How long before the major phone company's stop supporting BlackBerry phones on their networks, which would be the final nail in BlackBerry coffin.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 05:16 PM
    That's happened already.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 05:17 PM
    Would it be technically possible to no longer allow bbos or bb10 or any other os to be used on a network?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 05:29 PM
    Would it be technically possible to no longer allow bbos or bb10 or any other os to be used on a network?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I also don't get how (and why) a network company could do this...I mean we are not talking about BIS.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 05:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    The only devices that would have been affected was BBOS7 and below. Even though the carriers mostly have ended support for them you can still find smaller providers continue to offer the BIS ,however for how much longer hasn't been determined. After all, the 80 million + devices that were in use globally, didnt just vanish.

BlackBerry 10 does not use BIS so apart from updates that now may not be pushed out by the carriers, they will not affect the operation of BlackBerry 10. You can try to update outside of carriers however, that is IF BlackBerry decides to eventually release any update for the OS. Judging by how long they have been promising to update the OS, it's Hi highly doubtful any further update will be forthcoming.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 06:02 PM
    The only devices that would have been affected was BBOS7 and below. Even though the carriers mostly have ended support for them you can still find smaller providers continue to offer the BIS ,however for how much longer hasn't been determined. After all, the 80 million + devices that were in use globally, didnt just vanish.
    There are less than 10M BBOS phones still in active use, and the vast majority of them are in Indonesia, South Africa, and Nigeria. I'd be shocked if there were 1M of them between Europe and the Americas.

Sprint and T-Mobile have already shut down BIS, and AT&T and Verizon have both announced that they'll be doing so early next year. BBOS isn't long for the US. It will probably get another year in Canada, though.
    09-28-16 11:36 PM
    How long until the few remaining develpers jump the ship and make my BlackBerry completely unusable - except for e-mail?

BlackBerry totally lied about WhatsApp's & Facebook's support - BlackBerry itself cut the line!

Hope their business partners will notice that, when partnering up with this SOFTWARE company,

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 11:49 PM
    How long until the few remaining develpers jump the ship and make my BlackBerry completely unusable - except for e-mail?
    I'll tell you in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2....
    09-29-16 12:33 AM
    Chen talked about Canadians not supporting Blackberry, but I bet you won't find the full lineup like this in the US! (shot this pic a month ago or so at a Sasktel outlet in a small Saskatchewan town)

PS: I have full BIS on my BBOS7 device. But I am also willing to bet that here in Canada we will offer Blackberry longer than in the US.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Telco Support of BlackBerry-tapaupload0.jpg  
    09-29-16 01:26 AM

BlackBerry totally lied about WhatsApp's & Facebook's support - BlackBerry itself cut the line!

Hope their business partners will notice that, when partnering up with this SOFTWARE company,

Posted via CB10
    Where was that stated? That would seem weird to me since BlackBerry launched that whole social network campaign trying to get BlackBerry users to contact Facebook/Whatsapp and show their support of said apps on BB10. Is there an article clip or anything that showing that?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 01:49 AM
    Where was that stated? That would seem weird to me since BlackBerry launched that whole social network campaign trying to get BlackBerry users to contact Facebook/Whatsapp and show their support of said apps on BB10. Is there an article clip or anything that showing that?

Posted via CB10
    Nah, don't believe everything you hear on the internet. That goes DOUBLE for this site...
    09-29-16 04:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    What about their strong commitment to OS10, it's users and developers?
    That was the promise, not that long ago and now.

So, what about:
    -new SDKs?
    -new Android runtime?

What did they develop the past WHOLE year?
    Right, nothing - that 10.3.3 is just a certificate "update".

Nothing more and nothing less - no real new functions, no evolution - nothing.

And why would they tell the truth about WhatsApp and Facebook?
    Why would Facebook take away their APIs from BlackBerry - while Face10 etc. keep working - then within 24 hours after that decision, Facebook made up their mind and gave those APIs back?

They were not expecting that loud shout.

But then no Facebook-app update since March?

That's what is wrong!
    BlackBerry are the ones who are lying!
    They gonna make OS10 unusable until people (supposed) to jump the ship.
    It's been long planned to crash down the hardware!
    Even "Blend" is discontinued for no reason!

Tell me, where I'm wrong with that?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 04:16 AM
    correct me if i am wrong: bbos7 need bis - if carrier don't want to support, it would be gone. bbos10 do not use bis, just like all the other phone comply with std transmission std. if it is qualified at carrier spectrum, it should work without trouble for what ever it design to and qualified by FCC. from routing stand point, no difference from the carrier side i believe. App is different animal, it is OS dependent... unless carrier app specifically designed for droid or iphone, there is no issue for the old BB10 device on carrier's data plan - of course, they want you to upgrade to new handsets all the time and use more of their data... I am wrong?
    09-29-16 08:39 AM
    correct me if i am wrong: bbos7 need bis - if carrier don't want to support, it would be gone. bbos10 do not use bis, just like all the other phone comply with std transmission std. if it is qualified at carrier spectrum, it should work without trouble for what ever it design to and qualified by FCC. from routing stand point, no difference from the carrier side i believe. App is different animal, it is OS dependent... unless carrier app specifically designed for droid or iphone, there is no issue for the old BB10 device on carrier's data plan - of course, they want you to upgrade to new handsets all the time and use more of their data... I am wrong?
    You got it!! Of course you know BlackBerry 10 uses regular data plans.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 06:21 PM
    You got it!! Of course you know BlackBerry 10 uses regular data plans.

Posted via CB10
    many thanks.. BB10 uses regular data plans with optimized usage...(overhead light compare to droid), so it is a bit lower usage compare to the droid of same vintage... i believe. Thanks again.
    09-30-16 07:47 AM
    many thanks.. BB10 uses regular data plans with optimized usage...(overhead light compare to droid), so it is a bit lower usage compare to the droid of same vintage... i believe. Thanks again.
    BB10 doesn't do any data compression out of the box,

BlackBerry 10 Data Compression Compared to iOS and Android | N4BB
    09-30-16 10:20 AM
    BB10 doesn't do any data compression out of the box,

BlackBerry 10 Data Compression Compared to iOS and Android | N4BB
    agree. but how can you explain many of crackberry observed that uses less data perform same task of BB compare to the iphone and droid? besides overhead, display resolution? (iphone does have high res of the same generation... image size will be larger, for example... or extra code of doing what? ).... swift do have optimization... does qnx has that too?
    09-30-16 11:04 AM
    agree. but how can you explain many of crackberry observed that uses less data perform same task of BB compare to the iphone and droid? besides overhead, display resolution? (iphone does have high res of the same generation... image size will be larger, for example... or extra code of doing what? ).... swift do have optimization... does qnx has that too?
    You'll have to link to some of these examples so I can get a better idea of what you mean but generally unless a website is optimized for a specific device/OS, all capable devices will use about the same amount of data to download it. Same goes for images, unless the server is compressing or changing the image, the download size will be the same.

App developers can certainly help with this by disabling or limiting downloads when you're not on wifi or using compression techniques of their own but BlackBerry to the best of my knowledge doesn't do any of this at an OS level with BB10 like they did with BBOS devices. I think the only OS that does this is Windows Phone with Data Sense.
    09-30-16 12:33 PM
    You'll have to link to some of these examples so I can get a better idea of what you mean but generally unless a website is optimized for a specific device/OS, all capable devices will use about the same amount of data to download it. Same goes for images, unless the server is compressing or changing the image, the download size will be the same.

App developers can certainly help with this by disabling or limiting downloads when you're not on wifi or using compression techniques of their own but BlackBerry to the best of my knowledge doesn't do any of this at an OS level with BB10 like they did with BBOS devices. I think the only OS that does this is Windows Phone with Data Sense.
    many thanks.
    09-30-16 01:48 PM
    As the other poster pointed out BlackBerry 10 has no compression. However what you MAYBE observing is that BlackBerry 10 has a lot less going on in the background than Android, which due to various applications tends to use more data .

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 01:50 PM
    As the other poster pointed out BlackBerry 10 has no compression. However what you MAYBE observing is that BlackBerry 10 has a lot less going on in the background than Android, which due to various applications tends to use more data .

Posted via CB10
    that make sense... thanks.
    09-30-16 01:56 PM
    that make sense... thanks.
    No worries

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 02:01 PM