I have been a loyal BlackBerry user since 2001, before the days of fully integrated mobile devices � smartphones. Lately, I have been wondering why my next device should be a BlackBerry. My doubt is not prompted by any loss of faith in the company�s future, but rather in the most basic of needs. I need my next device to support me. So what does that mean?

Of course I need my next device to have killer email and PIM capabilities. BlackBerry does that without any doubts. But, I also need it to support other aspects of my life. I�m not a big gamer, but I like some simple card games to pass a few minutes throughout my day and I think BB10 has my needs covered here. The ability to search and browse the web for information is useful and I think the BB10 browser does the job there. It�s the other aspects of my life that are missing � Netflix, apps for the US banks that I use, stock trading app for the service I use, etc�.

When will BlackBerry catch up in these areas? What is the critical mass of devices that will cause developers to want to build for the platform and services companies to want to support it?

I am targeting the Z30 as my next device if I stay with BlackBerry, so I have some time to make my decision, but I am wondering why I should stick with BlackBerry and I wanted your opinion to help me decide.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    Bob Ahlberg and Henraay0623 like this.
    08-19-13 08:18 AM
    Nope, I ain't gonna tell you to stay. If you have to ask peoples opinion to make up your mind, that means yours is made up already. Take the leap to BB10 or not is your choice and yours alone. No one here but the developers can tell you if those apps you desire are going to show up anytime soon. However simple solution. Buy a cheap iPod Touch or Android Device, and carry it with you for apps you need. Connect those to your BB10 Hotspot and your good to go.
    08-19-13 08:21 AM
    Because it does what you want and need now. Not promises or things it may or may not do with an update.
    bekkay and Blacklatino like this.
    08-19-13 08:23 AM
    Nope, I ain't gonna tell you to stay. If you have to ask peoples opinion to make up your mind, that means yours is made up already. Take the leap to BB10 or not is your choice and yours alone. No one here but the developers can tell you if those apps you desire are going to show up anytime soon. However simple solution. Buy a cheap iPod Touch or Android Device, and carry it with you for apps you need. Connect those to your BB10 Hotspot and your good to go.
    I thought one of the purposes of BB10 was so you only need 1 device unlike BBOS where many carried 2. So it use to be, I have a bbry for email, BBM and what not but I carry X phone for all the fun stuff. Now it's I have a bbry for email, BBM and what not but I carry X phone for apps?

I don't think that's what they had in mind.
    08-19-13 08:27 AM
    cos its not laggy and bloated like Android ... or locked down like and inflexible like IOS ... (and i dont even rate windows phone, its just a mess) .... but if its apps you desire then at this stage its IOS or Android or side loaded Android apps on BB10
    08-19-13 08:38 AM
    I thought one of the purposes of BB10 was so you only need 1 device unlike BBOS where many carried 2. So it use to be, I have a bbry for email, BBM and what not but I carry X phone for all the fun stuff. Now it's I have a bbry for email, BBM and what not but I carry X phone for apps?

I don't think that's what they had in mind.
    I only carry one device as well (well two but a Q10 and Dev B). Anyways I say to carry a second to those who have to have apps

Posted via my Q10 | BerryLeaks Co-founder
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    08-19-13 08:41 AM
    Tell me why I should stick with BlackBerry-webheading.jpg

Posted via Z10 and CB10 on Rogers
    web99, bekkay, mk2234 and 2 others like this.
    08-19-13 08:42 AM
    OP: Most banks have decent mobile sites. The BB10 ecosystem is not even a year old. If all you care about is quantity of apps, go with the rest of iOS Android sheep. If you want something that is new and exceptional, go with BB10. I haven't regretted it.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:45 AM
    Well, according to some, here, you should only expect what is available or has been promised as of the day that you bought your hardware. If you come back in a few months and say that you are disappointed at how the platform has developed then you will be criticized for having those expectations and asked why you are complaining when your device still works.
    08-19-13 08:46 AM
    Well, according to some, here, you should only expect what is available or has been promised as of the day that you bought your hardware. If you come back in a few months and say that you are disappointed at how the platform has developed then you will be criticized for having those expectations and asked why you are complaining when your device still works.
    You buy a device for what it does not what it'll do in the future no?

web99, mk2234, Savior4Life and 3 others like this.
    08-19-13 08:49 AM
    I only carry one device as well (well two but a Q10 and Dev B). Anyways I say to carry a second to those who have to have apps

Then why not just use another platform that gives you it all and only carry one? Unless of course you're a die hard bbry fan and want to try to support the company.

Although I do carry my phone and tablet, tablet for the larger screen, not apps so not any different I guess.
    08-19-13 08:50 AM
    Then why not just use another platform that gives you it all and only carry one? Unless of course you're a die hard bbry fan and want to try to support the company.

Although I do carry my phone and tablet, tablet for the larger screen, not apps so not any different I guess.
    I suffered on iOS and Android over the 2 years while BBX now BB10 was in production aha I won't go back.

Sexy Sadie likes this.
    08-19-13 08:52 AM
    OP: Most banks have decent mobile sites. The BB10 ecosystem is not even a year old. If all you care about is quantity of apps, go with the rest of iOS Android sheep. If you want something that is new and exceptional, go with BB10. I haven't regretted it.

Posted via CB10
    My BBOS bank app tells me when someone uses my bank cards or accesses my bank account in real time and the web site will not do that.

If I reading a blog on the web with our BBOS or iphone, I can double tap and font will become large enough to read and the sentences are reflowed to stay in the frame.

The iphone has more Apps but I have read that they tend to be better quality Apps as well.

I agree with your strategy of waiting. Perhaps by that time 10.2 will cure some of the nagging issues that appear to be out there and by that time you will be able to compare BlackBerry with the latest iphone running iOS7. You need to try out the phones in person.

Here is hoping that BlackBerry gets new ownership with deep pockets and phone experience so that we can use a matured smartphone platform.
    cgiglia likes this.
    08-19-13 09:05 AM
    I don't get these "convince me to stay with BlackBerry" threads. In all honesty, if you are having doubts about your phone and are at the point where you need to ask people to tell you to stay, it's probably time for you to move on. From what you describe, it doesn't seem like BB10 will be a good fit for you at all so I'm not going to lie to you and tell you how much you will love it. There's no shame in trying something new. It's just a phone
    JasW, Bbnivende, web99 and 5 others like this.
    08-19-13 09:09 AM
    When will BlackBerry catch up in these areas?
    I've been using a BB as long as you have, and I had been asking myself that question for a couple of years. I finally saw the writing on the wall and came to the conclusion: it's never going to catch up. Ever. When it comes to apps, you have second-class citizenship with a BB, and you always will because in the overwhelming majority of cases, apps are developed only for Android and iOS. Period.

Two things: First, mobile sites are a crappy solution. Second, it's a poor argument that a platform's success in the marketplace can only mean that the platform's users are "sheep."
    21stNow, SMocek and Blacklatino like this.
    08-19-13 09:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    So people that want apps are just sheep? You're really going to make that excuse for BB10's ecosystem?
    08-19-13 09:11 AM
    If you have no idea why, or if, you should stay with BlackBerry, then who does? Not to sound mean or ignorant, but I frankly don't care if you stay with BlackBerry or not. It is YOUR choice. As I've often said, it is just a phone, it does not define who one is as a person, and one should never care what anyone thinks of their choice of phone. Nor should we care what anyone else uses. Do what is best for YOU.
    Last edited by shaleem; 08-19-13 at 10:13 AM.
    08-19-13 09:13 AM
    If all you've had were BlackBerry's then why do you need Netflix app? I sideloaded it and never used it. I would load a native version but waiting for that is like waiting for grass to grow. No wait it's slower than that. It's like waiting for a cab in the middle of a corn field. As for banking apps I use the browser. It does the job well. You can save websites with the "Add to Homescreen" option. If you are good with everything else then just get the BlackBerry and enjoy being a Black Sheep. Help add 1 more BB10 user to push those devs a smidgen closer to consider building their apps for us. If you don't want to bother waiting and just want everything now go ahead and try something new. Good luck.
    QuickDime and cgiglia like this.
    08-19-13 09:22 AM
    Not sure why people come here to ask others if they should stay or go. But since you asked, if the apps you need are not available on the BlackBerry platform, your answer is obvious, isn't it? Don't buy in on the hope that the apps you require will eventually come.
    08-19-13 09:23 AM
    I can't.
    It comes down to personal preference and I am not you

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:23 AM
    Sorry, but this type of questions because I seem pathetic.
    Fashion Unite to criticize BlackBerry!
    I like blackberry, period!
    "Give me Tools not Toys". That to me says it all.
    08-19-13 09:27 AM
    Because I said so
    08-19-13 09:29 AM
    You should not stay its that simple your needs of apps alone should make you leave for an under performing platform! it is really simple your needs are not met so dash the convenience and the hassle free things that you like about blackberry and go to the environment you prefer> good luck with android and or ios.
    08-19-13 09:43 AM
    I think the best thing for you is to switch to another platform and see if it does for you what you want it to do.. I honestly think that if you've been using BlackBerry for as long as you have, you'll fully enjoy BlackBerry 10.. but it seems you're in doubt... so go and check it out...

From the Z...
    08-19-13 09:47 AM
    Tell my why I should tell you why to stick with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:48 AM
94 123 ...