I am considering getting the blackberry curve with wi-fi from T-mobile so I have the mobile at home option. Am I right that there is no 3g capable curve so the networks will be relatively the same speed while I am not connected using wi-fi? Is there a difference in the devices? Looks like they both have GPS/Wi-fi. Lastly, is there a huge difference in 3g vs edge? I have the iphone now but I am finding that typing takes forever.
    Thanks,
    J
    03-17-08 09:52 PM
    The ATT Curve is the 8310, and it has GPS, no wifi. The TMO is the 8320 and has wifi but no GPS. The 8320 can have GPS functionality added via the use of a bluetooth GPS 'puck'. The 8310 will never have the option of wifi.
    There is a massive difference in speed, 3G vs.EDGE. However, no BlackBerry (or iPhone) ships with 3G at the moment.
    WiFi on the 8320 provides an incremental upgrade in browsing speeds and some data-intensive applications, but it's not the holy grail of capabilities.
    That being said, I have used every BB out there (and most other high-end GSM smartphones, including the iPhone), had the option to keep any of them, and settled on the 8320. I'm on ATT, so I use an unlocked unit.
    TMO is the only US carrier to provide calling via WiFi, so if you're with ATT, even on a TMO Curve you won't be able to use that functionality.
    Does that answer your questions? Oh, and colors: ATT has a rockin' red 8310 that a lot of people like, and TMO has a sweet, buttery pale gold. Of course they both also carry gray, for those who prefer.
    Enough of this diatribe. You can see the keyboard on the Curve is superior to the iPhone just by the length of this post (from my Curve), but you do give up screen real estate for it.
    Good luck with your choice.

Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 06:27 AM
    I have TMobile service and own both models. At the moment I am enjoying my unlocked 8310 more due to the GPS capability. The UMA/Wifi isn't really a necessity as I have an unlimited plan for the mobile and home service.

The 8310's EDGE in most cases slightly trumps the speed of my wifi @ home connection of the 8320 and blows away the 8320 on EDGE. Also take into consideration that I have more apps running on the 8310, but the internet speeds were still faster.

I plan to buy a GPS puck before giving up on the 8320 and then do another comparison before selling one or the other.
    Last edited by conmetal; 03-18-08 at 07:39 AM.
    03-18-08 07:37 AM
    How is the web surfing on the curve? The iphone surfs better than any device I've ever owned but typing and logging into my company email is a huge pain.
    03-18-08 08:51 AM
    t-mobile will be running on a 3g network by summer. they already bought a ton of att towers out west, too. stick with tmobile. they will also be getting an android (google) powered phone before anybody else, sometime before the end of the year. they are going to step it up to a 3g network soon and are in the process of upgrading right now.
    03-18-08 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";