We know t-mo 9700 wifi is used for UMA.

But what is the purpose for at&t 9700 wifi? What does it shows on the upper right hand corner? UTMS? Is UTMS the same thing as UMA? So when u travel oversea, u can use UTMS to call back home using ur unlimited air time minutes instead of paying those ridiculous international rate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-10-10 at 09:37 AM.
    02-10-10 08:59 AM
    1)T-Mobile's WiFi is also used for data, not just voice.
    2)UMTS does not equal UMA
    02-10-10 09:26 AM
    UMA = Unlicensed Mobile Access or UMA, which is 3GPP (Generic Access Network), or GAN standard.

you can read more of it here
    UMA Technology : Overview

UMTS = Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) is one of the(3G) third-generation mobile radio technologies, which is also being developed into a 4G technology.

you can read more of it here
    3G Tutorial, UMTS overview

They are not one in the same... UMA allows you to make voice calls over Wi-Fi, UTMS makes calls over EDGE/UMTS towers. UMA may/may not allow you to call internationally for free.... i don't know, i won't fly.

02-10-10 09:31 AM
    1)T-Mobile's WiFi is also used for data, not just voice.
    2)UMTS does not equal UMA
    Ok so, does it show UMTS on the upper right hand corner for the at&t 9700 if its connected to wifi? And what can u do on UMTS then? Is it for voice only? How about call back home when u travel oversea? Can users use UTMS to call back home?

02-10-10 09:33 AM
    so UMTS uses edge tower instead? So I guess at&t 9700 wifi is only use for wifi hotspot to surf the net, huh? That's bummer, another reason t-mo 9700 > at&t 9700.

02-10-10 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD