Hello all,

I live in the UK and am off to Sydney for almost 3 weeks (travelling next week) . This is likely the first of several trips over the next 6 months.

I have an unlocked (purchased handset only) Blackberry 9780 which I am currently running with my orange pay monthly sim in the UK. I�d really like to use the 9780 when I am over there for both data and voice (mostly data) and orange�s �9 per MB makes using roaming a non-option so.

I can get a sim from Vodafone Australia and add BB data but I am unsure as to any implications on BIS, specifically:

� Will the new sim just work or will I have to do something to deactivate BIS for the other one? Currently on my 9780 I have no web BIS login with orange (I get pushed to device only) and the email setup app on the device is broken, only mobile.blackberry.com works but that is limited.
    � Assuming it does work will existing emails and messages be deleted? Not a major issue as I have access to them via logicmail anyway.
    � Are there likely to be any issues changing back when I return to the UK?
    � Lastly I have an unlocked mifi dongle. A part of me is wondering if switching off data and using that with a local 3g sim would be easier? My only issue with that is from memory on my old Bold 9000 using it on wifi only was not as simple as you�d think, not sure if this has changed?

If the hassle proves significant (I am likely to have 3-5 trips I�d guess) I would even consider picking up a PAYG smartphone or BB locally and just going with that. Given the hit and miss nature of Orange�s CS I fear that the fact that I did not buy the handset from them may totally confuse them (if that is an issue)

I know similar questions have been asked before but I have not been able to find an exact answer.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

Neil
    07-27-11 05:24 AM
    Hello I do not think so it should work right out the box as long as the device is not sim locked and one tip Optus has has a much better network than vodafone. If u get out of the city in NSW and Vic it should be fine but in WA SA and QLD u r better off with Optus.

Optus has a BB prepaid option

regards
    07-27-11 06:59 PM
    if your Blackberry bold is unlocked - you need to get a Vodafone data plan and the service book should be updated.

then you can use your bold there...
    07-27-11 07:49 PM
    It's not as easy as all that, xBlackberry. I'm not sure Vodafone have pre-paid Blackberry plans. I know Optus do (see: Mobile Phones | Broadband & Home Phone - Optus) and that would be the easiest option.
    07-27-11 08:18 PM
    You can get PRE Paid from Virgin in Australia... just get the Blackberry unlocked first so it can work with it.

Information found here:
    Store: SIM Kit: Prepaid Big Cap
    07-27-11 08:56 PM
    You can get PRE Paid from Virgin in Australia... just get the Blackberry unlocked first so it can work with it.

Information found here:
    Store: SIM Kit: Prepaid Big Cap
    Virgin Australia (Store: ProductChooser) don't even sell Blackberry's. Their Pre-Paid plans won't help this user with BIS.

Optus is the only Australian telco that sells pre-paid Blackberry data sims. http://www.optus.com.au/store/blackberry/prepaid
    Last edited by kevinnugent; 07-27-11 at 09:31 PM.
    07-27-11 09:27 PM
    Thanks all, so Optus looks the better bet. The trip has been delayed by a few weeks now (a good thing) so I have some time.

I suppose the question is if I pick up an optus sim on BB prepaid will it just work?
    07-28-11 03:19 AM
    Should do, Neil. Just make sure they "provision" it for you. Your phone should work fine.
    07-28-11 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD