I spend a lot of time on my blackberry's, and have a lot of windshield time to dream of things I want.

So here are some things I would like to be able to do with my smartphone in 2011/2012

#1 Hot swappable batteries
    The fact of life is I'm never gonna get a 24-36hour battery out of a smart phone, I would estimate I spend 6 hours a day physically typing, in addition to reading or music or random misuse. I don't mind if I have to have spare batteries, but I don't want to have to do a reboot, 5 minutes down time middle of the day can be a pain especially if involved in a few chain emails, you can fall behind 6-10 emails in that time.

PUSH GPS navigation
    What I envision here is my GPS to push me relevant detail, if I have a GASRewards card I want to see where the gas stations I want to fill at are with a simple redirect to station X button, this would put the smartphone ahead of the GPS standalone unit for GPS navigation, ( I could write a huge article about how I see this working, and RIM fortunately has a patent on part of the technology to make this great)

Point of Sale paying
    Be it through hardware or software or infrastucture I want to pay for my meal at a restaurant with in my case my Blackberry, and have the receipt emailed to my Blackberry, I want to go into Best Buy and purchase my goods, and pay with my Blackberry and have the detailed receipt sent to my Blackberry, Less paper please!

Wireless Streaming
    I want to Stream music/video/txt off of my smartphone onto another device, looks like the Blackberry PlayBook is going to bring this to me, but I want implementations for other devices as well,

Peripheral devices
    Hardware manufacturers need to embrace the peripheral market, and make it easy to connect peripherals to the devices, and Peripheral makers need to open their minds,
    I would like to see a Business Card Scanner (not just a silly Camera) connect directly to my BB no Computer needed
    I would like to Doc my BB into a Printer like you can with Kodak Camera's/Printers and Print Documents, or pictures directly from the device
    I would like to see Lens kits for Smartphone Camera's if we are going to see 8MP camera's I want to be able to change the lens for better picture taking
    Laura Knotek and NursingNinja like this.
    09-28-10 01:15 PM
    I do not like typing in a password. The biggest thing I want to see in upcoming phones is a fingerprint reader to replace those password prompts.
    09-29-10 08:01 AM
    I do not like typing in a password. The biggest thing I want to see in upcoming phones is a fingerprint reader to replace those password prompts.
    With touch screens becoming more and more popular i could a touch pad lock, where you would have a 3x3 or 4x4 grid and you would swipe a pattern to unlock the phone.

I know there are some companies doing this now, but i see it growing in popularity.
    09-29-10 08:15 AM
    With touch screens becoming more and more popular i could a touch pad lock, where you would have a 3x3 or 4x4 grid and you would swipe a pattern to unlock the phone.

I know there are some companies doing this now, but i see it growing in popularity.

I'd sooner have biometrics, over having to swipe a pattern

with my keyboard BB I don't have to look at the screen to unlock, I'd like to keep that function.

I could see Iris Biometrics before finger reading just because of frontfacing camera's slowly being included, as hardware increases, and software gets better, it is something that could be eventually included. though I wouldn't use it,
    09-29-10 02:57 PM
    I was going to post a new thread. But seeing this thread, I thought I would try to kick start it again for you deRusett.

I have been reading a lot of app developers bringing biometrics security to iPhone and Android. For example,

I wonder where BB developers' or RIM's progress (if any) in this promising area of business.
    07-17-11 12:09 PM
    I spend a lot of time on my blackberry's, and have a lot of windshield time to dream of things I want.

So here are some things I would like to be able to do with my smartphone in 2011/2012...

I would like to see Lens kits for Smartphone Camera's if we are going to see 8MP camera's I want to be able to change the lens for better picture taking
    Im intrigued by how you could combine SLR functionality and still keep the form factor. I may not be thinking far enough outside the box, so I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to accomplish that feat.
    07-17-11 06:06 PM
    How about a laser projector on the top of the phone? We are probably still a couple years away from this making it to a phone, however.

Another thing I'd like; a powerful Atrix-like BlackBerry. Again, probably some time before processors are ready to fulfill what Atrix is trying to do (Atrix too underpowered).
    07-17-11 06:41 PM
    Im intrigued by how you could combine SLR functionality and still keep the form factor. I may not be thinking far enough outside the box, so I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to accomplish that feat.
    Fisheys Lens | Camera Lens for iPhone
    Telephoto Lens For Your Phone

A Wide Angle Lens for your Phone or Pocket Video Camera. | wolf and redhood media

Things like this, but worked into mass production, some playing with portability and proper distribution, without hacks to make them attach and work, possibly a threading around the existing lens on a Blackberry camera
    07-17-11 07:26 PM
    I was going to post a new thread. But seeing this thread, I thought I would try to kick start it again for you deRusett.

I have been reading a lot of app developers bringing biometrics security to iPhone and Android. For example,

I wonder where BB developers' or RIM's progress (if any) in this promising area of business.

LOL!! I saw this thread on my blackberry earlier today, didn't make note of who the first poster was and was like !!!! man I love this guys Ideas,

then I saw it was me! haha
    that was such a great laugh for me today thanks!

EDIT: forgot to comment on the link

I'm very not impressed with Biometrics currently on computers even, so having it on a smartphone I just don't see the advantages for YET!, I really think we are a long way away from useful biometrics on the potable scale.
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-17-11 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to comment on the post
    07-17-11 07:27 PM
    How about a laser projector on the top of the phone? We are probably still a couple years away from this making it to a phone, however.

Another thing I'd like; a powerful Atrix-like BlackBerry. Again, probably some time before processors are ready to fulfill what Atrix is trying to do (Atrix too underpowered).
    Laser projector? like a Laser pointer? or like a pico projector built into the phone like Nokia tried?

I don't think a laser pointer will fly, the abuse of laser pointers would give a bad name to the devices, you'd have to be a niche brand to do that a major brandname would risk their image being associated with troubles
    07-17-11 07:38 PM
    The fingerprint reader came first...

Hot-swappable batteries would be awesome
    07-17-11 07:43 PM
    The fingerprint reader came first...

Hot-swappable batteries would be awesome
    I've been yelling for Hot swappable batteries since 2009 I think, someday my dream will come to fruition
    07-17-11 07:56 PM
    I would like to see a self-contained transporter device similar to the one Lore(Data's evil twin brother) had.

A super secure and ultra advanced bluetooth setup. But instead of using an earpiece with a microphone, it will use an embedded microchip in your brain. You could make phone calls, compose emails, send text, bbm, surf the web, select music play list and input text in any text area, gps, compass, all with thought commands. It will also create 3 dimensional holograms in your mind that you can interact with like in the movie Minority Report. This will greatly increase the efficiency in which you can process data.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    07-17-11 09:45 PM
    I've been yelling for Hot swappable batteries since 2009 I think, someday my dream will come to fruition
    Keeping it honest though, my windows phone takes less than a minute to load up. Only time I ever have trouble waiting for the device to load is with Android and BlackBerry devices. iOS and Windows Phone load up in a jiffy.
    07-17-11 10:29 PM
    Keeping it honest though, my windows phone takes less than a minute to load up. Only time I ever have trouble waiting for the device to load is with Android and BlackBerry devices. iOS and Windows Phone load up in a jiffy.
    well iOS doesn't have a swappable battery period

Haven't extensively tested out the new Windows Phone.
    but my desire for Hotswappable is to not lose a minute of the business day, or be in mid conference call and having to discount to change batteries.
    reboot times aside, it is the ability to have the always on, always mobile that I truly want
    07-18-11 05:45 AM
    I'd like to see the screen able to project on the wall and a full size keyboard being projected on your desktop for when using it inside at a desk.
    07-18-11 06:55 AM
    Laser projector? like a Laser pointer? or like a pico projector built into the phone like Nokia tried?

I don't think a laser pointer will fly, the abuse of laser pointers would give a bad name to the devices, you'd have to be a niche brand to do that a major brandname would risk their image being associated with troubles
    Yes, like a pico projector.

I could see that come in handy sharing photos etc. But... especially if I were a salesman having the ability to share content about my company to potential clients.
    07-18-11 09:11 AM
    I'd like to see the screen able to project on the wall and a full size keyboard being projected on your desktop for when using it inside at a desk.
    Took the words right out of my thumbs.

I see a projection lens, with either a fold-out kevlar screen, or portable screen that attaches. Wide screen, with HD quality of course.

The hot swap idea is great, and so is swappable lenses. Maybe he lens could be held with a magnet internally or a quick clip, and a button release mechanism.

One more suggestion. Let's make the processor upgradeable, and slots for more memory.
    info600 likes this.
    07-18-11 09:19 AM

One more suggestion. Let's make the processor upgradeable, and slots for more memory.
    That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. The carriers and hardware manufacturers want people to buy a new device (with a new contract) every 2 years. They would lose a lot of money if folks kept their smartphones longer, like many folks do with their PCs.
    07-18-11 10:51 AM
    That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. The carriers and hardware manufacturers want people to buy a new device (with a new contract) every 2 years. They would lose a lot of money if folks kept their smartphones longer, like many folks do with their PCs.
    Geeze Laura, can't a man dream?
    07-18-11 12:40 PM
    Yes, like a pico projector.

I could see that come in handy sharing photos etc. But... especially if I were a salesman having the ability to share content about my company to potential clients.

as a sales guy I can say I very much would want my projector as the second unit, I walk around way to much to be holding my phone still, delivering a presentation I get animated.

IF it was built into my tablet, and I could wirelessly control the slides with my blackberry THAT would be awesome
    07-18-11 02:48 PM
    Geeze Laura, can't a man dream?

my dream and hopes out of what I wanted this year and next are at least realistic.

giving the ability to change ram and processors means they can't be embedded which would DRASTICALLY increase the thickness of the device, and the chips since again you'd have to make sure they are not too thin to break easily. I can't see an upgradeable device under 18mm thick
    07-18-11 02:50 PM
    NFC is supposed to be in the next generation of BB's, so being able to pay for things right from your BlackBerry is not too far away.
    07-19-11 07:05 AM
    My Galaxy SII boots up in about 30 seconds. Way faster than my Iphone 4.
    07-19-11 07:36 AM
    I don't see the issue with hot-swappable batteries.. :S Couldn't you just have a little tiny built in battery with a small charge, so that when you disconnect the battery it will go into a sort of freeze state or something until you connect the other battery, which when connected would recharge the tiny battery.

Similar to how a computer goes into sleep or hibernate mode, using very small amounts of energy until you turn it back on. I don't think the built in battery would have to be very big for that.
    07-19-11 08:00 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD