Today was the last straw with RIM. Several of our corporate BB Devices suddenly stopped working properly after synching with Desktop Manager.

These devices were working fine last week, RIM must have pushed out another one of its buggy updates to the devices or Desktop Manager, either way we now have the "Address Book Not Installed" error on several Desktop Managers, the BB devices do not operate properly now and of course RIM's knowledge base and support resources are woefully inadequate.

This is just the lastest in a long line of issues with RIM's devices and software. In the last five years, RIM's quality has deteriorated to the point where the cost / benefit trade off is a losing proposition for RIM corporate customers like us, so we have made the decision to do a rip out of all RIM software and devices.

We cannot justify the man hours and productivity lost to the trial and error process of working around RIM's incompentent software engineers.

RIM who invented the corporate spec'd PDA, of which we were one of the first users, is now the company that can't shoot straight.

Ok, so I need suggestions on which non-Blackberry devices work best in a corporate Exchange enviroment to replace all of our BB devices. We currently use BB devices, Exchange and BES. Our criteria are: Keyboard, durability and worldwide roaming compatibility.
    03-26-11 03:11 PM
    You'll have to get Dutch to help you out of that mess. Good luck!
    03-26-11 04:00 PM
    1.) The Desktop Manager does not automatically update OS, one has to select "yes" or "no" to proceed.

2.) Your IT guy should have created a backup file either automatically or manually, so that if something like this should happen, it can be reverted to its previous state.

3.) You have great tech support, it's called the Crackberry Forums. Why don't you type in "Address Book Error" and find a fix?

4.) What are you synching the phones to? Outlook? Maybe it's the computer software that is the problem, not the phone.

This sounds like human error to me, not RIM error.
    03-26-11 04:26 PM

Today was the last straw with RIM. Several of our corporate BB Devices suddenly stopped working properly after synching with Desktop Manager.

These devices were working fine last week, RIM must have pushed out another one of its buggy updates to the devices or Desktop Manager, either way we now have the "Address Book Not Installed" error on several Desktop Managers, the BB devices do not operate properly now and of course RIM's knowledge base and support resources are woefully inadequate.

This is just the lastest in a long line of issues with RIM's devices and software. In the last five years, RIM's quality has deteriorated to the point where the cost / benefit trade off is a losing proposition for RIM corporate customers like us, so we have made the decision to do a rip out of all RIM software and devices.

We cannot justify the man hours and productivity lost to the trial and error process of working around RIM's incompentent software engineers.

RIM who invented the corporate spec'd PDA, of which we were one of the first users, is now the company that can't shoot straight.

Ok, so I need suggestions on which non-Blackberry devices work best in a corporate Exchange enviroment to replace all of our BB devices. We currently use BB devices, Exchange and BES. Our criteria are: Keyboard, durability and worldwide roaming compatibility.
    It's going to depend on what carrier your company uses. There are options with Motorola, HTC, and even Nokia.
    03-26-11 05:14 PM

Surprises me that you can't justify learning how to do something right. DM does nothing to your device that you haven't told it to. Matter of fact your going to have to select to have the addressbook removed from the blackberry. DM isnt responsible to delete it from the server. That's up to the admin of the server. All DM will to is sync the addressbooks. Its so common to blame others for our mistakes. Like what's already been stated DM doesn't auto update. I'm not sure if it'll even auto look for updates. However even if it does it'll tell you what the updates are and if you want to install.

I'm not buying into the suggestion that it would be cheaper to scrap the devices yall already have and the servers and repkace everything than to pay somebody that half knows something about blackberrys to straighten that knot out. Why would you come ask blackberry junkies what would be a better repkacement device for you? I mean seriously? Take your question and sad story to the android and apple sections and lay it on them. I have the other 2 pkatforms in my house hold and at work and I'm telling you by what you say you need they are not better. Not by a long shot. The company I work for has 162 blackberrys 21 htcs and 8 iphones. The htcs and iphones causes the most trouble. No my blackberrys aren't on the system. I'm a grunt I don't rate a company phone but I keep tabs on the itt department.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 05:22 PM

It would be a cost savings if you fired your IT staff and replaced them with people who know what they are doing. On a BES server only the admin can change the stuff you're talking about. Either that you are full of BS.
    03-26-11 06:43 PM
    If you are in a BES environment, why/what are you syncing to DM? You should be syncing wirelessly to the BES. That's most likely what caused the Address Book issue.
    03-26-11 06:57 PM
    We have perhaps 5500 BB users - We BES servers to manage the devices - Not DM.
    Most problems we have with BES are of our own making and nothing to do with RIM. If we do our jobs and engineer our infrastructure correctly we are better off than relying on user controlled ActiveSync devices no matter how sexy they may seem.
    Why use DM to sync anything? - You should take it away from your users so they can�t break stuff.
    JJK
    03-26-11 08:23 PM
    1.) The Desktop Manager does not automatically update OS, one has to select "yes" or "no" to proceed.

2.) Your IT guy should have created a backup file either automatically or manually, so that if something like this should happen, it can be reverted to its previous state.

3.) You have great tech support, it's called the Crackberry Forums. Why don't you type in "Address Book Error" and find a fix?

4.) What are you synching the phones to? Outlook? Maybe it's the computer software that is the problem, not the phone.

This sounds like human error to me, not RIM error.

This.

Hire a new staff that knows what its doing. Your boys obviously dont
    03-26-11 08:42 PM
    You are just another of the many companies switching AWAY from Blackberry. We made the transition and we mainly support only Android and Apple devices, with a few exceptions.

This.

Hire a new staff that knows what its doing. Your boys obviously dont
    Blackberry has been on the decline for quite some time, any company who isn't switching is going be severely disappointed in a few years.
    03-26-11 09:50 PM
    Blackberry has been on the decline for quite some time, any company who isn't switching is going be severely disappointed in a few years.
    Disappointed how? You don't know what your talking about. Do you think in the next couple of years bb will not beable to do the things they have always done? Is bb losing slowly its ability to send/ receive emails and other commucations? NO. There's is no disappointment on a busness minded blackberry. The complaints are the people who want flash apps and things like that. Gamers. Noone can agrue that a bb is one top notice office device.

03-26-11 10:05 PM
    Notice how he hasn't responded

03-27-11 02:23 AM

Actually I have. Lmao

03-27-11 04:21 AM
    The complaints are the people who want flash apps and things like that... Noone can agrue that a bb is one top notice office device.
    couldn't agree more. Additionally, its organizational capabilities are par to none. Where's the task pad on iPhone? LOL I switched back to BB after 3 months because it couldn't support my scheduling/organizational needs.
    03-27-11 05:17 AM
    Human error, so blame it on the device and off with their BB heads!

Imagine that!

And BB's are the best work communication device around...I don't care what you tell me. That and one of the more secure devices around.

Go ahead, spend pointless amounts of money to get new Androids or iPhones in your department and enjoy that. Your quota's and what not shall go right down the toilet! Lol!

Some people may get that....and to note, a bird just dive-bombed my window.....random I know. I think he is dead...

03-27-11 06:57 AM
    We have perhaps 5500 BB users - We BES servers to manage the devices - Not DM.
    Most problems we have with BES are of our own making and nothing to do with RIM. If we do our jobs and engineer our infrastructure correctly we are better off than relying on user controlled ActiveSync devices no matter how sexy they may seem.
    Why use DM to sync anything? - You should take it away from your users so they can�t break stuff.
    JJK
    ActiveSync uses Policies just like BES. There are just less of them.

ActiveSync has policies to disallow a computer to sync via WMDC/ActiveSync Software and WMC for example, so it can be totally managed by the Admin, and the phone can be locked down (Disallow App Installation, Disable Camera/SD Card, Disable OTA updates, etc.) via ActiveSync.

More businesses are realizing this, that's why some are starting to move off of BES/Blackberries to ActiveSync devices (as the ActiveSync support improves).

Here, look at this: Comparison of Exchange ActiveSync Clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-27-11 09:45 AM
    More businesses are realizing this, that's why some are starting to move off of BES/Blackberries to ActiveSync devices (as the ActiveSync support improves).

Here, look at this: Comparison of Exchange ActiveSync Clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As the support improves is the keywords here. The main 2 platforms praised around here has huge chucks in the red boxes. You did notice that those huge red spaces ment was not supported. A lot of those things in the red is what I call important. Now that's just me. What's bandwith to a company that has money to burn?

03-27-11 12:39 PM
    I'm not going to bother reading any posts in here except the OP's, and to him I say, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    03-27-11 01:16 PM

Reminds me of a current TV commercial that's running:
    Q: "You're leaving?"
    A: "Was I ever really here?"

So, he laid down the criteria that will meet his needs - how come nobody wants this guy's business? I thought the trolls would be ALL OVER this thread offering a plethora of alternatives. Actually, I'm interested to hear which alternative will address ALL of his needs as well as ALL of his individual complaints.
    03-27-11 01:46 PM
    I wasn't going to click on this because I thought it was going to be more of the same idiocy, but this was one of the most entertainig works of fictional trash outside of the National Inquirer I've read in a while.
    Made the cool down after my run a lot more enjoyable.

03-27-11 02:04 PM
    We are a long-time BB shop, since the first BB "black brick" was released in the 1990(s), so it is with great reluctance that we feel we are being forced to another platform due to RIM's deteriorating hardware and software offerings, as evidenced by numerous loyal BB users experiences over the past few years as RIM as made one dispappointing and / or buggy release after another. Our most recent incident is simply the straw that broke the camel's back. Ours and other's issues with RIM are well documented here in the Crackberry forums.. Version 6.0, Storm 1, and on and on. Somewhere along the line the engineers and management at RIM took their eye off the ball, which is a real shame given that RIM owned the corporate PDA market and should still if they had executed with even some level of market awareness.

To our use of DM, we have certain users that for security reasons are required to keep certain contacts and calendars off of the Exchange servers and thus must use DM to locally sync those PST folders.

We realize the newer Android platform has severe limitations and there may not be a workable transistion immedately, but we feel compelled to seek alternatives to RIM at this point.

There is nothing we would like better than for RIM to release hardware and software that works reliably from update to update and remove limitations such as the inability to support multiple Exchange 2010 accounts on a single BB device.
    03-27-11 05:16 PM
    ^ I don't know if you follow RIM news, but recent articles have basically outlined that RIM acknowledges its errors/moves, and have been working hard to release new everything (ie: the Bold with touchscreen, new intuitive devices, and OS 6.1 which in their words, will be "an entire overhaul")

Since you cannot find a viable alternative at this point, I would suggest that you wait until Q3/Q4 this year to see if their new offerings hold up to your previous standards of quality.

In no way am I saying that Blackberry is the best phone for everyone in the universe; maybe you'll move over to something else and be thrilled... I just don't see Androids and Iphones being "business" phones...especially those with touch screens, both in terms of usability as well as corporate image; it's hard to take a corporate user seriously when he's showing me an iPhone app whose only purpose is to mimic an open flame...I meet with a colleague sporting a BlackBerry, I feel confident that they are organized and professional, and we're going to get right down to business....unless, of course, their ringtone is "Baby Got Back" ;-)
    03-27-11 06:52 PM
    As the old saying goes. A bad workman blames his tools.

No, seriously though, as many others have said, BB isn't perfec, and i have no doubt that other options are available for corporate users. In all honesty though, do you really see a viable alternative that will meet your needs? I'm on BIS so i must admit i don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to the needs of corporates, but from what i gather Android, iOS and even WinMo are aiming to please consumers first and corporate second. There's no point in having a phone with a mega-processor, an 8MP camera and access to 5 billion apps if all of those features are going to be shut off for security reasons (just my opinion). When you get down to the basic communications abilities that corporates allow and need (such as e-mail, sms, calling) as well as battery life, a BB at the moment is still the best isn't it?

Side note, one thing i wish i was able to do is sync all of my e-mail folders and the contents thereof with my BB which i currently am unable to do, but my mum's iPhone is capable of doing...
    03-28-11 01:51 AM
    I am with bbstoof. I would wait until the new products come out this q2 or q3. I am waiting also to go back to BB after getting rid og my Bold 9000 for a 3gs iPhone
    03-28-11 01:57 AM
    Suggest you employ someone who actually knows what they are doing
    03-28-11 06:56 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD