Long story short....My company gave me a BB for company use as well as personal use. The catch is I can do whatever I want with it but no text messaging at all. I can use the phone for email, personal and biz and as much internet and data as I want.

Im a big texter cause I hate talking on the phone and I dont want to carry two phones just to text. My question is there a app that I can use where it uses the internet to send text messages without hitting me with a text message on my phone. I saw some software but it looks like it still would count as a text.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    09-30-08 12:41 AM
    Only option I can think of is to find out all of the people you text and what their cell company is, then send the texts as an email from your email account And please do not double post the same topic in two different forums.
    09-30-08 12:47 AM
    I personally have texted friends from my BB 8830 WE from SMS to email addresses and had no problem. You seem to forget the most important thing - the BB is a company phone, which means that anything you do on it can and will be copied and looked over by you supervisors. Personal email addresses and your personal passcodes will no longer be private.
    09-30-08 12:47 AM
    Get your own BB!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 11:07 PM
    Is AIM an option?
    09-30-08 11:47 PM
    You seem to forget the most important thing - the BB is a company phone, which means that anything you do on it can and will be copied and looked over by you supervisors. Personal email addresses and your personal passcodes will no longer be private.
    I may be wrong, but my initial reading of the OP is that the issue is not privacy from the boss, but rather texting costs. Just my thought, I could be wrong.
    09-30-08 11:50 PM
    Long story short....My company gave me a BB for company use as well as personal use. The catch is I can do whatever I want with it but no text messaging at all. I can use the phone for email, personal and biz and as much internet and data as I want.

Im a big texter cause I hate talking on the phone and I dont want to carry two phones just to text. My question is there a app that I can use where it uses the internet to send text messages without hitting me with a text message on my phone. I saw some software but it looks like it still would count as a text.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    You could always just send/recieve SMS from your email and avoid SMS charges that way:

Provider What's my SMS Email address?

AT&T [email protected]
    Example: [email protected]

Cingular [email protected]

Metrocall [email protected]

Nextel [email protected]

Sprint PCS [email protected]

T-Mobile [email protected]

Verizon [email protected]

ALLTEL [email protected]
    09-30-08 11:53 PM
    You could always just send/recieve SMS from your email and avoid SMS charges that way:
    Verizon [email protected]
    I didn't know about this. Does the message I get appears as a text?

But then the sender has to be able to send emails? So if they dont have email on their phone (just texting) they cant really send it to me this way?
    10-01-08 12:02 AM
    Why specifically do they not want you txting? Is it due to cost? They're already paying for unlimited phone and data. What's another few bucks for txting??? I guess you can offer to pay the extra for unlimited txting?

10-01-08 12:32 AM
    I didn't know about this. Does the message I get appears as a text?

But then the sender has to be able to send emails? So if they dont have email on their phone (just texting) they cant really send it to me this way?
    It's a text message from an email address - the recipient recieves it as an SMS and can then just hit reply and his/her SMS goes back to the original senders email address - - it's a standard SMS function.
    10-01-08 12:32 AM
    I jus tested it on my phone. I sent myself a message from my computer to my wireless# @ txt.att.net and the email came across as a txt msg (not sms) and in the field above the date where it normally tells you who its from (either a name if they are in your address book or their # if not) it was some random #s (1010100005) and in the body it said:

FRM: (my outgoing email name)
    SUBJ: test
    MSG: test

There's no way to reply back if you don't already have info (like an email or phone #) for the person in the 'FRM' field.

Seems like a great way to send annonymous txts (if u change ur outgoing name beforehand). Hey, I'm just saying..... :-)

10-01-08 12:54 AM
    I jus tested it on my phone. I sent myself a message from my computer to my wireless# @ txt.att.net and the email came across as a txt msg (not sms) and in the field above the date where it normally tells you who its from (either a name if they are in your address book or their # if not) it was some random #s (1010100005) and in the body it said:

FRM: (my outgoing email name)
    SUBJ: test
    MSG: test

There's no way to reply back if you don't already have info (like an email or phone #) for the person in the 'FRM' field.

Seems like a great way to send annonymous txts (if u change ur outgoing name beforehand). Hey, I'm just saying..... :-)

SMS is a text message - - be sure you don't use any signatures on your email or it will go beyond SMS size. - - all you have to do to reply is reply - the server on the providers ends knows to send it back to the email address. You can also generate the SMS text message from your side - - each provider has a number to send the message to - for instance I am on T-Mobile so I send a new text message (SMS) to the number 500 and then in the body of the text message you first type the email address you are sending to - then leave a space and type your message. I think average provider will hold the return address for reply for around 72 hours. All this obviously depends on the carrier - look at their SMS help pages and you can find all this information.
    Last edited by Dawg357; 10-01-08 at 04:37 PM.
    10-01-08 01:25 PM
    SMS is a text message - - be sure you don't use any signatures on your email or it will go beyond SMS size. - - all you have to do to reply is reply - the server on the providers ends knows to send it back to the email address. You can also generate the SMS text message from your side - - each provider has a number to send the message to - for instance I am on T-Mobile so I send a new text message (SMS) to the number 500 and then in the body of the text message you first type the email address you are sending to - then leave a space and type your message. I think average provider will hold the return address for reply for around 72 hours. All this obviously depends on the carrier - look at their SMS help pages and you can find all this information.
    You are right and I stand corrected. I just assumed if you replied to those random #s that it wouldn't go anywhere. I just tested it again and replied back to the random numbers and it went through. Interesting...this is good information to know.
    10-16-08 12:52 PM
    I feel emberassed to say I've never so much as sent a text message, though hopefully with an upcoming blackberry i'll get plenty of experience.

What I'd like to konw, however, is is this possible in reverse? Can a SMS be sent with an email address as the recipient and it show as email to your target?
    10-16-08 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD