View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    Can't vlingo do that?
    09-25-08 02:07 PM
    I have my berry in a holder attatched to the windscreen, and unfortunatly i m fearless, texting, calling, finding particular songs, inputting where i m going into the sat nav etc.... i guess i should stop now that i m aware!!hehe
    09-25-08 02:23 PM
    They just passed an anti-cell Phone while driving law here in Oklahoma, they don't want people talking or texting. I may be the other part of the reason a law has passed. because; about 3 years ago, I slammed into guy going 65 mph. who was texting while driving. He just ran a red light in front of me. My Cattle gaurd on the truck I was driving made lunch meat out of his Geo Metro. You could not tell what kind of car he was driving afterward! I didn't know either. Took the Highway Patrol several days of reconstruction to figure out it was a Metro. It looked like I hit a Golf cart. It didn't physically feel to me like I did the damage I did either! I did no damage to me, or the vehicle (Luckily)! I feel bad because he spent 6 months in the hospital with a broken Back and a cracked neck. The man did not wake up until after 1 month into his stay. I will never forget that, ever!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 02:42 PM
    ok, i m sorry to hear that, and i ll never use my phone again while in the hot seat hehe...
    09-25-08 03:05 PM
    Heck Yea It Is.

Why else would we have Blackberry's?
    You have got to be kidding me.......
    09-25-08 03:33 PM
    Kinda, But not Completely.

The whole point of having a Cellphone, ESPECIALLY a Blackberry is to be connected to the world, and to be interacting with the world at all times.

Thats what Blackberry's are built for.

Companies don't use them for work because they're pretty.

They use them so that their employees could be on call at all times, and be able to work from home.
    09-25-08 03:43 PM

The whole point of having a Cellphone, ESPECIALLY a Blackberry is to be connected to the world, and to be interacting with the world at all times.

They use them so that their employees could be on call at all times, and be able to work from home.
    I highly doubt Blackberry use is appropriate "at all times." Driving is one of them. (And I can think of a couple of other activities in which Blackberrying would be inappropriate.)
    09-25-08 03:50 PM
    Blasphemy!

::Holy Voice Speaks from Above::

"Thou Shalt Blackberry at all times!"

Case Closed.

09-25-08 03:53 PM
    Blasphemy!

::Holy Voice Speaks from Above::

"Thou Shalt Blackberry at all times!"

Case Closed.

good, i thought i was the only one who heard them!
    09-25-08 04:00 PM
    Just wondering who here is guilty of texting and driving at the same time. And if you do, do you do it one handed or two?
    Yes I've done it before but didn't like being so distracted behind the wheel. Now I'll only do it sometimes when I'm at a red light.

09-25-08 06:58 PM

Sort of like automobiles, which are basically 2500lb+ guided missiles, are designed to have drivers actually pay attention to driving type activities.

Nobody is important enough to risk everybody elses' life by not paying attention to driving.

The media is so concerned about guns killing a relative few people/year, yet they completely ignore the much higher death toll caused at least in part by inattentive drivers. Maybe if the news would focus more on bad/inattentive drivers (of which texting/phone use is a part), people might take the responsibility of driving a bit more seriously.

What will it take to get you guys to knock it off? A fender bender accident? Killing someone with your guided missile or what?

09-25-08 09:07 PM
    Download VLINGO! It let's u speak into the phone and changes it to text.. Its awesome!

~pooh luvs jamrock~

crackd out on my berry

09-25-08 09:09 PM
    I know it is only one study, but the findings are interesting.

CTV.ca | Texting while driving worse than being high: study
    09-25-08 09:11 PM
    here is the original article

RAC Know-How - Motoring news - Risks of texting at wheel revealed

here is some more on the same story (if you can see the video he is not really on the road, it's a simulator)

BBC NEWS | UK | Text driving 'worse than drink'

Another study

TRL Report | How dangerous is driving with a mobile phone? Benchmarking the impairment to alcohol

With a little luck Darwin will take care of the idiots who think they can still drive safely and use a phone at the same time. Hopefully it will just be them that loses something valuable and not an innocent bystander/passenger

Get a grip people, there is no email or text message that can't wait for you to pull over or get where you are going. And to the woman who can't be out of touch for the hour 'communicate' you need to move closer to the office or take a cab.

/off soap box
    09-25-08 10:24 PM
    How many people thought radios were a distraction when they were first introduced in automobiles?
    On a seperate note... I tried VLingo, and found myself more distracted because if the software didn't get my words 100% correct I had to manually go edit the text and VLingo doesn't support suretype.
    09-26-08 07:08 AM
    Hi. Good AM
    IMHO ... I think any1 who text / speaks on the phone while driving has NO REGARD for others well being; with that said my husband was on the receiving end of an accident this AM, low and behold and teenager was texting when she plowed into the back of the car. We have spent ALL morning at the emg room w/X-rays, having stitches (35) and worrying about a concusion.
    SO to ALL of you texters ...... think about the other people involved and know that the universe does not revolve around YOU and you thrill of texting/driving!
    09-26-08 09:35 AM
    How many people thought radios were a distraction when they were first introduced in automobiles?
    Radios are a distraction. Anything that takes your eyes off the road is a distraction and can have serious consequences.
    09-26-08 10:02 AM
    Your only concern if you are the one driving a vehicle should be driving. Head up, scanning in front and to the sides. If you cannot do that, do the rest of us a favor and take a cab or a bus, or some other method where you don't have to drive yourself.

09-26-08 12:31 PM
    I never text while driving... my kids will text me, and if i am driving i will call them back , albeit briefly, and answer them. Besides that, I need reading glasses to see what I am texting and driving with reading glasses on is just too risky in my book.
    09-26-08 01:07 PM
    I use a bluetooth headset. If my headset runs out of juice, then I'll make the call before I start driving and I'll put it on speaker.
    09-26-08 01:23 PM
    I am still learning. I can flip out a text on my regular (boring, limited, lol) cell without even looking. I am still in the process of learning where the keys are to be able to do it without looking at the phone. My drive/texting has gone WAY down since I got my bb.
    09-26-08 01:38 PM
    Radios are a distraction. Anything that takes your eyes off the road is a distraction and can have serious consequences.

Yes, but, with that logic, one shouldn't drive with screaming toddlers either.

Just a thought.
    09-26-08 01:41 PM
    Okay, so you all can type without looking at the keyboard while driving. How do you drive and read your INCOMING texts?????
    09-26-08 01:46 PM
    Yes, but, with that logic, one shouldn't drive with screaming toddlers either.

Just a thought.
    Yes. Pull over and take care of the kid if it gets distracting. Distracted driving isn't particularly safe no matter what the distraction happens to be.

09-26-08 01:50 PM
    I only text while I'm stopped at a light. If I talk while driving, I use my cars OnStar phone so it's pretty much the same as if you were talking a passenger.
    09-26-08 02:09 PM
576 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD