I have been an 8810 BB user for a while with Rogers but due to costs and lots of US travel I have an AT&T 8820 right now but ran into a bit of a problem I am hoping someone can help with...

I live in a border city (Windsor) and I have been having connection problems. Actually the connection to the local Rogers provider is excellent *when* connected to it. Being connected to it is the problem. If the AT&T phone finds any smidgen of an AT&T provider it immediately switches to it since it is the "home" provider, irregardless of how bad the signal is. From pretty much anywhere in Windsor you can get a weak AT&T signal. So what actually happens is that the phone switches to the AT&T provider with the bad signal, cannot connect to anything digital, make calls, etc then times out after 2-3 minutes and goes back to Rogers. It does this continually every few minutes.

There could be an easy fix but.... The AT&T software does not allow to manually select providers like Rogers does. Having the two phones I compared screens and where the Rogers phone has the option to go to manual mode and pick your provider of choice (something that would eliminate this problem for me) the AT&T "build" of the same OS has this option hidden away and the phone connects based on the "Home provider 1st, switch if bad connection, check again in a few minutes" algorithm and there is no way to currently do anything about it (confirmed by AT&T tech). There is still hope with the OS 4.5 release but the option may not be available then either. Of course the problem does not exist deep in AT&T coverage zones or far from them.

I was hoping that unlocking my Rogers bb and sticking the AT&T sim in it would do the trick but I guess the part of the configuration that controls access to the manual mode screen is in the SIM so I was not helped that way. One interesting thing though is that my 8310 with the AT&T sim does not hunt for a AT&T signal as much compared to the 8820... But that is only a temporary fix.

So if you managed to read through all that my question is: Is there any way to turn on the options in the 8820 so manual mode can be selected (maybe a backdoor or the like) that would allow me to successfully use the 8820 or anything else I can do to mitigate this problem? Also any clue why the 8310 would not behave as bad with the provider?

Thanks a bunch...

Zoo
    04-01-08 08:25 AM
    Anyone?

Zoo
    04-02-08 10:28 PM
    Interesting... I hate to say it, but BB may not be the way to go. I know other phones allow you to manually pick the network.

One thing though, if you are using Rogers a lot, you will probably be sent a notice that your service will be shut down at a specific date w/o ETF.
    04-02-08 10:40 PM
    Sadly AT&T is the only carrier that provides a decent rate plan for data in both US and Canada. I have not mentioned this but it is a business phone and I work on both sides of the border (as well as Mexico and Europe/Asia at times) and have a lot of data and calls monthly. Right now our biggest problem is that Rogers is charging an arm and a leg for data anywhere but in Canada. My average monthly bill is $1000+ these days. With AT&T's international data plan, we are hoping to drop some of those excessive data roaming charges (the trade off being calls in Canada become long distance). No other carriers currently come close for cross border use for data plans, both in US and Canada.

Right now, the Rogers 8310 is actually behaving better than the AT&T 8820 with the AT&T SIM in it. While the option to manually select a network is not there it seems to at least stick with the local provider in Canada and not hunt for a AT&T signal as much. If anything, while in Detroit it seems to stick with the Rogers signal instead of switching over when I cross the border (even if I restart it).

If my phone was the only one that will have this issue I would consider my current situation acceptable and move on. The problem is we have other employees that will be in the same boat (I am the "beta tester" on this if you will). This is why I want to understand why the 8310 works better at keeping a Rogers signal than the 8820 as well as maybe find out any possible backdoor to manually change providers (do they exist or is it a pipe dream on an AT&T phone even if a Rogers SIM allows for that)? With these answers we can make an intelligent decision about what equipment to buy (and from where) so no one else goes through these growing pains.

Zoo
    04-03-08 09:09 AM
    One less costly solution would be to have phones you use while in Canada, and use your AT&T blackberries for International travel.

What do you do anyway?
    04-03-08 10:32 AM
    I work in the manufacturing field doing engineering work, mainly in the automotive industry. It means a lot of work in the Windsor-Detroit area, various plant locations in the US as well as Mexico and abroad. The big problem is the company is Canadian based and lots of calls go back and forth from US to Canada and vice versa. My blackberry has become my office. I am basically on the road 95% of the time so it's the ideal tool for staying in touch with the office, customers, etc.

I have told the office our cheapest option would be the phone + blackberry option, even though I don't look forward to doing the "Batman utility belt" and start carrying multiple phones on my belt. It may come down to it anyways, depending on our little test with AT&T.

Zoo
    04-03-08 09:42 PM
    did you try options, mobile network, set network selection mode to manual and select scan for networks.
    04-03-08 10:03 PM
    I work in the manufacturing field doing engineering work, mainly in the automotive industry. It means a lot of work in the Windsor-Detroit area, various plant locations in the US as well as Mexico and abroad. The big problem is the company is Canadian based and lots of calls go back and forth from US to Canada and vice versa. My blackberry has become my office. I am basically on the road 95% of the time so it's the ideal tool for staying in touch with the office, customers, etc.

I have told the office our cheapest option would be the phone + blackberry option, even though I don't look forward to doing the "Batman utility belt" and start carrying multiple phones on my belt. It may come down to it anyways, depending on our little test with AT&T.

Zoo
    Maybe you could just have a "local" canadian Rogers Sim card (if they use them), and then a US sim card and switch them when you go in the field.

Or, I'd just have a local phone for when you are in town, and set it to forward your calls to the BB when you go in the field.

Patrick
    04-03-08 10:21 PM
    I wonder if using something like grand central would help,then you could one number and determine where it sends the calls. I can't believe att takes away the ability to manually search for a signal, wierd! To bad T-mobiles roaming rates suck! I found that out the hard way......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 11:50 PM
    did you try options, mobile network, set network selection mode to manual and select scan for networks.
    Sadly that option is disabled on the AT&T sim... I do have it on the Rogers one which is why I know it existed... One strike for AT&T for that one...

If anyonw knows a backdoor to that let me know...

Zoo
    04-05-08 01:13 PM
    Have you tried a different provider's software for the 8820? Now that T-Mobile is selling it in the States, they must have a different software build.

I can't imagine that your problem is hardware one, it's gotta be coded in the software somewhere. I would try the TMO (or an overseas provider) build and see if that makes a difference.

Also, have you tried something like an 8320 in the same situation? Again, it would be hardware that's not "looking" for an ATT tower.

Let us know how it goes,
    Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD