Ok CrackBerry, looking for some more community-sourced ideas here for an article I want to write for the homepage. The thought is to write it up as the Top Ten Things You Didn't Know a BlackBerry Could Do.

The idea for this one came while working up my BBM Channel Chat post today, which you read here: BBM Channel Chat, Take 2... A little cheating went a long way! | CrackBerry.com

For this Channel Chat, I actually paired my BlackBerry Z30 to my bluetooth mouse and keyboard and hooked it up to a monitor. While the hardcore BlackBerry people of course know you can do this, a lot of "regular" BlackBerry users and non-BlackBerry users would have no idea.

So I want to put together an article that showcases some of the coolest things they may not realize their BlackBerry can do. I have a few good ideas in my head, but think it makes sense here to turn to the community for input too. This is the kind of article that will help normal users maybe get more of their phone, and ideally turn the heads of non-BlackBerry users so they say "woahhh... that's awesome, I had no idea a BlackBerry could do that."

List your ideas below. Thanks!!
    11pts, Gatmyer, dibbis and 3 others like this.
    05-29-14 04:38 PM
    BBM'ing APK files to other BB10 users at work. They had no idea you can install apps without the need for a store.
    05-29-14 04:42 PM
    Using BlackBerry Link to remotely stream media, or just access the file system on my PC at home from anywhere in the world! File transfer either way. Seamless, awesome.

Posted via CB App from my Galaxy S4 Mini with an LED CrackLight ;-)
    Last edited by axllebeer; 05-29-14 at 05:50 PM.
    kbz1960, sirk25, semime and 8 others like this.
    05-29-14 04:52 PM
    Can run Firefox and Chrome on 10.3 and become a Wireless hotspot
    05-29-14 04:58 PM
    Not exclusive to BB10, but BBM Groups are really useful to follow-up with projects or events. It's like a project room in itself. I don't see a lot of people using that for real stuff.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-29-14 05:01 PM
    The USB hub gets a few I didn't know that it could do that looks from co-workers when I take files off there data collectors transfer them to my phone and e-mail them off. Z30 obviously.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    05-29-14 05:05 PM
    1. Tapping the date line within the hub will mark all messages as read.

2. Share your location in bbm with Glympse

3. Fastscroll through your homescreens with hoovering your thumb over the little screen icons.

4. Creating subfolders in your default picture folder will automatically create albums

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 05:06 PM
    Get photos and videos from my DSLR camera's SD card, edit them, and share them online.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 05:11 PM
    It's got a calendar!
    05-29-14 05:48 PM
    Open the same email in the hub and through the search app. This goes for BBM and text.

Flick type entire sentence. I close out a lot of emails with the same sentence. The key board has learned it and I flick the entire sentence.

Access many PCs with the file manager and Link. I can get any file off my desktop from anywhere and either download it to the device or stream it.

Open one app and while it is loading content, switch back to the home screen and open a second app.

Hold the shift key and select text.

Open and create Zip files.

Quickly search for files on cloud services like Box, Dropbox and One Drive from the native search app.

Run flash web sites.

Open Word and Excel files natively and edit them.

I could add more but I was trying to add things that iOS can't do. I haven't played with iOS in a while so maybe it can do some of that.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:06 PM
    It has a desktop!

BB10's home screen with active frames is the closest representation of desktop PC computing on mobile we have on any platforms. Apps can be minimized to active frames, just like the taskbar on windows. PC apps run when they are minimized or not in focus and BB10 apps do the same. Active frames are not widgets, they are running apps minimized on a task grid.

- On the Q10, you can press and hold the 0 key anywhere to dictate text.
    - you can complete 90% of tasks from the hub (notable exceptions: create a reminder, create a calendar appointment). I never open the standalone contacts, calendar, BBM, Whatsapp, Google Talk, applications because everything is cross-integrated into the hub and phone apps. It allows apps to serve me versus the other way around.
    05-29-14 06:53 PM
    My Q10 fell in salt water (the ocean) and lived to see another day!

Posted via Commodore 64
    05-29-14 07:01 PM
    You can create music sounds through an app in BlackBerry World guitar. Percussion, etc etc. Just like you see them do in the IOS TV commercials.

Three or four taps on the right side of the hubs screen reboots/ refreshes the hub alone ,without shutting down the device or affecting other applications you maybe using at the same time. Much of what other posters have already noted. Especially Remote access. HDMI applications such as BlackBerry express, which should be highlighted a lot more.

You can have other phone numbers assigned to your device such as Comwave, where you can get your own number in the app or use magic jack. Also you can make international cross platform BlackBerry Messenger calls with natural sound it sounds better than a network call..

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 05-29-14 at 07:57 PM.
    05-29-14 07:11 PM
    Hey what do you mean tapping the date line in the hub marks all as read?

Posted with none other than the Zed 10
    05-29-14 07:32 PM
    Never mind. I got it. Thanks for the tip

Posted with none other than the Zed 10
    05-29-14 07:36 PM
    Time shift camera isn't marketed properly...

Did you know you can time shift the entire image? You're not just limited to the faces.

Did you know that the time shift mode captures moments before pressing to take a picture?

Marketing teams should be shouting from the rooftops about how you can capture that perfect moment even after it happens. Great feature for parents of newborns/young children.
    Mr_F and axllebeer like this.
    05-29-14 08:19 PM
    Time shift camera isn't marketed properly...

Did you know you can time shift the entire image? You're not just limited to the faces.

Did you know that the time shift mode captures moments before pressing to take a picture?

Marketing teams should be shouting from the rooftops about how you can capture that perfect moment even after it happens. Great feature for parents of newborns/young children.
    Don't forget you can edit any photo and turn them into a pencil. / charcoal sketch

Posted via CB10
    pat-wallace likes this.
    05-29-14 08:52 PM
    I love storymaker! Brought my sister to tears when I made a mini film about my nephew's first year, stitching pictures and videos of him with music. It was ridiculously easy and then plugged in hdmi and got to watch it on the big screen!
    05-29-14 09:21 PM
    Recently I've been taking pictures of loyalty cards and using the share menu to store it in the remember app with the store name. Then at the store a quick search pulls up the picture for the number / barcode to scan.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:33 PM
    If you have a smart TV That is connected to your home network you can use your z10 q10 z30 to do this .
    send info thru your home network thru your wifi. Most smart tv's have DNLA not all do but worth a try

Your phone must also be connected to your wifi
    Open your pictures app , choose a picture
    Click on more bottom right
    select "play on "
    You will get a message that HDMI is not connected. But it will search for connection devices
    this will try and find your smart TV connected to your wifi

If it finds it you will be prompted by your TV To allow your BlackBerry and will play the picture or video on your big TV

Pretty cool no wires required

Note : does not work on every smart TV

Posted via CB10
    David in Durham likes this.
    05-29-14 09:51 PM
    NFC for file, photo, music Transfers with a tap, payment at stores that accept NFC a tap and you are done,Banking cheque deposits, take a photo of the cheque that's it! You can open pdf documents files fro Web pages encrypt them and send via email .

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:54 PM
    Access to attachments received from the hub and save them wherever I want
    05-29-14 10:08 PM
    If you have media eg YouTube playing in the browser, it will continue to play in the background. It even works while another app is in in the foreground eg a game or with the screen locked.

I have disabled the "open voice control with mute key" function so now I can pause and resume media in the background using the mute button. I wish it worked with everything eg CBC Music...

BlackBerry Wins! Flawless Victory!

AMAZING!
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 05-29-14 at 11:41 PM.
    Mr_F, GRojasHruska and nvthanh1994 like this.
    05-29-14 10:54 PM
    Recently I've been taking pictures of loyalty cards and using the share menu to store it in the remember app with the store name. Then at the store a quick search pulls up the picture for the number / barcode to scan.
    There's an android app for that exactly, in Snap. It's called Key Ring.
    https://www.keyringapp.com/
    Last edited by tdyhedge; 05-29-14 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added link
    05-29-14 11:34 PM
    With Instant Preview we can reply back immediately from anywhere or whatever we are doing whether we are browsing, watching video, writing an SMS / email we can immediately read and reply back without opening the App.

BlackBerry Z10 Rocks
    Mr_F likes this.
    05-29-14 11:43 PM
144 123 ...