I thought I remembered a post that detailed how to sync multiple blackberries to one computer/outlook account, but now I can't find it. Anyone know how to do this? I'm afraid to just plug in the 2nd blackberry and find out what happens.

When I travel, I have a 2nd, in-country sim card that I put in an old blackberry. The problem is that the old blackberry was last synced to my Outlook a long time ago. One workaround is to load the outlook.pst file onto a 2nd computer and sync the 2nd blackberry there, but I was hoping for a more direct way. Thanks.
    03-21-09 12:46 AM
    I sync 2 BlackBerries to a single computer. You just need to be very careful of the sequence to protect your data.

First recommendation: Backup your Outlook files so if something goes south you don't inadvertantly wipe out your Outlook data. Then do a backup of each BB as well. The backups for the individual BB's should obviously be put into 2 different backup folders.

Sync your primary BlackBerry as you normally do -- I presume you have Desktop Manager set up to sync both ways.

For the second BlackBerry there are essentially 2 options. The safest option is to set up Desktop Manager to sync one way -- computer to Blackberry -- so that you overwrite the data on the out of date BlackBerry. That way you won't risk losing a valid current entry in Outlook just because you forgot that you made an entry for that address or calendar entry 6 months ago on the backup BB. Just remember to set Desktop Manager back to bi-directional when you are done so that the next time you sync your primary BB you aren't in overwrite mode.

The second option for the backup BB is to just sync it in bi-directional mode, but there is some risk to your data doing this.

Now, if you make updates to your Calendar and contacts on the backup BB while you are traveling, you will probably want to do a bi-directional sync when you return just to get Outlook updated, and then in turn your primary BB will be updated when you sync it.

The only time you will have a problem is if you make changes to the same entry on both BB's and then sync to Outlook -- only one of the changes will survive, or, you'll forever be chasing the dual-change. Outlook will catch it if you change the same entry on a BB AND Outlook and then sync, and it will create a duplicate entry (depending on your settings) so you don't lose data. But Outlook has no way of catching a change to the same entry on multiple devices, so it just keeps syncing to the last BB it sees -- an endless loop.

Bottom line -- no real problem in syncing multiple BB's to a single computer, you just need to be sure you think out the logic of how the data is flowing -- and how what will be overwritten to what.

And, backup, backup, backup.

Hope that helps.
    03-21-09 09:00 AM
    Excellent. So simple. Thank you.

I use the 2nd blackberry as a phone only, so I just needed to have a one-way updated address book.
    03-22-09 08:46 AM
    how do i sync to just upgrade an os and not share outlook data?
    04-02-09 10:39 PM
    Well, that's an entirely different question .......

First, be sure your sync settings in DM are set to NOT sync before you do anything

Then, go to the "BlackBerry Tips, How To and FAQ" forum and follow the very thorough and complete instructions in the several entries there regarding backup, wipe and new OS install. It is beyond the scope of a single reply here.
    04-03-09 01:31 PM
    Great post.

So what happens with the following scenario:

My wife has an 8330. I have a 9700. We have DTM 6.

The 8330 has a contact named "MOM" with a birthday of 5.23.51 (this is tracked in the actual contact profile)

The 9700 has a contact named "MOM" with a birthday of 5.23.51 (this is tracked in the actual contact profile)

If you sync both to the same calendar, will there be two "MOM" Birthdays in the same outlook calendar?
    10-28-10 10:22 PM
    Can BB synch with outlook 2010 yet? Last time I tried the option wasn't there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD