hello
    i just bought the BB 9700 without a data plan because i plan to just connect through wifi.

i was told by the salesman that i would still be charged per use through the wifi. is this true?
    if it is true, is there any way to get around it so my wifi would be completely free and i would never have to pay anything extra?
    my carrier is at&t.
    12-02-09 02:08 AM
    hello
    i just bought the BB 9700 without a data plan because i plan to just connect through wifi.

i was told by the salesman that i would still be charged per use through the wifi. is this true?
    if it is true, is there any way to get around it so my wifi would be completely free and i would never have to pay anything extra?
    my carrier is at&t.
    This is completely false. Connecting your device using Wi-Fi does not use data from the network. They cannot charge you for using Wi-Fi Only in your own home or some other "Free" Wi-Fi area such as a neighbors house or of a business operating "Free" Wi-Fi. The key word here is "salesman".

I'm quite sure he gets a commission for selling data plans and his only recourse was to say that you will be charged anyway. If he thought you were meaning "Wi-Fi Hotspots" that they obviously charge for, he's an even bigger [I.D10T] for saying so. Total BS!!!! I hate that carrier so much. Here's a better explanation and configuration of how do this.
    12-02-09 04:13 AM
    Actually, there may be so$e truth to what the salesman said. ATT disabled WIFI functionality on my phone somehow when I didn't have a BB plan a couple years ago on the 8820.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 04:55 AM
    I don't think so.
    12-02-09 05:30 AM
    you will not get charged for using wifi...the thing you will get charged for is if your wifi connection drops on the phone and jumps on the att network without you knowing and then your going to end up with that nice pretty bill for god knows how much....
    12-02-09 10:06 AM
    You have to be careful!! AT&T has it set up so that even when you're using Wifi, it's set to go thru their proxy. So if you want to use Wifi and not get charged you must make SURE that you have the network connection off. Go to manage connections and make sure Wifi is the only one checked.
    12-02-09 10:11 AM
    It's is ture. The salesman did not explain it correctly to you.

Started last month, when you "begin" to use a smartphone (any smartphone), you will be required to have a data plan. Whether you use the carreir data, your WiFi, or just idle your phone from data, it doesn't matter. Also it doesn't matter where or how you acquire your smartphone, no data plan, no service.

This is true for all US carriers.
    Last edited by leskchan; 12-02-09 at 12:40 PM.
    12-02-09 10:19 AM
    thank you all for your responses!
    i now fully understand what the saleman was talking about and dont have to worry anymore
    u are all amazing!
    thank you!!
    12-02-09 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD