I know it sounds funny but I think RIM is back in the race this yr. I hate everything being prooooolonged as much as anyone else. For the most part most non tech people didn't see iphone/Android technology popping up on the seen the way it did. They didn't hv everyone's eyes and critic's every thought watchin their ups and dwns. I think 2.0 and BB10 along with a growing developer base will put RIM back in the game. Nw, let's get some aggressive advertising for 2.0 showing the power of new meaningful apps. Take the gloves off in Feb. RIM^
    01-14-12 09:18 PM
    I think the new wave of BB 10 phones will be just in time for all those people who have contracts ending with iphones and androids and realize they miss there old blackberrys
    2ys4u and danimalchil like this.
    01-14-12 09:31 PM
    I think it will be while if they ever come back. The media attack on RIM has done major damage. Plus the need for apps says who will dominate. IE Apple.
    01-14-12 09:40 PM
    I think RIM still has to battle back from the bad image they built over the past 2 years, but also that 2012 will be the year that html5 "app" levels the playing field for RIM in the ecosystem battle.

CS
    2ys4u likes this.
    01-14-12 09:45 PM
    RIM needs to take their brand back to the quality brand they were before. A BlackBerry should be a classic prestigious device. Get rid of the lower end models that they made in the past. Build quality phones from quality materials. People will pass on the lack of apps if the phones are known as a prestigious quality business device.
    BigwhiteUK and danimalchil like this.
    01-14-12 09:52 PM
    Its true the media has killed em...Some are starting to give a second look especially with the Playbook 2.0 hands on. I think the biggest problem is consumers don't even know PB or OS7 exist....folks are always askin "wats that"???? Gotta market because people buy wat they see. Apple products are alright but folks buy em cause they see so many commercials n assume its the best product. Flood the market with info on a good current product n they'll consider RIM again
    01-14-12 11:09 PM
    I think it will be while if they ever come back. The media attack on RIM has done major damage. Plus the need for apps says who will dominate. IE Apple.
    Actually, It was stated on CB two days ago BB sells 43% more apps than Apple n 48% more than the robot phone
    01-14-12 11:15 PM
    I think 'in the race' is a good analogy. The things they're doing and talking about now are really telling people, hey, we're still here and have some cool things coming. If they can deliver on all of those things - specifically a head-turning BB10 introduction - they could truly become competitive again and a thorn in the sides of Apple and all the Android phone manufacturers, and hopefully ward off the impending threat of Nokia with Windows Phone.

And I don't agree that they need to get rid of the lower-end models. A significant part of RIM's revenue comes from BES and BIS subscriptions, which they get with every phone they sell whether it's a top-of-the-line Bold or an entry-level Pearl. It's the gift that keeps on giving, because even if they don't sell another phone, as long as existing phones are in service, they are generating revenue. Getting cheaper models into more hands also adds to brand awareness. And in this day where Neilsen's stats and market share carry so much weight, it just wouldn't be a good business decision to abandon the lower end.
    01-15-12 07:53 AM
    RIM has come a long way recently. Their release of OS 7.1 before the CES bucked the trend of them being late for key dates. Still waiting for the PB OS2, but if they follow through with the reported improvements next month they will continue to pave the way back in the catch-up battle.

It took them a long time to fall behind, and turning that around won't happen overnight. The hardware and software improvements will continue to happen relatively quickly in comparison to rebuilding their brand.
    01-15-12 08:41 AM
    oh yeah I'm sure they are gonna get the Market back.
    As I always said almost everyone owned a Blackberry at one point
    in their life's and I'm sure with the BB10 phones a lot of old fans
    will come back.
    Also BB10 phones represents a totally new OS unknown to anyone
    that hasn't played with the Playbook and its Awesome.
    iPhone still has the same OS with small updates, which I got bored of and if iPhone5 still
    has the same OS I'm sure many will feel bored too.
    01-15-12 09:14 AM
    I still really enjoy my old OS 5 devices and I have owned a 9810 and got to experience OS 7 and I really liked that as well. I'm most happy with my 9780 though..I'm excited about the new devices this year, can't wait to see what they will be like.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    01-15-12 09:24 AM
    the big thing that was hurting RIM was the trust, IMO. They weren't giving people concrete info when stuff was coming out or if they did it was always late and buggy. The fact that they delayed BB10 until its ready is a great thing and to fill the void they are advertising, FINALLY, and having contests to keep the world of BB interesting.
    01-15-12 09:28 AM
    I just checked out out the Nokia Lumia 800 and I must say that they have brought out a great product. As far as fancy transitions and OS smoothness is concerned Windows is way ahead of iOS and Androids. That was one snappy phone and loved the way it worked.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 01-16-12 at 02:34 AM.
    01-15-12 09:33 AM
    The dual-core ceo's need to be booted out. Bring in mark hurd and rim will back as a major player.
    01-15-12 09:50 AM
    The dual-core ceo's need to be booted out. Bring in mark hurd and rim will back as a major player.
    And which multibillion dollar company do you run to have credentials for advising RIM on their choice of CEO? Or are you just repeating some news you might have read and cornered yourself into making an ill informed opinion backed by a lot of gas but no substance?
    01-16-12 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD