I also think TH does deserve some credit for a lot of other projects (blend etc.). I like Chen, but I think he has inherited much of what was under development.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 08:07 AM
    Thorsten said something along the lines of this being the beginning of mobile computing at the end of the BB10 launch event. He basically said that there was something very special coming and implied it would change the way we look at mobile computing. I have now assumed he was referring to the Passport as the Passport is basically a mini-computer.
    10-21-14 11:23 AM
    I believe that Blend was what he has actually meant with mobile computing, as it truly makes your phone just the bearer of information that you can access anywhere else.

This is much better than making people buy dumb devices that have no capability in itself.

Blend is your own personal Cloud. It does not matter were you are and what device choice you have. As long as Blend is installed, you have access to your phone's data as well as the one from your linked devices.

Cloud storage is great. Having your own cloud is still far more convenient and more secure.

As said before. The Passport has been there for a long time and the only person that finally had the balls to release it was Chen.

Thorsten was just working on Blend

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 01:26 PM
    Look, TH was given a sinking ship and he was told to rite it so that Perm could bring in the guy he needed to really add value (Chen). It was a s*** job but he did it. He cut 40% of the work force and made BlackBerry a lean company. He also brought BB10 to market, BES10 and began the expansion of BBM and QNX. He had great vision and operationally he was strong. Where he was weak was execution and marketing. He was also uncomfortable being BlackBerry's front man. Chen is obviously better connected and excels at execution. He also has the persona of a CEO.

What people don't understand about companies is that they have a life cycle to then and different CEOs are needed at different times. Jim and Mike were the true pioneers that struck it big. Big on ideas but weak at management. As the company grew, the need for better and a different type of management grew. Thus Chen is a logical choice as CEO. While Chen brings many great skills to the table, the weakness of people who focus on execution is they have a tendency to kill innovation and to search for safety. Tim Cook at Apple is an excellent example.

My hope is that Chen will help BlackBerry with execution but won't kill off the innovative core of the company.

Posted via CB10
    QFT. This right here guys.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:08 PM
29 12