I had a cell phone and an older blackberry and really loved the T9 feature as it allowed quick spelling of texts messages.

A lot of my colleagues went with the world edition and I have recently purchased a curve, due to it being the same as a WE, (at least in my non-tech eyes) but it had the video and camera.

Query 1 - are there any other major differences between the WE and Curve that I may be missing? ie memory

I really loved (ok maybe that is too strong a word) but I really liked the T9 option, but I kinda figured that, due to the full key board, that option is not on the WE or Curve. Or probably any other BB with a full key board.

Well, a colleague of mine walked in with a Pearl, also with a camera and a video option. Yes, my co-worker is a female.

Query 2 - are there many major differences between the pearl and the Curve? Are there any BB's out there with the T9 that are comparable to the Curve?

Time to call it a night, and cant wait to check this out tomorror am.

TCA
    07-22-08 12:31 AM
    Aside from the camera, the 8330 Curve has 96mb of memory vs the 64mb on the 8830 WE. The 8830 also has an GSM radio that supports the 2 overseas bands.

Not many differences between the Pearl and Curve. Most obvious is the size, screen and keyboard. Again the 8330 has the extra 32mb.

RIM's version of predictive text is called SureType. IMHO it works a lot better than T9, probably due to the fact that it's got 20 keys which allows it to have more accurate predictive text. About 95% of the time, it lets you just type away on a SureType keyboard the same as you would on a full QWERTY. Only the more phone-like 7100 and 8100 series Blackberries use SureType. The full keyboard Blackberries don't, since you don't really need it with a normal QWERTY.
    07-22-08 12:52 AM
    i used to be all about T9 until i bought my first Blackberry. ever since than, i was all about a full QWERTY keyboard.
    07-22-08 08:46 AM
    You'll like the qwerty MUCH better than T9... believe me.
    07-22-08 08:48 AM
    It took me a while to get going on the full keyboard after comming over from t9 but now i will never go back. At first i couldn't remeber where any of the puctuation is, now i can't send a text on my girlfirends phone using t9.
    07-22-08 09:07 AM
    I had a cell phone and an older blackberry and really loved the T9 feature as it allowed quick spelling of texts messages.

A lot of my colleagues went with the world edition and I have recently purchased a curve, due to it being the same as a WE, (at least in my non-tech eyes) but it had the video and camera.

Query 1 - are there any other major differences between the WE and Curve that I may be missing? ie memory

I really loved (ok maybe that is too strong a word) but I really liked the T9 option, but I kinda figured that, due to the full key board, that option is not on the WE or Curve. Or probably any other BB with a full key board.

Well, a colleague of mine walked in with a Pearl, also with a camera and a video option. Yes, my co-worker is a female.

Query 2 - are there many major differences between the pearl and the Curve? Are there any BB's out there with the T9 that are comparable to the Curve?

TCA
    You can use the Auto Text feature and set up shortcodes for common words or phrases. In my opinion it's much better than T9 plus you have the ability to not have mistaken words go out in your texts like the word "good" instead of "home". Search the forums for Auto Text, if I'm not mistaken, you can have up to 100 characters auto populate by simploy typing the code you enter. i.e. zz=Hey, where are you at?
    07-22-08 10:17 AM
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I am a bit of a dinosaur. Its just that I was teaching (ya go figure) some co-workers about T9. they were still using the triple tap method to get to the 3rd letter on the key pad.

And I thought I knew what I was doing.

thanks for the feed back, and I will now learn "auto text'
    TCA
    07-22-08 11:16 AM

TCA
    I much prefer the "QWERTY" keyboard of my BB to T-9 Predictive text. Once you get sued to it you will be able to text far faster using 2 thumbs and that keyboard than you ever could with T9!!
    07-23-08 04:49 AM
    I think I would shoot myself if I had to go back to T9

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 04:50 AM
    Major text/emailer here. Loved t9 on previous cell because i could type way faster with it. It finished all my words for me with ease. Now I have to type the complete word and get no help. My keystrokes are up 30 - 40 % more than before and it sucks hard!! I Hate It.

Anybody know if there is an application to add predictive text to the bold? I would pay a million dollars for it!

Thanks!
    08-29-08 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD