I currently have a BB Torch, Playbook, and Windows laptop, but all are coming to the point of replacement, and so I'm hanging on to see how the environment shakes down in the new year with Windows 8, and BB10. To jump ship or continue to mix-and-match is the question!

To help me make up my mind I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 which has given the 3 year old machine a new lease of life, but have now found out that the BB modem is not recognised via USB and so tethering is no longer available.

Any sign of a fix for this as Windows users with a BB are likely to be leaving without this functionality. Integration is the king now!
    11-04-12 01:27 AM
    I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 and I'm able to tether my 9810 fine. I don't think this is a Windows 8/Blackberry integration problem, but possibly a configuration problem. I did have a problem tethering initially - got an error message about a port not being open or carrier not allowing tethering, or something like that. I uninstalled Desktop Manager, re-installed it, did a battery pull on my phone and now all is good. I don't know if this helps, but tethering is definitely possible.
    burstwick likes this.
    11-04-12 01:56 AM
    Many thanks, really appreciate the help you can get here.
    I did have to do it a couple of times, the first I got a 'modem busy or not configured properly' but the 3rd time it worked, so fingers crossed.
    So worth persevering if anyone else has a problem.
    11-05-12 01:38 PM
    Spoke too soon I'm afraid, worked once, then I keep getting the error 533 message, about a modem in use of wrongly configured.
    If I reinstall BB Desktop I manage to get past that error, and get a 734 error instead, just to keep things interesting.
    Any ideas out there?
    Probably should have said orange UK customer.
    11-10-12 02:12 PM
    Doesn't the torch have a wifi hotspot function available? Can't you use it that way? Only reason I ask is that a friend of mine has it on his and he uses his laptop on job sites via that method. He hasn't upgraded to Windows 8 so I don't know if that would change anything.
    11-10-12 07:16 PM
    11-10-12 08:22 PM
    Yes thanks, tried that, and again it works once then the error message comes up again.
    Guess I have to hope it's fixed in the forthcoming desktop upgrade for windows 8 we've been promised.
    Unless anyone else has any ideas?
    11-11-12 09:49 AM
    Yes thanks, tried that, and again it works once then the error message comes up again.
    Guess I have to hope it's fixed in the forthcoming desktop upgrade for windows 8 we've been promised.
    Unless anyone else has any ideas?
    So you uninstalled the desktop manager installed the framework and then reinstalled the desktop manager? Maybe you didn't get all the files when you uninstalled. If you don't know how to search out all the files which is a pain you could do a system restore at the first point you installed the desktop manager. That will get rid of all the files. Then you can install framework and then install the desktop manager. It's kind of a pain but Windows has a habit of holding onto files.
    Last edited by NFLPLAYBOOK; 11-12-12 at 12:27 AM.
    11-11-12 11:49 PM
    Hi,
    I have successfully created a cable tether as follows:-
    I uninstalled BBDM and restarted PC running Win 8 Pro 64 bit
    Install .net framework 3.5 to Win 8 computer and make sure it is accepted and running
    Restart PC
    Install BBDM as per normal process
    Attach BB 9780 and allow to be recognised
    Click on Mobile Internet bottom LH corner of BBDM
    Perfect and stable connection almost immediately and running like a dream - youtube videos loading and playing as well with little or no buffering
    Good luck everyone.
    11-24-12 05:22 PM
    Well, still stuck with this I'm afraid.
    Whenever I follow the solutions above it works, once, then on the second time the error message appears again, so it looks like the settings get altered in use, or on shut-down.
    Once again, help gratefully received...
    12-22-12 05:28 AM
    I notice you said that you installed .net. In windows 8 .net is part of the OS and you turned it on using features.
    Tether to windows 8 laptop-dot-net-windows-8.png
    12-22-12 05:36 AM
    I notice you said that you installed .net. In windows 8 .net is part of the OS and you turned it on using features.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dot net windows 8.PNG 
Views:	57 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	129210
    Yeah, tried it with all the boxes in 3.5 and 4.5 checked, and also with them partially filled in as in your screenshot, same thing happens
    12-22-12 09:17 AM
    OK, here's 2 workarounds, if you're really stuck, you can uninstall and then reinstall and it works once!
    However, if you buy a cheep Bluetooth adapter and set that up, it seems to work alright.
    There does though seem to be a bug somewhere in the programmes.
    Hope this helps someone else
    12-23-12 04:24 PM