Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Tethering an Android Tablet

I wasn't quite sure which area to put this in. So, if there's a more appropriate forum section, the mods are welcome to move this there.

I have a 9810 That I've upgraded the OS a number of times. My most recent was to a 7.1.0.694 hybrid. That and the stock OS version use some older files so the mike muting issue isn't there. But it does require adding a tethering plan to use hotspot, which would mean I'd lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Here's my issue. While I could use Bridge on my Playbook, not everything I use works well with Bridge. And I'm beginning to find my eyes don't handle a 7" screen well for long periods of time. I do most of my work on a 10" Android tablet. There are tethering apps that work on BB OS 7.1, but they all seem to need a PC on the other end of the cable -- all the drivers want a windows environment.

So, is there a tethering app that will work with an Android tablet or maybe a way to get my free hotspot working without going back to .378?
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,079 Global Posts

I don't think it's possible. My brother has had a SGT since the pre-Hotspot days, and when I did his research, my findings were the same as yours. He ended up getting a data SIM, so that was that.

One thing you could try is installing different 7.1 builds. Does AT&T block Hotspot on all of them? (assuming .378 is a 7.0 build)
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I don't think it's possible. My brother has had a SGT since the pre-Hotspot days, and when I did his research, my findings were the same as yours. He ended up getting a data SIM, so that was that.

One thing you could try is installing different 7.1 builds. Does AT&T block Hotspot on all of them? (assuming .378 is a 7.0 build)
    No. .378 is a 7.1 build. 7.0 doesn't do hotspot AFAIK. I mentioned .378 because .391 had complaints about a weaker radio file. But 7.1.0.4xx through 7.1.0.5xx Had both a mike muting issue on AT&T in a lot of locations (including where I live), and wanted a limited tethering plan to do hotspot. The earlier .6xx builds had the same issues. Apparently .714 brings back the mike muting issue, too. So, it's stick with the .694 hybrid & no hotspot or jump back to .378 and get hotspot back.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,348 Global Posts

Can the files in the OS that doesn't block it be put into the hybrid?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Can the files in the OS that doesn't block it be put into the hybrid?
    The discussion I've seen about that all seem to indicate that the .3xx and older OS files are too old to be compatible with the newer OSes. But that might be worth exploring with the hybrid builders. Thanks for the thought.
    CrackBerry Genius

The older .3xx and .2xx files don't run well at all with the new versions. I've tried on the 9860, and it will just corrupt the system if you try to do it.