Hi there,

I have a Bold 9000 on the Rogers network. I've not changed the theme from the preloaded Precision (Zen) theme before, but I recently came across a theme from the anime Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei, which I would really like to install. The original topic where this theme was posted is here:

*forums.crackberry.com/f130/sayonara-zetsubou-sensei-anime-theme-102262/*

Please excuse the astericks and add the http if necessary. Apparently I have not posted enough to have links. >.>

The attached .zip file yields two .cod files and an mp3 file of about 4 seconds. My phone is always silent, so I don't care for the mp3 file, I just want to get the visual portion of the theme working. So I started researching, and the following are my results:

1st attempt: "install using Blackberry Desktop software" -- .cod files aren't recognized by Blackberry Desktop, and won't install like other applications and themes. Themes that are installed this way generally have a .ali or .alx file; this theme does not. Renaming the file ending to either doesn't work, either.

2nd attempt: "put the files on your device memory or media card and install off that" -- regardless of which of these I put the files on, upon browsing to them, I can't open them. I just get a text window saying "this file cannot be displayed." None of the download options work either. The usual OTA download window does not appear.

3rd attempt: "try downloading from the handheld, and hope an OTA download kicks in" -- no; because it's a zip file, it just asks me to download it. Extracting fom there just brings me back to the 2nd attempt problems. I even downloaded/extracted on a computer, then hosted the extracted .cod files in a directory on my own online server, then accessed that server from my blackberry. Whether I try to open the directory, or the individual files, I am told that I cannot display the file, and asked to download it, which is again attempt 2.

After all that, I am out of ideas. I imagine I am missing something simple, and will feel like a dork when the solution is revealed, because the replies on the original topic seem to indicate that nobody else had any trouble getting the theme. It is, of course, actually a theme for the Bold 9000 and not another model, as confirmed on the original topic. I realize it would not work otherwise.

So, I need to get those .cod files to be a theme on my blackberry. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Much thanks in advance--this has been eating up hours in troubleshooting time.

PS-- hard resetting doesn't help the files work, either.
    07-20-09 10:23 PM
    You need to create an .alx file and place it in the same folder as the .cod files. The alx file is was the desktop manager uses to find the files. Google "creating alx files".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD