Without going into a lot of detail, I decided a few months ago that buying some RIM shares would either fund a new phone including a plan or that would be the end of my RIMaffair. Thanks to a few good reviews and a lot of hype, that investment worked out better than I dreamed and yesterday I sold enough shares to get 4 phones and at least a 1 year plan for each. 2 of those phones are for my kids who have iPhones and I told them today the deal was they either turn off the Iphone or no BB10. One immediately said yes and the other was on the fence because of her plan but wavering so I told her I would also pay her early termination fee and she too said yes. Best part is I still have a few shares left so obviously I'm hoping BB10 kicks azz. Doncha love capitalism?
    01-22-13 02:30 PM
    Haha, nice thread. I was stupid and cashed out this morning, so hopefully we see a little downside before launch so I can get back in. I was under the impression you could write off the difference if you repurchase the same stock at a higher level within a month but I believe that's subject to how long you held it. Probably not the correct place to ask this, but does anyone have any insight on that?
    01-22-13 02:48 PM
    Over the summer, when stock was around $6 I was talking to my father about wanting to invest in RIM and asking about the easiest way to go about buying stock. He talked me out of it. Then over Thanksgiving when I saw him I pointed out the stock and how it had already increased significantly. He then told me that he would honor the 25 shares I wanted to buy and actually pay me out of his own money when I decided I would've wanted to sell my stock had I bought at $6. Game on, Dad!
    01-22-13 03:02 PM
    Way to go ybrbs ! I am still waiting for it to reach $20 before cashing some in to pay for my belief in em
    01-22-13 03:10 PM
    also a 'daddy' story here ..
    When they where about 7 $ i told him it was the moment.. stock stabilized , better comments , etc..
    He did not believe me and did not buy shares.
    Last week when they where about 13$ I called him and said : Dad i'm leaving to the bank , just made out for myself : i will buy shares!
    Well this took him over the line. He supported me after everything i told him about bb10 .
    So already made 3.3 dollar per share... Not bad within a 1 week range !!

Over the summer, when stock was around $6 I was talking to my father about wanting to invest in RIM and asking about the easiest way to go about buying stock. He talked me out of it. Then over Thanksgiving when I saw him I pointed out the stock and how it had already increased significantly. He then told me that he would honor the 25 shares I wanted to buy and actually pay me out of his own money when I decided I would've wanted to sell my stock had I bought at $6. Game on, Dad!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-22-13 03:12 PM
    A good father.
    01-22-13 03:23 PM
    I didn't do so bad on the stock either. However I have no plans on selling anymore shares for a long time.
    I cashed out around 14,000 shares on Friday (I don't consider it a mistake I needed the money..)
    I believe that this stock will reach the $45 range before Christmas 2013.
    I will be purchasing 5 BB10's.
    1 for my mom, 1 for my dad, 1 for my brother, and TWO FOR ME
    Because I can't decide on the N or L series, so I'll be purchasing both for me.

Thanks to RIM stock I'll be getting 4 BB 10s-notbadrimm.jpg
    01-22-13 03:35 PM
    If you held on you might have been able to buy 3 BB10s and a Porsche Design 9981 for a backup / collectible seeing where the stock is trending towards this week...
    01-22-13 03:43 PM
    My uncle told us that if the stock hits $30 we may be going on a vacation... im hoping if it hits $20 he'll offer a phone lol
    01-22-13 03:47 PM
    I concur with the stock's trend. I was being a little gutsy and bought 10,000 shares at 7.50 and I have been enjoying the climb so far.

What measure is everyone using for the cost of a the new BBs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk
    peter9477 and nquyen like this.
    01-22-13 03:54 PM
    Being a developer for a free one.
    bb624 and RHDJEEZY like this.
    01-22-13 03:59 PM
    when i bought RIM.TO in october i told myself i'd sell in Q2 2013 and go on a vacation with the profit. it's only january now and the stock has performed so well that I'll be able to take my girlfriend on vacation as well AND buy us both z10s. way to go RIM!
    peter9477 and RHDJEEZY like this.
    01-22-13 04:00 PM
    when i bought RIM.TO in october i told myself i'd sell in Q2 2013 and go on a vacation with the profit. it's only january now and the stock has performed so well that I'll be able to take my girlfriend on vacation as well AND buy us both z10s. way to go RIM!
    if you wait a few months you may be able to take some friends!

on a side note... wanna be friends? lol
    RHDJEEZY and bb624 like this.
    01-22-13 04:26 PM
    I can't believe how much money people have to invest. I feel sort of embarrassed that I only invested �100 (16 shares). Although I've never invested before and I mainly did it for fun and to make a little money to fund my BB10 purchase. I'm up to �180 already though so I'm pretty happy.
    bb624 and nquyen like this.
    01-22-13 05:13 PM
    Interesting to see the different levels of investment. While it has been good for those of us who bought at low prices, I still hope that those who got in a couple of years ago at much higher levels can recoup their investments at some point. It's going to be a long haul and may never happen but I sure like the buzz I'm seeing around RIM these days and like everyone else here hope that the 10 lives up to the hype. Think AAPL in 2003 when it was trading at $7 and is now just over $500. One can dream.
    01-22-13 06:51 PM
    I bought some shares when they were low. I really wanted a jetski for the cottage and the plan was to "let it ride" until my 40th bday, which is in 2014. If the stock keeps rising the way it has latley then I will be able to cash out this summer for an early 40th gift for myself.
    01-22-13 07:22 PM
    I can't believe how much money people have to invest. I feel sort of embarrassed that I only invested �100 (16 shares). Although I've never invested before and I mainly did it for fun and to make a little money to fund my BB10 purchase. I'm up to �180 already though so I'm pretty happy.
    Any investment, even a modest investment is valuable because it gives you experience! Take this knowledge and APPLY IT!
    01-23-13 01:13 AM
    I too made out good on RIM.TO (canadian funds so I'm guessing TO??) Back when they were at 11 dollars per share I invested in 247 shares (just under 3 grand) then just yesterday I decided to try something a bit riskier and invest in RIM with money that isn't my own (credit line) untill launch event or launch. But so far I've made enough money to buy us a new tv with the first investment.
    Hopefully the second one pans out enough that I can buy my hubby and I some new bb10 phones (he is going to wait until a slider comes out, I can't remember if there is one planned or not)
    All in all I don't think I'll know a company well enough to be comfortable enough to risk my hard earned money by investing in again. I think I was just lucky enough to be following RIM at this stage.
    I like reading stories like this, I've had the same conversationg with my step-father as some of you had, lol
    01-23-13 06:50 AM