I do not remember seeing this answered in any of the tethering threads that I have found.

If I have my 9700 on wifi, it is pretty easy to see based on bandwidth tests that it is using my routers vs m y 3g signal. Does it do the same when tethering? I did not do any bandwidth tests while tethering. I would assume it will use the best connection available i.e. highest bandwidth connection available.

True or False?
    04-15-10 08:57 AM
    I don't think you can tether using an outside WiFi connection, that would kind of defeat the purpose.
    04-15-10 10:11 AM
    I don't think you can tether using an outside WiFi connection, that would kind of defeat the purpose.
    I don't understand? My device is hooked into Wifi and 3G. It will prefer Wifi over 3G when doing data for most applications. In my house at this moment the device and laptop are using the same wifi router. If I take down the wifi on the laptop to test tethering over my device, what is it using, wifi or 3G?
    04-15-10 12:04 PM
    Shansmi,

I think what Totalimmortal is trying to tell you is there is no point in tethering your phone to a laptop if Wi-Fi is present because your laptop could just pick it up on it's own. The best way to test out tethering is to turn off Wi-fi on both laptop and phone and only use 3G because if there is ever a time when you would like to Tether since their is no local Wi-Fi around, 3G will be your source.

~Ry
    04-15-10 02:33 PM
    maybe, maybe not. I just had an incident where my BB would not connect over a repeater but I am sure if I had the laptop, I could have made them both work. I wish to test both but am just wondering if the BB will prefer wifi when both are present of tethering.
    04-15-10 03:36 PM
    I use the program Tether (Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether) to er, tether and that will work with either WiFi or 3G, EDGE, GPRS, whatever is available.

If WiFi is connected, then it uses that. Disconnect the WiFi and it will use whatever the phone is connected to.
    04-15-10 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD