My wife has loved her z10 for the last 2+ years, but has always been disappointed with the picture quality compared to her i sheep buddies. I recently switched from a z10 to a passport and I must say the passport picture quality is night and day over the z10. I can't understand why blackberry couldn't have upgraded the camera in the Leap or even z 30 when it was released. The camera is important to any user, consumer or enterprise.
    04-23-15 09:24 AM
    My wife is a camera fanatic. She did not like big phones. She wanted an iPhone. And dammit, I did all I could to sway her from it. I had her on an LG Viper (4years ago) then moved her on to a S4 Mini. She was somewhat satisfied, but she was not capturing much on her phone compared to her SLR. Then I took a chance and moved her on to a Q10. I crossed my fingers. But dammit, she loves that darn camera. Biggest reason possibly, is that it is so easy to hold in hand while you turn on the camera and snap away. The phone is on 10.3.1 and rarely ever takes a picture out of focus. At night it's not a great camera, but either were any of the cameras she has ever used. She does not want anything changed on her phone since I got her Instagram, Android Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    i too am looking for a better camera than my Z30 and I think my next device will not be a BlackBerry either. Sadly. I agree with your wife, an all-touch with a super camera is what we want.
    04-23-15 09:28 AM
    And here I thought you were going to say because the leap isn't an upgrade. I can relate, wish my camera were better also but in the Z30 pictures thread I see some really nice pics, maybe it's me?
    MarsupilamiX and thymaster like this.
    04-23-15 09:30 AM
    A lot of improvement can be had in the photo capability by using better software. The BlackBerry camera hardware is pretty standard, yet the software controlling that hardware and processing the image data is lacking.

I bought Camera++ from BlackBerry World because it allows you to directly control exposure, aperture, shutter, ISO, focus etc.
    It makes a big difference in the image quality over default.

This Passport takes me places!
    04-23-15 09:51 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Camera on the passport is awesome! Especially with the latest OS...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:54 AM
    A lot of improvement can be had in the photo capability by using better software. The BlackBerry camera hardware is pretty standard, yet the software controlling that hardware and processing the image data is lacking.

I bought Camera++ from BlackBerry World because it allows you to directly control exposure, aperture, shutter, ISO, focus etc.
    It makes a big difference in the image quality over default.

It does if you know how to use it lol.
    04-23-15 09:55 AM
    I think the cameras on the blackberry phones take very high quality photos and I have received many compliments on pictures I have posted to my Facebook,
    The only problem that I have with the blackberry camera is that they are way to slow to take a picture. Try snapping a picture of kid by the time the camera takes the picture you've missed them because they moved.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:55 AM
    It does if you know how to use it lol.
    Ha ha! Yes, my reply implies the lump of protoplasm on the outside of the phone knows how to point the thing at a good subject, compose a decent framing job and trigger the exposure without jiggling too much!

kbz1960 and andy957 like this.
    04-23-15 09:58 AM
    Here's a few shots I've taken recently with Camera++

Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150328_122625435.jpg
    Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150228_142116339.jpg

kbz1960, howards, zeelob and 28 others like this.
    04-23-15 10:00 AM
    I know the phones can, I just can't
    04-23-15 10:01 AM
    I forgot about the app camera ++
    bought it a few months ago and totally forgot about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:03 AM
    If your wife is comparing to a iPhone 6+ it's understandable. But then again if photo quality is so important to a person, why not get a proper camera?

Maybe she should get a Nokia phone in that case, they apparently have the best cameras by far.
    04-23-15 10:18 AM
    If your wife is comparing to a iPhone 6+ it's understandable. But then again if photo quality is so important to a person, why not get a proper camera?

Maybe she should get a Nokia phone in that case, they apparently have the best cameras by far.
    Why carry another device when you can get a phone with a great camera which satisfies both needs?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, Tatwi, TGR1 and 10 others like this.
    04-23-15 10:21 AM
    Digital Camera? It's like, Blackberry Maps suck! However, if it is that important why not use a device solely dedicated to that function? It will be better than anything a smart phone can offer.
    andy957, JRF_1986 and eduzojordan like this.
    04-23-15 10:23 AM
    i too am looking for a better camera than my Z30 and I think my next device will not be a BlackBerry either. Sadly. I agree with your wife, an all-touch with a super camera is what we want.
    Hi JAydee, please try Passport. The camera is too good. You been a BlackBerry brand ambassador for long. Hope Mr Chen is listening!!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    04-23-15 10:25 AM
    Yeah I have a buddy that his wife went from a 9900 to an iPhone because the people at work were shoes wing here awesome iPhone pictures and in his Q10 is OK, and they had a kid a year ago and are taking tons of pics now. He is saying his next phone will likely be an iPhone now too because of her experience with it and the pictures too and he is a PKB die hard. People here love to say specs don't or shouldn't matter, but they do! Mike " said no one would want camera and MP3 in a phone and BlackBerry has always treated these features as afterthoughts. The camera software in BB10 is pretty lame.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    04-23-15 10:27 AM

Everyone always has a phone now, but few carry a camera. If you can get an awesome camera in a phone, and have to spend money on a phone anyway, then why not get one with a great camera if you are into taking a lot of pics with your phone.

Maybe a better question is why isn't BlackBerry offering a comparable camera in the higher end phones to the competition given the price of the BlackBerry devices at launch?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:31 AM
    I agree passport is awesome, Z10 not so much.
    04-23-15 10:31 AM
    The point is, how hard would it be for blackberry to increase the megapixels in an all touch phone. They seem to ignore the things people expect out of a smart phone. A good quality camera should now be ingrained into any smart phone. Eg) Blackberry Passport. Unfortunately my wife doesn't want a physical keyboard.
    NYTOC83, Moonbase0ne and techvisor like this.
    04-23-15 10:35 AM
    First people were crying about the browser until BlackBerry 10 came out with the best mobile browser. Now, it's the camera. Well, here's my position on it. I won't by an icamera or an android star wars dork phone until those devices have The Hub, Active Frames, Peek, Flow, in the case of the icamera the ability to attach files to emails, Picture Password, and Remote File Access over Link.
    04-23-15 10:39 AM
    I have been into photography since I was 15 (over 40 years) and was a pro back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's and I have to laugh when folks expect DSLR quality out of a pea sensor camera on any of these smartphones!!!! Most of the images are software enhanced to begin with? The only thing I use my smartphone camera is to post a quick picture I might want to post on Facebook, Twitter or another social media site.

Even the pictures I post on Facebook that are for my camera groups are from my digital SLR's. Bottom line is if you expect high quality digital images, buy a good DSLR and be done with it!!!!
    04-23-15 10:41 AM
    Hi JAydee, please try Passport. The camera is too good. You been a BlackBerry brand ambassador for long. Hope Mr Chen is listening!!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Jaydee has been stating that she wants a high end all touch device from BlackBerry for a while now, like many others of us have. Passport obviously doesn't fit these requirements. I don't want a square screened PKB device. Great that you Passport owners finally got some late 2013 specs in your phones, but us Z users don't have any options other than the competition to upgrade to. Make an all touch Passport or a new 16x9 all touch device and great, but people need to stop bringing the Passport into the debate when all touch is clearly stated because that device is not desirable to the majority of the smartphone population.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:44 AM
    Not expecting the quality of image you're suggesting. If you compare a z10 image next to any other high end smart phone released in the last year it doesn't compare. Again my point is why blackberry continues to ignore what makes people happy with a phone.
    04-23-15 10:47 AM
    Quality of pictures is 90% depending on what's happening 14 inches away from the screen

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:51 AM
    The point is, how hard would it be for blackberry to increase the megapixels in an all touch phone. They seem to ignore the things people expect out of a smart phone. A good quality camera should now be ingrained into any smart phone. Eg) Blackberry Passport. Unfortunately my wife doesn't want a physical keyboard.
    Don't get caught in the megapixel consumerization marketing. More megapixels does not equate to better image. It's not even close to true.

Example: The Nokia Lumina 1020 has a 41MP sensor. My Nikon D700 has 12.1MP which one do you think takes better pictures? MP don't mean thing, other than another measurement that fanboys like to rant about. (Please BlackBerry take off that hideous 8MP Autofocus on the Leap, is 1990 calling?)

There is a very good phone camera comparison here: DxOMark Mobile - DxOMark

BlackBerry also doesn't have the buying power to get the "good" camera's in their phones. Like most other vendors, they are buying their components from other vendors. Who do you think has more buying power, Apple or BlackBerry? It's not even close. While Apple may design their own camera's they are relying on manufactures to build them. I'm guessing that BlackBerry is buying off-the-shelf components from other vendors.

Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-screen-shot-2015-04-23-11.51.11-am.png
    Last edited by GoJaysGo; 04-23-15 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo's
    kbz1960, TGR1, eduzojordan and 6 others like this.
    04-23-15 10:54 AM
355 123 ...