Why would anyone pay $30 extra per month to tether their BB, when they could use the Tether app?

Am i missing something? is there any disadvantage to using the Tether app?
    03-09-10 12:10 PM
    the disadvantage is your carrier finding out you are doing and slapping you on the hand and demanding back payment since you violated their TOS, that you agreed to.

hence the reason i, personally, chose to use t-mobile. They allow for tethering.
    03-09-10 12:12 PM
    we've been discussing the very idea here http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/teth...10/index4.html
    03-09-10 12:13 PM
    the disadvantage is your carrier finding out you are doing and slapping you on the hand and demanding back payment since you violated their TOS, that you agreed to.

hence the reason i, personally, chose to use t-mobile. They allow for tethering.
    How would they find out? My plan says unlimited data (not 5GB like others). How could they penalize me?
    03-09-10 12:14 PM
    we've been discussing the very idea here http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/teth...10/index4.html
    this thread prompted me to inquire about this issue.

has it been determined that it is against AT&T's (for ex) policy to use this Tether app?
    03-09-10 12:18 PM
    How would they find out? My plan says unlimited data (not 5GB like others). How could they penalize me?
    Because in the Terms of Service they clearly spell out that you are not allow to tether your phone to a high data consumption device, like a PC/Notebook/Netbook. And when they see you are a lot higher than the typical data usage a red flag goes up.

so they look at the sites you're visiting and see 9/10 sites are not WAP friendly so they put 2 & 2 together and figure it out.
    03-09-10 12:19 PM
    I've been using tether for several months now even back when it was called tetherberry. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're not using insane amounts of data I don't think you will raise any red flags. That's just my opinion
    03-09-10 12:45 PM
    Check your terms. It says 5GB and no tethering. That said probably tethering in minute amounts if you need a data connection for a quick thing on the computer I don't think would harm anything.
    03-09-10 02:42 PM
    lets see you asked how they know you are tethering your berry?
    if you use youtube, bbciplayer, p2p or rapid share, it would very soon become obvious.

if you just use gmail, google and other websites then that should be ok.
    03-09-10 05:18 PM
    Check your terms. It says 5GB and no tethering. That said probably tethering in minute amounts if you need a data connection for a quick thing on the computer I don't think would harm anything.
    It doesn't say 5GB of data, it says unlimited. Either way, I don't hit 5 GB of data per month anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 08:22 PM
    ok so i guess my intent of this thread was to find out if there is any direct disadvantage to using the Tether app. Carrier policy aside, is there anything i am missing out on by using Tether instead of paying an extra $30/month to the carrier for tethering services?
    03-10-10 08:19 AM
    Carrier policy aside, is there anything i am missing out on by using Tether instead of paying an extra $30/month to the carrier for tethering services?
    None whatsoever
    03-10-10 11:09 AM
    is this just for certain carriers' policies?

i've used "tethering" before on my old windows mobile phone (was free, called wifi share and basically does the same thing) and i was not charged anything extra (didnt use a lot though)
    03-10-10 11:16 AM
    I use Tether on a daily basis and have had no problems. I only use to to acess my text books online when I need them, so I do not consume a lot of data while using it. As long as you do not stream high resolution videos and download large files, there is no disadvatnage of using tether.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 11:47 AM
    Because in the Terms of Service they clearly spell out that you are not allow to tether your phone to a high data consumption device, like a PC/Notebook/Netbook. And when they see you are a lot higher than the typical data usage a red flag goes up.

so they look at the sites you're visiting and see 9/10 sites are not WAP friendly so they put 2 & 2 together and figure it out.
    How could they tell? Wouldn't Bolt or Opera also trigger that? I am regularly using 300-500MB data per month and I don't tether. I would think I could surely limit my data usage in other areas (more mobile friendly browsing, limiting Apps and such) and tether every now and then and they wouldn't know the difference.

I currently have no need to tether, just curious.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 03-10-10 at 12:04 PM.
    03-10-10 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD