I have to disagree strongly with the idea that the Z phones are substandard compared to Apple and Android in terms of usability and productivity.

I was a PKB diehard who was forced onto a Z10 because my 9700 died before the Q was available back in 2013. I have since fallen in love with the VKB implementation on BlackBerry 10.

I've spent significant time on iPhone 4, 5, and 6, and I keep a number of Android phones and tablets on hand for testing websites, so I've had many opportunities to switch, but I am much, much more productive on my Z10 than on any of those "superior" phones. Faster processors can't make up for a bloated, ugly OS and crumby "feature"-laden software.

BlackBerry 10 is a stripped down race car compared to the Apple "luxury SUV" and the Android "over-modded strip cruiser." To each his or her own, but I just want to get where I'm going as quickly as possible, without all the silly "luxuries." You don't need extra horsepower if you're not lugging around a lot of excess weight!

This is just as true on with a VKB as with a PKB. Moreover, BlackBerry's VKB is head and shoulders above iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, laketrout73 and der_mit like this.
    04-30-15 08:09 AM
    I for one do not use my phone for taking pictures or videos, I have my digital SLR for that. I have been into photography since I was 15 and I use my digital SLR for my photography and only use my smartphone camera for a quick picture when a client needs one as a reference.

But!!!! I have seen a major change in the photography world in that folks now are using their smartphones for taking their family, friends, kids and travel pictures instead of the point and shoot cameras they once did.

I see more iPhone and Galaxies being used instead of the point and shoot and consumer digital SLR's like I once did. With that said, the focus for any smartphone manufacturer lately has been improving the camera and video functions of their devices.

This is for both the "consumer" and the "business" clients who purchase their products. Blackberry needs to step up their efforts to improve the hardware and software function of their cameras.

Even though I don't believe in pea sensor cameras, I am in the minority of the market. The dynamics have changed and you have to have something that's on par or better then what your competition has or folks are not going to buy it, period.

You either roll with what every else is doing or get rolled over and go the way of the dodo bird. If I am not mistaken this is the exact reason we are where we are today. Failure to listen to what the customer wanted and complacency. Just my two cents.
    I am using DSLR when I travel. But I do want my phone to have a good camera for my daily use and for easy uploading. In addition, I need a backup for my DSLR when traveling and I don't want to carry another camera.
    Last edited by pbfan; 04-30-15 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
    04-30-15 08:23 AM
    I understand that folks want a decent camera in their smartphones, but they shouldn't expect the quality of a digital SLR from a pea sensor camera. That's all I was saying.
    04-30-15 08:25 AM
    At least your wife isn't jumping ship to a new husband...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 08:27 AM
    I know what you mean. As much as I hate the camera in the Z30 I'm going to stick around and see if BlackBerry might get with it and use a decent camera in the slider.

Don't know why they can't get a camera from Sony or some other quality hardware.

Honestly I had better pictures with my 9810 than I do with this POS

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2708 / T-Mobile USA
    04-30-15 08:34 AM
    My neighbor in 2003 went to his kids' school events strapped on his neck a mobile phone, a DSLR with a mega zoom lens and a video camera. He would tag team between the Video cam and DSLR while answering or making occasional calls. We all want the best pics and video but c'mon. . .
    04-30-15 10:11 AM
    On the iPad, you can enable "Multitasking gestures." A 4-finger pinch takes me to the home screen, a 4-finger swipe upwards opens the task switcher, and a 4-finger swipe left or right switches me between open/"running" apps.
    I'll take the efficient 1-finger thumb swipe of BB10 over an awkward 4-finger pinch or swipe that requires two hands any day!
    04-30-15 10:36 AM
    I'll take the efficient 1-finger thumb swipe of BB10 over an awkward 4-finger pinch or swipe that requires two hands any day!
    I agree, these 3, 4 finger swipes are awkward.
    04-30-15 10:51 AM
    If you're expecting a lot of one-handed usability out of devices with 9.7" & 7.9" screens, the iPad and iPad Mini will definitely disappoint.
    solitude1984 likes this.
    04-30-15 02:04 PM
    Though the pics posted maybe acceptable to average viewers, they are not exceptional. Any photographic capture is a combination of technical specs and photographer skill. When people see examples of excellent pics taken with a particular phone, thinking they will be able to achieve similar results just by buying that model phone is nonsense.
    Learning how to better compose and expose your shots on ANY imaging device you are trying use will show the most improvements.
    Just knowing how cameras determine "proper" exposure and recognizing what situations will fool the automatic systems, and how to override or at least minimize the auto exposure functions pays huge benefits to the final result.

Expecting to take better shots just by getting a different phone is nonsense.

This Passport takes me places!
    But the masses aren't as intellectual, discerning or patient as some of us here. They like to take the easy way out when it comes to finding information out as well as using stuff. Many would accept what they see, hear or read without questioning whether the source is being fair, biased e.t.c... Marketing works on the masses. If enough people say BlackBerry cameras are not good and iPhone cameras are the best (on smartphones) then that's what many people would go with. Nerds and techies are like rebels. They are a group that doesn't mind going against the grain. They don't mind putting in a little effort to get the best out of something. They understand things that many others are to lazy to even try. That's the world we live in.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty and BeautyEh like this.
    05-03-15 10:07 AM
    Here to throw in my 2 cents.

I'm one of the people on here who thinks the Passport takes fantastic photos. But here is the catch... if there is any movement either from the object that is being photographed or if the phone itself is slightly moving, then it's extremely bad.

I only discovered this while on a recent trip sitting in the back of the car. The camera struggled so much (I'm actually baffled on how bad it is) to focus on the driver of front passenger. One out of five photos were able to focus after at least 10 seconds and the rest were just blurry. It was so bad that I said surely there must be something terribly wrong so I immediately restarted the phone and to my surprise, I had the same outcome!

Grabbed my friends Q10 and the camera would immediately focus and snap clear pictures one after the other. Something isn't right with the Passport's focus and it needs to be fixed asap.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:34 AM
    Two BlackBerry's owners in one car on a road trip. It would take a big computer to calculate the odds, maybe even an iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-03-15 05:55 PM
    I think we are all getting fat and spoiled by technology, lol. These cameras take great pics. What do you want? Blood? Get an actual digital camera.
    I have no problems with the 8MP camera. Apple didn't either, until 6+ came out.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and der_mit like this.
    05-03-15 06:33 PM
    I think we are all getting fat and spoiled by technology, lol. These cameras take great pics. What do you want? Blood? Get an actual digital camera.
    I have no problems with the 8MP camera. Apple didn't either, until 6+ came out.

Posted via CB10
    It's not the MP's. It's the focus etc. More MP's don't mean better pics.
    TGR1 likes this.
    05-03-15 07:05 PM

I'm one of the people on here who thinks the Passport takes fantastic photos. But here is the catch... if there is any movement either from the object that is being photographed or if the phone itself is slightly moving, then it's extremely bad.

I only discovered this while on a recent trip sitting in the back of the car. The camera struggled so much (I'm actually baffled on how bad it is) to focus on the driver of front passenger. One out of five photos were able to focus after at least 10 seconds and the rest were just blurry. It was so bad that I said surely there must be something terribly wrong so I immediately restarted the phone and to my surprise, I had the same outcome!

Grabbed my friends Q10 and the camera would immediately focus and snap clear pictures one after the other. Something isn't right with the Passport's focus and it needs to be fixed asap.

Posted via CB10
    What OS version were you running at the time? It has improved considerably since launch.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:28 AM
    I really don't have much of an issue with the camera. It is a little slow focusing but I still manage to catch blur free moving shots just as often as I do on my older Olympus point and shoot waterproof cam. Picture quality is far superior to my Z10 and more than adequate even in fairly low light. I have a 9.5 month old son who I am constantly taking pictures of and as many of you know at that age they NEVER stop moving. I haven't had any real issues catching him making funny faces or running around in his walker.
    05-06-15 10:20 AM
    I tried that with my Z30, but she didn't say the picture was "washed and dark, looks out of focus too," she said the picture made her look fat. In my defense, she said the same thing when I used her iPhone.
    You should have shot it in portrait mode. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 10:35 AM
    What OS version were you running at the time? It has improved considerably since launch.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576

I've always read how people complained about focus problems and this was the first time I experienced these issues and I was truly bothered with it.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 03:59 PM
    Your wife bought the wrong phone for taking pictures. Should have been the LG G3 with laser focus.
    She would have been even happier with the outcome and performance over any phone.
    Wish Passport had laser focus. The camera would be killer than.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 09:15 AM
    Wow I actually purchased a real CAMERA lol

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 10:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Same here. :-)

Orchid swaying in the wind ever so slightly. For a few split seconds I had focus intermittently, then it was blurry again...

Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150704_091152.jpg
    Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150704_091211.jpg
    Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150704_091227.jpg

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    07-05-15 12:46 PM
    The BlackBerry bashers will never be happy, even if the camera was top notch they would still complain or find another issue to complain about.
    Any way, here is an example of low light photos take on BlackBerry Z10 and on iPhone 6, there really isn't much difference.

Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-img_20150618_232057.jpg
    BlackBerry Z10

Thanks Blackberry, wife jumping ship today for all touch phone with better camera!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't BB update their camera?-20150618_222156305_ios.jpg
    IPhone 6

If anything, I think the Z10 took the better photo.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by der_mit; 07-05-15 at 01:46 PM.
    07-05-15 01:36 PM
    The BlackBerry bashers will never be happy, even if the camera was top notch they would still complain or find another issue to complain about.
    Any way, here is an example of low light photos take on BlackBerry Z10 and on iPhone 6, there really isn't much difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150618_232057.jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	361038
    BlackBerry Z10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150618_222156305_iOS.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	361039
    IPhone 6

If anything, I think the Z10 took the better photo.

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone photo looks artificially enhanced,
    the Z10 looks more life-like...
    :-)

07-05-15 03:36 PM
    Sorry, but there is way more clarity in the details of the iphone photo. Look at the ground. You can easily see the separation of the concrete blocks, if that's what you call them. Look at the background, much more detail. Now, I don't care really because I don't take important photos with my phone but let's be honest here.

Posted via CB10
    grydlok, BoldPreza and chex230 like this.
    07-05-15 04:00 PM
    Sorry, but there is way more clarity in the details of the iphone photo. Look at the ground. You can easily see the separation of the concrete blocks, if that's what you call them. Look at the background, much more detail. Now, I don't care really because I don't take important photos with my phone but let's be honest here.

Posted via CB10
    Both taken with flash on? :-)

The floor shows the Z10 flash.
    Also, the aspect ratio wasn't the same,
    there is less floor on the Z10 photo.

Not sure whether the iPhone is clearer because of the lens or camera, or because of on-the-fly digital enhancements by the phone's software. Looks quite reddish. Also, how many MP for the iP6 vs. the Z10?

Still, it's a good iPhoto... :-)

07-05-15 06:18 PM
355 ... 1112131415