How do I know? Because I'm at Starbucks in Botanic Avenue, Belfast and for the past 10 minutes two girls sitting at the table next to me are talking about their Blackberrys and how much they hate touch screens (complete with gesturing using a touch screen lol) they talk about how glad they are they got theirs, how much they like the keyboard and the led light lol

No, I didn't join in the conversation lol, but this tells me there will always be a hard core keyboard lovers, like me

RIM can downsize if they have to, but we'll always need that qwerty
    07-02-12 10:57 AM
    Which is why they are launching the first BB10 device without a qwerty. Sigh.
    sevoman likes this.
    07-02-12 11:04 AM
    Agreed. Just a month or two ago I switched to an iPhone as a break since I wasn't travelling but now I am again definitely the BlackBerry. I will get another when my contract is up for renewal. I know at least 100+ people with them and have 50 or so on BBM. In the U.K BlackBerry are going strong.
    07-02-12 11:06 AM
    The Media can say what they want about RIM, but RIM makes great devices (may not be up with the others on specs) but it is the greatest communication tool. Even if BB10 is delayed, I am still using my 9810 (sometime I swap out for the 9900) and I am very happy with it. I will be staying with the BBies until theres no more...
    go1ndr likes this.
    07-02-12 11:15 AM
    Which is why they are launching the first BB10 device without a qwerty. Sigh.
    Does it matter? What's a couple of months.
    07-02-12 11:15 AM
    Blackberry is strong in the business community, which is the bread and butter of the company. IMO.
    07-02-12 11:17 AM
    Yeah, and I heard two old people in Best Buy talking about how much they loath DVDs and want VHS to come back. So that's probably going to happen any day now.
    07-02-12 11:23 AM
    Except businesses are letting employees bring in their own phones now (BYOD) and they are NOT bringing in BlackBerrys.

And how many companies are going to bring up Mobile Fusion in addition to their current MDM solution?
    07-02-12 11:23 AM
    Except businesses are letting employees bring in their own phones now (BYOD) and they are NOT bringing in BlackBerrys.

And how many companies are going to bring up Mobile Fusion in addition to their current MDM solution?
    Business doesn't mean big business, maybe in US there's only big corporations but here there's lots and lots of small businesses, sole traders(like me), or self employed people. These people will have a hosted email but they will not pay for exchange(relatively expensive) and without exchange only a BB has push email.
    07-02-12 11:40 AM
    At this point? An eternity.
    07-02-12 11:46 AM
    You mean what's a year from now. Or basically whats almost 2 years after the 9900 release.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    07-02-12 11:47 AM
    Business doesn't mean big business, maybe in US there's only big corporations but here there's lots and lots of small businesses, sole traders(like me), or self employed people. These people will have a hosted email but they will not pay for exchange(relatively expensive) and without exchange only a BB has push email.
    Given how much market share RIM is losing - and revenues down 42%, maybe it isn't as important as you may think. It is a sinking ship. And I don't WANT them to fail.
    07-02-12 11:50 AM
    No, i'm glad you shared this story, albeit Starbucks (forgive my general prejudice), but that's encouraging isn't it? Every great once in a while when I see someone sporting a Berry or wearing a BB holster it's a small but pleasant sign that we ourselves aren't the only people who so happen to see the value in BlackBerry. It might not have hurt to um, say something to them though, eh?

Written with BitPusher's *BlackBerry 9650* using Tapatalk
    07-02-12 11:52 AM
    You mean what's a year from now. Or basically whats almost 2 years after the 9900 release.

My 9930 has tape sealing the top and my screen has dead pixels...

Seriously awaiting the L-Series...
    07-02-12 11:52 AM
    Thorsten said that he doesn't want to release BB10 until they get it right. I'm hoping that 'getting it right' means being able to deliver the functionality that we all say time and time again is what we like about using a BB.

Unlike anytime before, RIM is integrating solutions instead of developing their own from scratch. I hope that when this Franken-software is finally pieced together, it provides what we've all come to know and love bundled in a nice clean BB10 package.

If so, then there is hope for RIM. If they miss any one of the major functional pieces, then it might be a different story.

In the earnings call, one of the things I kept hearing Thorsten say was that RIM considers BB10 devices as high end (I believe 'aspirational' is the adjective he keeps using). He also spoke of limiting the number of devices as a cost-savings move. I hope that RIM is not thinking about a strategy that would have BBs all be very expensive Porsche Design products targeted only to corporate top-level execs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-12 12:09 PM

Yeah, how about you try reading next time, we were talking about the 2 months between L and N models. The two models might even come out at the same time now.

For your info, Q3 is still early for anybody that got an OS7 BB with most people on 2 years contracts. My contract ends November 2013.
    07-02-12 12:16 PM
    Sounds like people in Belfast are behind the times. Don't worry they will eventually catch up. Many countries are insisting on the latest and best technology and Belfast will get there soon.
    07-02-12 12:22 PM
    Sounds like people in Belfast are behind the times. Don't worry they will eventually catch up. Many countries are insisting on the latest and best technology and Belfast will get there soon.
    These two girls (students) were actually ridiculing people using big touch screen phones, fashion is a strange thing, touch screen could well go out of fashion. Just the way I was ridiculed for my Nokia E61 phone some years ago, people called it a "calculator" lol

Point is there will always be a certain amount of people needing qwerty, or wanting qwerty. Rim can always count on them if they ever have to downsize the business.
    go1ndr likes this.
    07-02-12 12:27 PM
    No need to be a d!ck. If you don't agree with OP's premise (I don't), no need to generalize about Belfast.

Btw, Belfast is not a country.
    Last edited by raino; 07-02-12 at 12:36 PM.
    07-02-12 12:29 PM
    I live in a college town with about 45,000-50,000 students (about 2/3 of the population). Blackberries were everywhere a few years ago. Literally everywhere. Almost every student had one.

Well, I haven't seen a single Blackberry in the last two years or so.
    bhavi_jp and kevinnugent like this.
    07-02-12 12:36 PM
    For real? Two girls, in a Starbucks, in Belfast (no offense to Belfast) is your
    reason for continuing to believe that RIMM has hope? I don't even know
    what to do with this
    timberdc, brucep1, avt123 and 4 others like this.
    07-02-12 12:59 PM
    For real? Two girls, in a Starbucks, in Belfast (no offense to Belfast) is your
    reason for continuing to believe that RIMM has hope? I don't even know
    what to do with this
    I was just thinking the same thing. Who knew it would be so easy!
    07-02-12 01:02 PM
    Way to ruin a cool little story, maybe there's hope for RIM but I'm not so sure about Crackberry. No chance of ever keeping a thread positive.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-02-12 03:37 PM
    Way to ruin a cool little story, maybe there's hope for RIM but I'm not so sure about Crackberry. No chance of ever keeping a thread positive.
    Knowing that, why do you even bother posting something positive? You know the "regulars" would jump on any story. Reason why I stopped replying altogether. Time for the BB lovers to hunker down and keep their own counsel. BB10 launch is successful, the "regulars" would quite down and we will have the last laugh. If RIM tanks before that, all our positives wouldn't be worth anything.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    07-02-12 03:48 PM
    Gmail has push email and you can use your own domain, you can even set it up as an exchange account. As for exchange being expensive, it is �2.60 a month and that would be an deduction anyway on any tax return - it's peanuts.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Last edited by cgk; 07-02-12 at 03:54 PM.
    07-02-12 03:50 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD