Has anyone with TELUS get their blackberry GPS working without using the TELUS navigator? I have a Curve and I tried a few GPS programs and none can pick up any satellite.

I read from another forum that many users have problem but I'm wondering if anyone figured out any solution that is free with a data plan?
    06-05-08 11:28 PM
    I have mine working with both BB Maps and Google Maps. Make sure that under your GPS options that it's switched to "Location On".
    06-06-08 12:25 AM
    Mine is set to Location On. I'm very interested in getting the BB Maps to work. Did you have to install any other software for it to work?
    06-06-08 02:23 AM
    Got it working now... installed Navigator, re-register Routing Table, re-send service book, take out battery. The Navigator is working.. then BB Map is working.. Uninstalled Navigator and BB Map still works.
    06-06-08 04:32 AM
    how did you resend the service book? I found the service book option but not sure how to resend data. I am currently using Navigator free 30 days promo which will expire really soon so i like to get my BB maps to work.
    06-17-08 12:29 AM
    This did not work for me...
    06-18-08 08:55 PM
    Call TELUS DNA @ 8667717292... They helped me with this...
    06-19-08 03:46 PM
    I tried calling, the guy seemed eager to get me of the phone and simply gave me a ticket number to go and exchange the handset. I'm not really willing to do that, considering there's a pretty good chance I'll just get another one that doesn't work.

06-21-08 02:53 PM
    I seem to be having a similar problem. Iv had the phone for 4-5 months now. The gps has worked well for up until recently. I get really bad accuracy, no matter where i am all i seem to get is my position within 1700 meters. And at times im not even within that radius.... I never had a problem before.

I called Telus and the guy i talked to was, well lets say not the brightest bulb in the factory. He seemed very confident that the gps is an added feature and that i had some trial and thats why it worked before and not now. Then why would it still give me some kind of signal instead of nothing at all...?
    06-21-08 09:15 PM
    forums.crackberry.com/f52/telus-gps-youtube-42959/
    06-21-08 09:31 PM
    I got my Pearl 8130 a month ago and it had a GPS problem. For weeks I was pushed and pulled around and after 30 days, which is the limit for replacement handset, the problem still was not fixed. Do not believe what the TELUS reps tell you. This GPS issue seems to be a hardware problem, not a network issue. The patch they told me to put on did not work. The rep told me, since they finally clued in that it was my handset that was faulty, to take it to the store and have it sent off for service. I did not want to have to have a loaner phone and all that jazz as last time I got hosed and screwed over. I complained to the rep and told him that I was not going to send my phone in and that I want a replacement headset or else I am going to Bell. Soon as I said that I got a replacement. What I suggest is you phone TELUS and let them have it because I am pretty sure they know that they have many faulty handsets out there and they are merely humming and hahing in order to prevent them from having to replace it. Hope this helps.
    07-26-08 05:58 PM
    Wow, before you call in and "let them have it" maybe do some more research. Go to the Blackberry support forums on Blackberry.com and look up the "How GPS on CDMA blackberries works" thread. RIM has fessed up to this being an issue with their software, TELUS has nothing to do with this, regardless of what anyone says. So feel free to call Telus and scream at them because it wont resolve anything. And please no "they should have known" responses, because RIM doesnt pay Telus to debug their software. And sending the phone in is going to get you nowhere either, gotta wait for the 4.5 to (hopefully) fix it. Thx
    08-03-08 07:13 PM
    MY BBmaps work.....guess i got 1 of the good ones! lol
    08-05-08 12:01 PM
    Wow, before you call in and "let them have it" maybe do some more research. Go to the Blackberry support forums on Blackberry.com and look up the "How GPS on CDMA blackberries works" thread. RIM has fessed up to this being an issue with their software, TELUS has nothing to do with this, regardless of what anyone says. So feel free to call Telus and scream at them because it wont resolve anything. And please no "they should have known" responses, because RIM doesnt pay Telus to debug their software. And sending the phone in is going to get you nowhere either, gotta wait for the 4.5 to (hopefully) fix it. Thx

Rim never admitted anything. They tried to say that this stand alone gps we have has to be utilized on a clear sky--no kidding!! I have had 2 8130 from Telus as I returned the first as the GPS stopped working-it was working great on BB maps and then just stopped working-very same on the second. Telus tried to tell me this was the first they heard of this issue-it is on every bb forum there is. I am not saying it is all Telus' fault but they advertised the gps working with bb maps. I am paying $100 a month on a three year contract($3600) over 3 years-don't u think I deserve to have ALL THE FUNCTION OF THE PHONE ADVERTISED WORKING PROPERLY?? This has been going on for 5 months-its time Telus and Rim find a solution. I don't think this is whining-its just DEMANDING WHAT WE HAVE PAID FOR. If u bought a car that was advertised at the dealership as having a 300 hp engine and u found out it was only 200 would u say quit whining, the dealership can't do anything for you? To me it is the very same thing. If it was just starting to happen I could see your point-a little-but this has dragged on way, way to long.
    08-07-08 10:39 PM
    I have found the best thing to do is not use the Telus GPS on my Curve. I downloaded and use Google Maps for my Blackberry. Its kinda heavy on the data and those should be warned make sure you have unlimited data.

But It works awesome. Maps, directions, transit, turn by turn. Love it and its all free baby. Like I said above its kindda heavy on data.
    08-22-08 01:30 PM
    In all seriousness...

I've used the GPS on the 8830 and it's great entertainment but really a poor substitute for a GPS

A cheap $225 Garmin Nuvi 250 4.3" widescreen, it is a touchscreen AND is
    -easier to use
    -easier to see
    -has a host of additional features

and is a LOT safer. Being that most people need a GPS for driving or riding a bike, squinting at a little screen on the phone isn't exactly a brilliant idea.
    08-30-08 11:44 AM
    Telus actually uses a shot of a GPS mapping (I think Google maps??) on one of their new advertisements. I'm just about to buy a Curve, if it doesn't work, or has all the problems it seems to, that's pretty much false advertising, isn't it?
    08-30-08 09:53 PM
    I can tell you right now with 100% certainty that nothing is wrong with your handsets.

Blackberry Maps is poor software. It's hard to find satellites, connections, in most areas. Dont even try to attempt it in your house or neighborhood. Wait till you hit the 401 or a major intersection or highway. Try popping out your battery and doing it again.

Dont bother wasting DNA's and sales reps times for new handsets, your going to get the same result until they revamp the program.

Now Telus navigator on the other hand works perfectly and everywhere. I dont even think they use real GPS, they just connect to the towers.
    09-02-08 12:25 AM
    My GPS works fine!

I do find that indoors it takes quite awhile to connect though, sometimes upwards of 5-6 full mins. Maybe you guys give up before it connects? A little too impatient? I reduced this time by an app called GPSed and it's free! It seems to find sats faster than any other app. I run that app, then close out, and go into Google Maps right away, it finds the sats right away then, and has ~2-3M accuracy. On its own, GPSed is actually a good app, though it loads the browser to show posit on a map. Cool option is the geotagging of photos.
    09-04-08 09:15 AM
    Agreed, We pay for it, it should work.
    Telus says it is a RIM issue?
    I tried Google Maps, but it will not work unless i first manage to get BB maps working, which is rare....it generally never connects...
    10-10-08 09:42 AM
    I read on a fourm to install Telus Navigator, it loads a service book, and then you uninstall it...then BB Maps should work.
    Any one else heard of this, does it work?
    10-10-08 09:43 AM
    Hmm can't comment on telus nav. But my bbmaps seems to work fine, yea it does take a few minutes at first, but u just gotta be patient. Now when I load it up in the car it usually connects to 5-6 satellites within 2 minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 01:46 PM
    Ive been using google maps for all of my gps needs.

It doesn't give turn by turn voice directions but is pretty accurate. Never had a problem with it as well.

What happened to the good old days of using a map?
    10-22-08 11:04 AM
    i use the maps thing that came with my phone i don't pay extra and didn't install it not sure what its called, sorry. But the thing I dont like is it gives me only Toll roads. how can i get around that? and also this google map thing you are talking about do i upload that into the cell? and do i need to call CSR to ask about the point by point talking directions? I don't want it for my pearl but would love it for the storm.
    thanks in advance.
    11-14-08 01:09 AM
    So With the Google Maps... Even though it is heavy on the data resources does it use GPS? I installed it and it appears to give me my location...

But is that free? OR am I going to get a bill from Telus for GPS usage... It asked me if I wanted to use GPS and I said no. Then when the program loaded it appeared to find me where I was; I'm guessing it just used cell towers to find my location as I was inside at the time. But I'm curious if anyone knows about the GPS issue?

What software does TELUS give you to use when you are paying for their monthly GPS service.

Sorry a number of issues, but hey I'm new!!

Chad
    11-28-08 10:34 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD