If you text while driving YOU can cause an accident. You may disagree with me and rant and rave all over me BUT I don't care what you say if you disagree with me. You are not infallible

I had a customer today who is a victim of a driver texting. The texter walked away with just a scratch. The woman he hit has a pin in her leg her has a scar on her face THAT I helped to find a foundation to cover
    Her car was totaled. She will NEVER walk normally again. NEVER

So while you are cockey and say it will never happen to you. I pray you are right. I hope you rethink your bad habit. Become a respectful caring person. Have the respect for that powerhorse you drive and love
    Love yourself and be safe. Don't text and drive. It is stupid and dangerous

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 03:00 AM
    I agree with everything you said in this post. And I am sorry for that woman. But, in all honesty, driving and texting is here to stay even if illegal. Just like drinking and driving. Too bad there's nothing really we can do to stop either of those.
    07-11-10 03:05 AM
    its not just texting, its anything distracting that people do while driving.
    07-11-10 03:47 AM
    I have also seen a lot of people in the US driving without seatbelts. So not even do they speed and text when driving, and endanger others (as the topic in this thread), but they dont even care for their own security -.-
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 07-11-10 at 04:12 AM.
    07-11-10 04:10 AM
    I have also seen a lot of people in the US driving without seatbelts. So not even do they speed and text when driving, and endanger others (as the topic in this thread), but they dont even care for their own security -.-
    everyone is guilty of speeding at some point or another. and i wouldnt start gearing the blame for fouled drivers on the US. bad drivers are everywhere.
    07-11-10 04:53 AM
    I agree with everything you said in this post. And I am sorry for that woman. But, in all honesty, driving and texting is here to stay even if illegal. Just like drinking and driving. Too bad there's nothing really we can do to stop either of those.
    actually a lot can be done to prevent it. if and when it becomes a big enough problem things such as cars equipped with anti-cellphone devices will be made, or phones that will not text when when moving more than 5-10mph.

i personally do not like taking calls while driving even with bluetooth its still a distraction and texting i only do at traffic lights. I personally like my car a lot (its a show car), so I tend not to do stupid things while driving. I personally do not think any text or call is that important while driving. my response to anyone that complains for my delay is responding to them is... I was driving.

But that's just me.
    07-11-10 04:54 AM
    I've seen more than my fair share of bad results from distracted driving, fully agree it's dangerous but you can't prevent everyone from doing it.

07-11-10 05:04 AM
    more than enough Americans believe they're the best driver on the road and do not care about other drivers reaction time to there stupidity or the passenger they may have in the car. I've have cars pull up to me at traffic lights and pace next to me on the highway (with an ***** passenger hanging out the window) trying to get my to race with them. I've seen enough accidents and don't want to be part of one based on stupidity. My biggest gripe is people who don't signal when changing lanes... seriously you're that lazy that you can't move your hand 1-2inches to the switch?

I've always said there should be a law in which allows other drives to report traffic violators... Receive more than 3-4 of the same or similar compliant in a month all reported by different reporters, you'll receive a ticket.
    07-11-10 05:08 AM
    I avoid it simply because I don't even text message or SMS. I hate the word 'texting' it makes me shudder. I mostly email all day. An occasional yahoo or even less occasional bbm. But nobody would care what form of communication I wanted to have it called....the newspaper article would read "Man runs down group of Nuns while texting."
    I don't ever want to be told I am "texting" someone when I'm freakin not. I was typing, not texting, when I drove over the nuns, please get it right. So, yeah....I agree its a dumb habit. With an even dumber name.

07-11-10 05:39 AM
    I have Vlingo for this reason.

Usually a text isn't important enough for me to have to hear while driving, but sometimes a friend will send me directions or maybe if I'm picking up dinner I'll get an order, so I just turn on SafeReader in my car.

I won't type unless I'm at a stoplight, and I won't even send a voice text (via vlingo) without me stopped so I can verify and press the 'send' button.

07-11-10 07:10 AM
    I've seen more than my fair share of bad results from distracted driving, fully agree it's dangerous but you can't prevent everyone from doing it.

I agree...for the most part you can't do anything to stop them, BUT....the OP is doing what needs to be done. Posts should be made, articles should be written, workshops in drivers ed should be mandatory.

I see texters all the time. No directional, swerving onto the wrong side of the road, blowing through stop signs and they act as if YOU did something wrong.

A girl last year came onto the street one block from me, she didn't realize she was pressing the gas so hard...was texting, swerved (all within a half of a block) and hit a pole with her front passenger wheel, breaking the pole, pulling down the wires, shattering her actual wheel. Thank god she was alright, but she was texting.

Im a big texter myself, but i also wont put myself or someone else in harms way.

So yes, there is something people can do about it.

1. post like the op did
    2. complain to police
    3. when someone almost hits you, roll down your window, flip them the bird and call them an a**hole texter.
    07-11-10 07:18 AM
    You can hit someone while being fully alert while driving too, the solution is not driving.

07-11-10 08:04 AM
    I’ve seen a person on a bike texting or smsing whatever you want to call it. They swerved towards the middle of the road I slammed on the break and when I passed them I yelled don’t text while peddling a##hole.
    I’m on the road a lot I see some crazy people saw a women with a baby in the back seat texting, “**** no” I do sometimes text when I’m at a stop light or in traffic not moving. Never with my kid in the car. Oohh also never use a cell phone around gas fumes I work at a refinery(no not BP) if you’d like to see what might happen I think I can send you an email. Or if there’s a way to post it here let me know.. Ok the fumes coming out of a tanker truck are a lot more then coming out of your car but you states that pump your own gas might want to think twice answering that phone ..i dought blackberrys or any smartphone are intrinsically safe
    07-11-10 08:08 AM
    everyone is guilty of speeding at some point or another. and i wouldnt start gearing the blame for fouled drivers on the US. bad drivers are everywhere.
    Yeah, I normally drive at the limit or 5 over...sometimes 5 under in bad conditions, and I am constantly tailgated.

Texting is bad but there are terrible drivers everywhere.
    07-11-10 09:58 AM
    thank you everyone for being in agreement.
    I just hope it doesn't take a lot of deaths to make it law. In AZ for instance, years ago and am sure today it is the same way, for a light to be installed at an intersection, it was based on the number of accidents/deaths at that intersection.
    A bummer lives have to be at stake to do something right.
    07-11-10 11:59 AM
    This reminds me of a similar thread about driving and Bluetooth. It's no difference really, in most places phone in hand is illegal. I personally don't understand why replying to a text can't wait until the car is parked. Or (gasp) call them back, providing you have a hands-free option while the car is moving.
    07-11-10 12:20 PM
    Stupidity runs rampant on Americas streets. It's really not isolated to texting, drinking or any other driving distraction. It has to do with a much deeper problem called "complete lack of respect and regard" for others. It is seen daily even in pedestrians who dart out in front of a cars acting invincible because the law says cars have to yield. I saw a family of 3 on bicycles yesterday crossing a busy intersection without any concern for the fact that their crossing signal was red. Don't they realize people make mistakes drunk, stoned or sober. And a 2000 lb car travelling at 30 mph should not be challenged. Unfortunatly human nature dictates the fact that most people never learn until it is far too late. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

07-11-10 01:24 PM
    It's our society. Many people believe they are more important than everyone else, thus justifying any habit (text while driving) they chose to undertake.
    07-11-10 02:27 PM
    I agree I try to leave my bb in the boot of my car as bluetooth still works and I am not distracted with anything like texts etc
    07-11-10 03:07 PM
    When I got my license I wrote texts while driving all the time. But after I calculated how many meters of the road I "missed" while looking at my phone for a couple of seconds, I stop doing that. Immediately.
    07-11-10 04:49 PM
    And it's ironic that it's mostly the person getting hit by the texter/bad driver that gets hurt, not the perp.

It's a jungle out there, to be sure
    07-11-10 07:58 PM
    Blah blah blah.. Drugs are baaaaad.

07-11-10 08:07 PM
    Blah blah blah.. Drugs are baaaaad.

You must text and drive. I am trying to stop myself. It's a bad habit!
    07-11-10 09:36 PM
    Driving is so dangerous...but I think people get complacent and follow the same habits day after day after day...I know NICE people that drive terribly. I don't know if they understand the risks you take every day.

Then someone dies and everyone gets upset...a "tragic accident" that could have been prevented by a little more patience...but they see the wrecks and continue their same bad habits every day.
    07-11-10 09:36 PM
    You must text and drive. I am trying to stop myself. It's a bad habit!
    If you really want to kick it get a touchscreen I used to take chances on my old T-9 phone but both A) reading research and B - having to look down @ touchscreen making it impossible...that was it.
    07-11-10 09:38 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD