I'm trying to setup a user's new Blackberry Curve and I get a box saying -

"Your computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."
    07-11-08 11:39 AM
    What version of DM are you using? What is the OS on your PC? Are you connecting to a hub or directly to the pc?
    07-11-08 12:12 PM
    BIS or BES?
    07-11-08 12:23 PM
    BIS or BES?
    BES

What version of DM are you using? What is the OS on your PC? Are you connecting to a hub or directly to the pc?

W2k, sp4 and it's connecting directly to the PC.

You know, normally I would've provided this detail when I asked the original question, but, it's been one of those days. Thanks for catching these minor details for me guys.
    07-11-08 12:35 PM
    If you get this solved, please let me know. It has really been frustrating me!

(see my previous post on this here:
    hxxp://forums.crackberry.com/f2/desktop-manager-sync-issue-48455/)

I contacted RIM - they referred me to my provider. I told them it's a software issue, what would provider know? Then I was referred to a RIM technical support subscription program (i.e. pay for support) - Wow...GREAT HELP there!

It seems this is not an isolated problem, but I guess it's not common either - hence the lack of a solution or effort to find one...
    07-11-08 10:24 PM
    I'm on vista with Windows 2003. My new Bold got the same "internet" message after installing the CD (v4.6). Installed 4.5, same thing, installed 4.7, still no solution. v4.2 sp2 worked but hey, why use old software with a new phone.

Swtiched off the firewall and this didn't help until I noticed in the Vista Security Center that I had 2 firewalls, despite the fact that I had (suposedly)removed Norton trial version as soon as I bought this laptop. Apparently the Vista removal is not enough to get rid of everything. Found Norton removal software, ran this and it's working now for me. I know how frustrating this can be and I hope it will help some one.
    11-18-08 10:15 PM
    I have had the same problem on my work PC for past 3 years - I have never been able to sync, and RIM has never fixed the issue or answered the problem. I am running BIS on Windows XP with Outlook 2007. I have a BB Bold 9000.

You will find hundreds of forum entries on the net over the past few years with this exact problem.

I have recently upgraded to the latest version of Desktop Software (in the hope that one of these days there will be a fix in the new version). Crazy thing is that everything works on Desktop Software, such as upgrading Device Software etc (so clearly it is connecting with the internet) but when if comes to syncing (or even trying to configure sync) I get the same old error message: "Your computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."

Am almost about to walk away from BB altogether and get an iPhone - a number of the staff at the office having iphones running off our Windows Small Business Sever without any issues at all. RIM, you are about to lose another customer to Apple - WHY DONT YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS???!!
    08-16-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD