Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
Like Tree8Likes
  1. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Technologies I would like to see for my smartphone in 2011/2012

    I spend a lot of time on my blackberry's, and have a lot of windshield time to dream of things I want.

    So here are some things I would like to be able to do with my smartphone in 2011/2012

    #1 Hot swappable batteries
    The fact of life is I'm never gonna get a 24-36hour battery out of a smart phone, I would estimate I spend 6 hours a day physically typing, in addition to reading or music or random misuse. I don't mind if I have to have spare batteries, but I don't want to have to do a reboot, 5 minutes down time middle of the day can be a pain especially if involved in a few chain emails, you can fall behind 6-10 emails in that time.

    PUSH GPS navigation
    What I envision here is my GPS to push me relevant detail, if I have a GASRewards card I want to see where the gas stations I want to fill at are with a simple redirect to station X button, this would put the smartphone ahead of the GPS standalone unit for GPS navigation, ( I could write a huge article about how I see this working, and RIM fortunately has a patent on part of the technology to make this great)

    Point of Sale paying
    Be it through hardware or software or infrastucture I want to pay for my meal at a restaurant with in my case my Blackberry, and have the receipt emailed to my Blackberry, I want to go into Best Buy and purchase my goods, and pay with my Blackberry and have the detailed receipt sent to my Blackberry, Less paper please!

    Wireless Streaming
    I want to Stream music/video/txt off of my smartphone onto another device, looks like the Blackberry PlayBook is going to bring this to me, but I want implementations for other devices as well,

    Peripheral devices
    Hardware manufacturers need to embrace the peripheral market, and make it easy to connect peripherals to the devices, and Peripheral makers need to open their minds,
    I would like to see a Business Card Scanner (not just a silly Camera) connect directly to my BB no Computer needed
    I would like to Doc my BB into a Printer like you can with Kodak Camera's/Printers and Print Documents, or pictures directly from the device
    I would like to see Lens kits for Smartphone Camera's if we are going to see 8MP camera's I want to be able to change the lens for better picture taking
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek (07-18-2011) 
  2. cavingjan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,242 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I do not like typing in a password. The biggest thing I want to see in upcoming phones is a fingerprint reader to replace those password prompts.
  3. syb0rg's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,141 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I do not like typing in a password. The biggest thing I want to see in upcoming phones is a fingerprint reader to replace those password prompts.
    With touch screens becoming more and more popular i could a touch pad lock, where you would have a 3x3 or 4x4 grid and you would swipe a pattern to unlock the phone.

    I know there are some companies doing this now, but i see it growing in popularity.
  4. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjneid View Post
    With touch screens becoming more and more popular i could a touch pad lock, where you would have a 3x3 or 4x4 grid and you would swipe a pattern to unlock the phone.

    I know there are some companies doing this now, but i see it growing in popularity.

    I'd sooner have biometrics, over having to swipe a pattern

    with my keyboard BB I don't have to look at the screen to unlock, I'd like to keep that function.

    I could see Iris Biometrics before finger reading just because of frontfacing camera's slowly being included, as hardware increases, and software gets better, it is something that could be eventually included. though I wouldn't use it,
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  5. the_sleuth's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,163 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,174 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Biometrics & Smartphones

    I was going to post a new thread. But seeing this thread, I thought I would try to kick start it again for you deRusett.

    I have been reading a lot of app developers bringing biometrics security to iPhone and Android. For example,



    I wonder where BB developers' or RIM's progress (if any) in this promising area of business.
  6. oldtimeBBaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    374 Posts
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    I spend a lot of time on my blackberry's, and have a lot of windshield time to dream of things I want.

    So here are some things I would like to be able to do with my smartphone in 2011/2012...

    I would like to see Lens kits for Smartphone Camera's if we are going to see 8MP camera's I want to be able to change the lens for better picture taking
    Im intrigued by how you could combine SLR functionality and still keep the form factor. I may not be thinking far enough outside the box, so I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to accomplish that feat.
    We have clearance, Clarence.
    Roger, Roger.
    What's our vector, Victor?
  7. CGI
    CGI is offline
    CGI's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    676 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    How about a laser projector on the top of the phone? We are probably still a couple years away from this making it to a phone, however.

    Another thing I'd like; a powerful Atrix-like BlackBerry. Again, probably some time before processors are ready to fulfill what Atrix is trying to do (Atrix too underpowered).
  8. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimeBBaddict View Post
    Im intrigued by how you could combine SLR functionality and still keep the form factor. I may not be thinking far enough outside the box, so I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to accomplish that feat.
    Fisheys Lens | Camera Lens for iPhone
    Telephoto Lens For Your Phone

    A Wide Angle Lens for your Phone or Pocket Video Camera. | wolf and redhood media



    Things like this, but worked into mass production, some playing with portability and proper distribution, without hacks to make them attach and work, possibly a threading around the existing lens on a Blackberry camera
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  9. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_sleuth View Post
    I was going to post a new thread. But seeing this thread, I thought I would try to kick start it again for you deRusett.

    I have been reading a lot of app developers bringing biometrics security to iPhone and Android. For example,



    I wonder where BB developers' or RIM's progress (if any) in this promising area of business.

    LOL!! I saw this thread on my blackberry earlier today, didn't make note of who the first poster was and was like !!!! man I love this guys Ideas,

    then I saw it was me! haha
    that was such a great laugh for me today thanks!

    EDIT: forgot to comment on the link

    I'm very not impressed with Biometrics currently on computers even, so having it on a smartphone I just don't see the advantages for YET!, I really think we are a long way away from useful biometrics on the potable scale.
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-17-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to comment on the post
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  10. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGI View Post
    How about a laser projector on the top of the phone? We are probably still a couple years away from this making it to a phone, however.

    Another thing I'd like; a powerful Atrix-like BlackBerry. Again, probably some time before processors are ready to fulfill what Atrix is trying to do (Atrix too underpowered).
    Laser projector? like a Laser pointer? or like a pico projector built into the phone like Nokia tried?

    I don't think a laser pointer will fly, the abuse of laser pointers would give a bad name to the devices, you'd have to be a niche brand to do that a major brandname would risk their image being associated with troubles
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  11. Duvi's Avatar

    Posts
    13,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy
    #11  

    Default

    The fingerprint reader came first...

    Hot-swappable batteries would be awesome
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
  12. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    The fingerprint reader came first...

    Hot-swappable batteries would be awesome
    I've been yelling for Hot swappable batteries since 2009 I think, someday my dream will come to fruition
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  13. blue81to's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    173 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I would like to see a self-contained transporter device similar to the one Lore(Data's evil twin brother) had.

    A super secure and ultra advanced bluetooth setup. But instead of using an earpiece with a microphone, it will use an embedded microchip in your brain. You could make phone calls, compose emails, send text, bbm, surf the web, select music play list and input text in any text area, gps, compass, all with thought commands. It will also create 3 dimensional holograms in your mind that you can interact with like in the movie Minority Report. This will greatly increase the efficiency in which you can process data.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
  14. Duvi's Avatar

    Posts
    13,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    I've been yelling for Hot swappable batteries since 2009 I think, someday my dream will come to fruition
    Keeping it honest though, my windows phone takes less than a minute to load up. Only time I ever have trouble waiting for the device to load is with Android and BlackBerry devices. iOS and Windows Phone load up in a jiffy.
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
  15. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Keeping it honest though, my windows phone takes less than a minute to load up. Only time I ever have trouble waiting for the device to load is with Android and BlackBerry devices. iOS and Windows Phone load up in a jiffy.
    well iOS doesn't have a swappable battery period

    Haven't extensively tested out the new Windows Phone.
    but my desire for Hotswappable is to not lose a minute of the business day, or be in mid conference call and having to discount to change batteries.
    reboot times aside, it is the ability to have the always on, always mobile that I truly want
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  16. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    70,474 Posts
    Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I'd like to see the screen able to project on the wall and a full size keyboard being projected on your desktop for when using it inside at a desk.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
  17. CGI
    CGI is offline
    CGI's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    676 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    Laser projector? like a Laser pointer? or like a pico projector built into the phone like Nokia tried?

    I don't think a laser pointer will fly, the abuse of laser pointers would give a bad name to the devices, you'd have to be a niche brand to do that a major brandname would risk their image being associated with troubles
    Yes, like a pico projector.

    I could see that come in handy sharing photos etc. But... especially if I were a salesman having the ability to share content about my company to potential clients.
  18. BigBadWulf's Avatar

    Posts
    35,963 Posts
    Global Posts
    35,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I'd like to see the screen able to project on the wall and a full size keyboard being projected on your desktop for when using it inside at a desk.
    Took the words right out of my thumbs.

    I see a projection lens, with either a fold-out kevlar screen, or portable screen that attaches. Wide screen, with HD quality of course.

    The hot swap idea is great, and so is swappable lenses. Maybe he lens could be held with a magnet internally or a quick clip, and a button release mechanism.

    One more suggestion. Let's make the processor upgradeable, and slots for more memory.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

    Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

    BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    info600 likes this.
  19. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,977 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post


    One more suggestion. Let's make the processor upgradeable, and slots for more memory.
    That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. The carriers and hardware manufacturers want people to buy a new device (with a new contract) every 2 years. They would lose a lot of money if folks kept their smartphones longer, like many folks do with their PCs.
  20. BigBadWulf's Avatar

    Posts
    35,963 Posts
    Global Posts
    35,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. The carriers and hardware manufacturers want people to buy a new device (with a new contract) every 2 years. They would lose a lot of money if folks kept their smartphones longer, like many folks do with their PCs.
    Geeze Laura, can't a man dream?
    WAPers do it With A Passion

    Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

    BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
  21. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGI View Post
    Yes, like a pico projector.

    I could see that come in handy sharing photos etc. But... especially if I were a salesman having the ability to share content about my company to potential clients.

    as a sales guy I can say I very much would want my projector as the second unit, I walk around way to much to be holding my phone still, delivering a presentation I get animated.

    IF it was built into my tablet, and I could wirelessly control the slides with my blackberry THAT would be awesome
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  22. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    Geeze Laura, can't a man dream?

    my dream and hopes out of what I wanted this year and next are at least realistic.


    giving the ability to change ram and processors means they can't be embedded which would DRASTICALLY increase the thickness of the device, and the chips since again you'd have to make sure they are not too thin to break easily. I can't see an upgradeable device under 18mm thick
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  23. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #23  

    Default

    NFC is supposed to be in the next generation of BB's, so being able to pay for things right from your BlackBerry is not too far away.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
  24. nyc_rock's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,402 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Keeping it honest though, my windows phone takes less than a minute to load up. Only time I ever have trouble waiting for the device to load is with Android and BlackBerry devices. iOS and Windows Phone load up in a jiffy.
    My Galaxy SII boots up in about 30 seconds. Way faster than my Iphone 4.
  25. 01itr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    423 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I don't see the issue with hot-swappable batteries.. :S Couldn't you just have a little tiny built in battery with a small charge, so that when you disconnect the battery it will go into a sort of freeze state or something until you connect the other battery, which when connected would recharge the tiny battery.

    Similar to how a computer goes into sleep or hibernate mode, using very small amounts of energy until you turn it back on. I don't think the built in battery would have to be very big for that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions