemail. So WTF? Please someone help me get this off my phone.

It started on 12-31-2009 and continues still.... I have no idea how to get rid of it.
    01-02-10 08:45 AM
    Update: I have contacted Sprint and they have no idea where this message comes from. They are performing research and state that they will get back to me. I also did a querry on blackberry.com and received no hits that match this problem.

I am for sure stumped.
    01-02-10 09:12 AM
    I have to say that I was completely stunned that nobody answered this post. Well I have now found the answer (a week later) and figured that I would give it to someone else who may run across it in the future. The prompt that I was hearing was Sprint's rebranded GPS service TeleNav.

It appears that I exited out of the program without closing it and it was running in the background. For some reason, TeleNav sees fit to alert me when I have no cell coverage, and then alert me again when it returns (even though it is very wrong most of the time).

So, for those of you who may hear the prompt

"There is no cell coverage in this area" regardless of if you have set your phone to vibrate or silent... TeleNav is the culprit. Simply go back into the program, and ensure that you are not actively navigating to anything.

Hope this helps someone in the future. It sure stumped the heck out of me for a few days.
    01-11-10 07:35 PM
    I did that years ago when I started to use a Blackberry, and first started using TeleNav. I use AT&T Navigator (AT&T's rebranding of TeleNav) all the time, and it's wonderful, but if you leave it navigating (that pesky "end call" button only "minimizes" other programs) it can get annoying.

I'm glad you figured out what the problem was. It's ashame I didn't see this when you initially posted it.
    01-11-10 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD