...With that, if the camera SO IMPORTANT for the average smartphone comuny, I wonder why you dont see more Nokias, especialy the 1020 out there... 1020 has BY FAR the best phone camera, has a decent size sensor
    Because Windows Phone is terrible. Even the fancy camera doesn�t make it worth it. Its 2.8% market share and the declining share trend, especially after all the money that MS and so many others spent on that turkey of an OS shows that it�s hopeless.
    04-24-15 04:06 PM
    hopefully the final 10.3.2 software will make the camera just as good as other phones or even better. the hardware itself should be capable of a lot more. it would be sad to see you go
    04-24-15 04:10 PM
    What does market share have to do with the subject? And Blackberry's market share is less LOL.

Anyway playing catch with the dog and used camera ++ to get a moving shot. I don't know if it's bad or good.

Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150424_115247319.jpg
    04-24-15 04:11 PM
    My wife has loved her z10 for the last 2+ years, but has always been disappointed with the picture quality compared to her i sheep buddies. I recently switched from a z10 to a passport and I must say the passport picture quality is night and day over the z10. I can't understand why blackberry couldn't have upgraded the camera in the Leap or even z 30 when it was released. The camera is important to any user, consumer or enterprise.
    Totally agree, I got so fed up with the Quality of the Z10 Camera I went out and bought a Canon 5D Mk III and some nice 'L' Glass, now that's Quality, lets see an iPhone beat that!
    04-24-15 04:22 PM
    Because it's a bulky old phone at this point, and when it was current it was [in the U.S.] a total AT&T Exclusive so 2/3rd of the market didn't have access to it.

Also, when the alternatives are more than good enough, the choice of moving to a completely new ecosystem when you are so invested in your current ecosystem isn't as easy to make. The 1020 was also void of a lot of camera capabilities that many other smartphones have. It could not do Slow Motion Recording, or Smooth 1080p recording, it has ridiculously slow processing times by today's standard, quite a bit of shutter lag, etc.

You'll be surprised how good printed photos taken with a good camera phone look ;-) That's why a lot of people care about it.

Additionally, the trend of consolidation is as strong as ever. Getting a P&S means one more device to spend money on, one more to lose, one more to charge, one more to buy an SD Card for, etc.

When Phone A costs $600 and Phone B costs $600 but has a way better camera, it is the most logical, foolproof, cost-conscious decision to make.

Blackberry + $350 P&S = almost a grand.

An iPhone or Galaxy devies, or a Lumia, or anything else with a better camera will save the user hundreds of dollars up-front, and won't break up the convenience they like in managing photos from a smart device (Cellular Connectivity, Cloud Storage Services, Easy Synching to PCs [often Wireless], Trivial Sharing [BT, WiFi, eMail, MMS, IM, etc.]) which most cheap camera simply cannot match.

I think the most amazing thing is that, although the above has been stated thousands of times over the years... some people just cannot help by tell [or imply to] others that they should keep a BB and spend MORE money on a P&S device and carry it around in case they have to take an impromptu photo!
    The 1020 is not slow at all, simply because windows OS is a very snappy os, much snapier than BB10 or Android with the same hardware.

I do photography and videography for a living, and no, not even a 1020 takes pictures are clean enought to do a decent size print, at least for a good standard quality, althought there are plenty of photographers out there taking money to deliver average results. I work with recent full frame DSLR's and above ISO400 im already doing some cleaning in the shadows of some pictures.

1st- the 1020 has Image stabilization, wich a lot of brand new phones still don't, so you will get some stable 1080p, and the 1080p on the 1020 is A LOT better (sharper, and better dinamic range) than a lot of phones today that do 4K.

2nd - There are A LOT of point and shoots under 350$ tha easily outperform any phone. A 350$ point and shoot is a very high end point and shoot that isn't even comparable to a phone.

3rd- A blackberry doesn't cost 650$ to add 350 from a good point and shoot and end up with 1000$. You can get a brand new Z30 on ebay for 250$, maybe less... you can buy kit DSLR with lenses and you haven't reached 1000$ yet.

4th - No need for extra memory cards, if youre taking pics and vids with point and shoot, you wont need a memory card for your phone... but if you really want it, you can get a 32gb car for under 10 bucks, so not going to break your bank either. should ~I bring the point that modern phones are ditching SD card port? The most popular Android and apple phones don't have SD card bay (GS6 and iphone)

5th -This is a theory for those that rage on the forum because they want "top cameras", and a point and shoot isn't that much of a hassle to carry around if it's going to give what you really wish for, great pictures. A lot of cameras today have bluetooth or wifi, wich makes it really easy to upload to Hipstagram aswell.

6th -If i wasn't clear yet, this applies for the "photogeeks" only, not for the casual camera user. There is not a lot of people out there that cares about picture quality than me, but the average camera of the passport is more than enought for me...

7th -I understand that Blackberry is lagging behind in camera department, and I would also wish it was better, I also take pics from time to time and it wouldn't hurt if they were better. I also know that a good camera on a phone sells a lot, and blackberry needs to sell phones so it would be nice to see an improvement.

8th -90% of the people that complain about cameras don't even know crap about them, they just look at the megapixel count and assume they are better or worse.

When Phone A costs $600 and Phone B costs $600 but has a way better camera, it is the most logical, foolproof, cost-conscious decision to make.
    Let's follow that theory, because in it, only camera matters: Nokia 1020 wins, costs 250$ and has better camera than any brand new 600$ phone... Why it doesn't (or didn't) sell? well, it doesn't say Iphone or Samsung at the back, easy as that.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    04-24-15 04:25 PM
    I wonder what the OP's wife got.
    For those interested, my wife ended up purchasing an i phone 6. It was a hard decision, as she was really fond of the gestures and keyboard of the blackberry. In her own words after an hour of playing with the i phone "I am going to miss the blackberry 10 gesture based system and flick typing, the i phone software in a lot of ways feels like going backwards. Having to press the button to exit a screen. Not as good for multitasking." The good news is that if blackberry does indeed come out with an all touch phone with the complete package, she will gladly go back. As a blackberry loyalist, I did not try to bully her into a Z30, I let her make her own decision. (Hard to bully someone into a new two year contract with a phone already over a year old.) In the end if blackberry would just keep up and release a full package all touch phone to complement the passport, I feel they would retain a lot of customers whose contracts are expiring. Just my opinion. An interesting side note: When my wife walked into the store we were at in Alberta she asked if there were any other phones with better cameras and the same keyboard. (I new there wasn't but wisely kept my mouth shut). The employee helping us said "sure there is" and the employee brought out her Samsung S5. When my wife replied that isn't the same and showed the girl how the z10 typing worked, the employee immediately called over all of her colleagues to show how cool the typing gesture was on the blackberry. Very sad that the very employees who quote unquote sell the phones don't even know how they work.
    kbz1960 and Tatwi like this.
    04-24-15 04:32 PM
    For those interested, my wife ended up purchasing an i phone 6. It was a hard decision, as she was really fond of the gestures and keyboard of the blackberry. In her own words after an hour of playing with the i phone "I am going to miss the blackberry 10 gesture based system and flick typing, the i phone software in a lot of ways feels like going backwards. Having to press the button to exit a screen. Not as good for multitasking." The good news is that if blackberry does indeed come out with an all touch phone with the complete package, she will gladly go back. As a blackberry loyalist, I did not try to bully her into a Z30, I let her make her own decision. (Hard to bully someone into a new two year contract with a phone already over a year old.) In the end if blackberry would just keep up and release a full package all touch phone to complement the passport, I feel they would retain a lot of customers whose contracts are expiring. Just my opinion. An interesting side note: When my wife walked into the store we were at in Alberta she asked if there were any other phones with better cameras and the same keyboard. (I new there wasn't but wisely kept my mouth shut). The employee helping us said "sure there is" and the employee brought out her Samsung S5. When my wife replied that isn't the same and showed the girl how the z10 typing worked, the employee immediately called over all of her colleagues to show how cool the typing gesture was on the blackberry. Very sad that the very employees who quote unquote sell the phones don't even know how they work.
    Once she gets used to it, it will be all good. IOS is snappier than BB10, it might lack some features, but it makes up in others. Iphone 6 is a good phone, and IMO, might not take the best quality pictures on the market, but probably the most reliable at taking them, almost always takes a decent picture. The Passport for example takes very good pictures, but in difficult conditions, to take a very good pictures, you take 5 or 6 that are blurry, or out of focues, and have weird white balance.
    04-24-15 04:38 PM
    I hope she likes the iPhone good enough. Nice to know she would come back if there were a worthy upgrade anyway.
    04-24-15 04:40 PM

Your wife got what she thinks is going to suit her needs right now and that is what matters. She def will miss some BlackBerry features but I'm sure will love some of the iphone features.

I agree with you that BlackBerry really should be releasing a new full touch with big specs. They are going to lose faithful customers. Alas, they don't seem to care about "us faithful" customers and only seem to be focusing on cheap, old spec'd, enterprise hardware customers. In my opinion they are slowly moving away from the hardware business and gently sliding towards being a software only company, which really makes me sad.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-24-15 06:02 PM
    Let me be the first to say, that Apple watch is ugly as hell. Wow... I had a nicer looking Timex as a kid back in the 80s...
    Conan69 likes this.
    04-24-15 07:50 PM
    Fantastic photos - I have taken a couple of really good photos with my Passport, but most are just about 'ok', with a large minority just being really blurry.

Just wondering, do you have super steady hands? Am wondering if I don't have the steadiest hands in the world, and that's why very few of my Passport photos are better than ok. (Had a similar issue with my SLR - using a tripod I got fantastic results - handheld was not very good at all....).

I'm not sure if this is 100% legal, but today I had an Apple Watch try on, and I took some pictures with my Passport. The Apple Genius was actually pretty impressed with my Passport and called over a couple other employees to check it out! Anyways here's the shots.....

Attachment 349320Attachment 349321Attachment 349322Attachment 349323Attachment 349324Attachment 349325
    04-24-15 08:33 PM
    Here's an Ad for BlackBerry's upcoming smartphone:

The Leap, the phone for young mobile professional who values security and privacy*

*DSLR camera not included
    *Selfie and other photos are intentionally blurred to ensure privacy
    SMocek likes this.
    04-24-15 08:37 PM
    Because it's a bulky old phone at this point, and when it was current it was [in the U.S.] a total AT&T Exclusive so 2/3rd of the market didn't have access to it.

Also, when the alternatives are more than good enough, the choice of moving to a completely new ecosystem when you are so invested in your current ecosystem isn't as easy to make. The 1020 was also void of a lot of camera capabilities that many other smartphones have. It could not do Slow Motion Recording, or Smooth 1080p recording, it has ridiculously slow processing times by today's standard, quite a bit of shutter lag, etc.

You'll be surprised how good printed photos taken with a good camera phone look ;-) That's why a lot of people care about it.

Additionally, the trend of consolidation is as strong as ever. Getting a P&S means one more device to spend money on, one more to lose, one more to charge, one more to buy an SD Card for, etc.

Blackberry + $350 P&S = almost a grand.

An iPhone or Galaxy devies, or a Lumia, or anything else with a better camera will save the user hundreds of dollars up-front, and won't break up the convenience they like in managing photos from a smart device (Cellular Connectivity, Cloud Storage Services, Easy Synching to PCs [often Wireless], Trivial Sharing [BT, WiFi, eMail, MMS, IM, etc.]) which most cheap camera simply cannot match.

I think the most amazing thing is that, although the above has been stated thousands of times over the years... some people just cannot help by tell [or imply to] others that they should keep a BB and spend MORE money on a P&S device and carry it around in case they have to take an impromptu photo!
    Ummm.... paid $219 Canadian for my z30 so yer math don't add up.

Saving hundreds? Upfront? Get serious!!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:10 PM
    The 1020 is not slow at all, simply because windows OS is a very snappy os, much snapier than BB10 or Android with the same hardware.

I do photography and videography for a living, and no, not even a 1020 takes pictures are clean enought to do a decent size print, at least for a good standard quality, althought there are plenty of photographers out there taking money to deliver average results. I work with recent full frame DSLR's and above ISO400 im already doing some cleaning in the shadows of some pictures.

1st- the 1020 has Image stabilization, wich a lot of brand new phones still don't, so you will get some stable 1080p, and the 1080p on the 1020 is A LOT better (sharper, and better dinamic range) than a lot of phones today that do 4K.

2nd - There are A LOT of point and shoots under 350$ tha easily outperform any phone. A 350$ point and shoot is a very high end point and shoot that isn't even comparable to a phone.

3rd- A blackberry doesn't cost 650$ to add 350 from a good point and shoot and end up with 1000$. You can get a brand new Z30 on ebay for 250$, maybe less... you can buy kit DSLR with lenses and you haven't reached 1000$ yet.

4th - No need for extra memory cards, if youre taking pics and vids with point and shoot, you wont need a memory card for your phone... but if you really want it, you can get a 32gb car for under 10 bucks, so not going to break your bank either. should ~I bring the point that modern phones are ditching SD card port? The most popular Android and apple phones don't have SD card bay (GS6 and iphone)

5th -This is a theory for those that rage on the forum because they want "top cameras", and a point and shoot isn't that much of a hassle to carry around if it's going to give what you really wish for, great pictures. A lot of cameras today have bluetooth or wifi, wich makes it really easy to upload to Hipstagram aswell.

6th -If i wasn't clear yet, this applies for the "photogeeks" only, not for the casual camera user. There is not a lot of people out there that cares about picture quality than me, but the average camera of the passport is more than enought for me...

7th -I understand that Blackberry is lagging behind in camera department, and I would also wish it was better, I also take pics from time to time and it wouldn't hurt if they were better. I also know that a good camera on a phone sells a lot, and blackberry needs to sell phones so it would be nice to see an improvement.

8th -90% of the people that complain about cameras don't even know crap about them, they just look at the megapixel count and assume they are better or worse.

Let's follow that theory, because in it, only camera matters: Nokia 1020 wins, costs 250$ and has better camera than any brand new 600$ phone... Why it doesn't (or didn't) sell? well, it doesn't say Iphone or Samsung at the back, easy as that.
    Hi there the nail on the head my friend.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:25 PM
    I take some pretty sick shots with my Passport. Camera is pretty good!

BBM Channel C0001F285
    04-24-15 11:30 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry's really in trouble if Jaydee jumps ship ;(

Posted via CB10
    Passport's camera is awesome! ... the upcoming "slider" all touch / pkb high end phone should also be... those are tops in the Blackberry portfolio...

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:48 PM
    I have to quote this user again and say thank you. I purchased Camera++ and found it to take excellent macros and I am thrilled!!! I think the photos i am taking right now are so much better than the camera software I have on my Z30. Lots of control over functions and a better picture as a result. Thank you for the tip!
    Glad my tip helped you!
    Now take lots of practise shots with the new levels of control to learn what works for given scenes! You'll soon appreciate what making a good picture with your skills and not automatic settings feels like!

This Passport takes me places!
    04-25-15 12:12 AM
    First people were crying about the browser until BlackBerry 10 came out with the best mobile browser. Now, it's the camera. Well, here's my position on it. I won't by an icamera or an android star wars dork phone until those devices have The Hub, Active Frames, Peek, Flow, in the case of the icamera the ability to attach files to emails, Picture Password, and Remote File Access over Link.
    OK,but BlackBerry always had the worst camera from EDOF sensors to the current CMOS sensors

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 03:00 AM
    I mean I don't want a 1020 type camera, but just enough to match with competition.just buy the damn sony exmor sensors even (100$ phones have those) and put it with some element lens...voila!!....you got a good cam....but that's not where it ends BB10 sucks in Camera app load time,capture time and the auto controls are ****......just make everything manual,no limits just pure sensor on over hands, now that is some good camera in a phone. Particularly the white balance,it's mostly useless.Just by bringing manual white balance control,i'm happy

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 03:09 AM
    Is the camera on the Z10 and Z30 that bad? My Q10 has a pretty decent camera and I didn't think it was different from the one on the Z10.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    04-25-15 03:23 AM
    Is the camera on the Z10 and Z30 that bad? My Q10 has a pretty decent camera and I didn't think it was different from the one on the Z10.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    I bet some posters just forgot to wipe the camera lenses; I have a Z10 (private) and a Q10 (work), btw the app Paper Camera (in case u know it) works better on my Z10; I take pictures in HDR and Panorama mode and love it; even when I enlarge the pictures on my pc later they still look impressive.

No doubt other cameras are even better, but I usually buy a phone every 3-4 years and at least compared to iPhones I can't see a significant difference.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    04-25-15 05:21 AM

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    They can be. I think some of the newer OS's have helped speed wise and the camera ++ app helps too. A lot of the issue was how slow it focuses and made it almost impossible to get a quick shot or one that wasn't blurry. I had forgot about camera ++ and it helps a lot even with not changing the settings. I have started getting some acceptable pics in my eyes anyway.
    04-25-15 05:21 AM

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    I don't think they are bad just not good or great. I think the point of the OP was BB isn't going for great anymore. They seem to be excelling at average. And that stance lost them another customer who wanted to stay but couldn't find a good enough BB to warrant it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Tatwi likes this.
    04-25-15 05:44 AM
    I don't think they are bad just not good or great. I think the point of the OP was BB isn't going for great anymore. They seem to be excelling at average. And that stance lost them another customer who wanted to stay but couldn't find a good enough BB to warrant it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yep. She wanted an all touch upgrade with a better camera. And that's not being offered right now or maybe at all.
    04-25-15 05:49 AM
    The Z10 and Z30 cameras take amazing pictures of you are patient. The focus takes way to long to lock in and hdr is super slow. iPhone is point and click. BlackBerry needs to completely rebuild the software from scratch.

Loving my Z30 and BB 10.3.1!
    04-25-15 04:04 PM
355 ... 7891011 ...