I try to keep myself well informed on all things Blackberry thanks to Crackberry.com but I am curious about a few things regarding networks for instance: what does CDMA and GSM actually stand for and what is the difference between these two networks aside from AT&T is GSM and Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. Is one faster or more reliable than the other? Also what does EVDO and GSM's equivalent (the acronym is escaping me) mean? This probably won't make me a better Berry user, just curious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 08:45 PM
    Google searches will give you all the answers. If you are lazy, you can just go to Wikipedia.

04-15-09 09:07 PM
    pk, you are awesome. you always help the newbies out. glad to have you here . just wish they would check the forums out more. glad to have you standing by. you always have a good fix for them. good work.
    04-15-09 10:07 PM
    I try to keep myself well informed on all things Blackberry thanks to Crackberry.com but I am curious about a few things regarding networks for instance: what does CDMA and GSM actually stand for and what is the difference between these two networks aside from AT&T is GSM and Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. Is one faster or more reliable than the other? Also what does EVDO and GSM's equivalent (the acronym is escaping me) mean? This probably won't make me a better Berry user, just curious.

CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access

GSM = Global System for Mobile communications

GSM is an evolution of TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) in terms of digital technology.

GSM channelizes spectrum and divides it into time slots.

CDMA uses all the spectrum and divides via code.

GSMs weakness is capacity. CDMAs weakness is shrinkage as load increases.

That's the quick and dirty, and I'm sure someone will elaborate. CDMA is not as wide spread globally, but is a superior platform in my opinion.

In terms of data, GSM has its roots in "EDGE" Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution. GPRS (General Packet Radio Spectrum) is another name for it (2G). It has evolved into HSDPA (High-Speed Data Packet Access), 3G.

CDMA traces back to a standard 1XRTT (1X), EV-DO (Evolution Data Only) is 3G (Rev 0., followed by Rev A.).

There is 4G in the works. Sprint is pursuing a standard called WiMax (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access). They've rolled it out in Baltimore. Verizon is pursuing a standard called LTE (Long Term Evolution). I believe AT&T will roll this out as well.

The links that one of the other fellas listed will give more details.

Last edited by Gawain; 04-15-09 at 10:30 PM.
    04-15-09 10:21 PM
    pk, you are awesome. you always help the newbies out. glad to have you here . ...

Let me add our thanks too, you are a fine example of what we are trying to achive here.

Big thumbs up.
    04-15-09 10:55 PM
    I went to Wikipedia for the info after I posted the thread. Most of it was a bit difficult to understand unless you work in the communications industry but Gawain did a really good job summing it up so most people outside of the comm industry can understand it.
    BTW, some people shouldn't so quickly assume who are newbies and who aren't. Newbies ask more "how to" questions and less about what goes on behind the scenes...

04-16-09 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD