Found a post on the internet by Kelly Carter, from newbbie.com that allows you to sync your Blackberry Contacts to your PC, with a program like MS Office Excel, or an alternative like OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet/Calc, edit & Sync them back to your Blackberry's.

Since I don't have MS Outlook, and I was having difficult times finding a way in the forums to Sync my Berry Contacts with my PC, I finally found a free way to do it, and it was pretty much very straight forward.

I used the method, and it works, as I managed to transfer my contacts to my PC with Desktop Manager, open it in OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet/Calc, edited them, and Sync'ed them back into my Blackberry Bold with Success. (But please if your doing it, read the steps carefully). The Desktop manager shown in the screenshots is a bit older, but the steps are easy to be completed even with Desktop Manager 5 which I'm currently using.

Also don't know if it will work with all Blackberry phone models.

The method can be done with either MS Office Excel, or and I'm quoting from the original post "in place of Excel you can use OpenOffice Calc" or Spreadsheet as it is called in Windows version.

Anyway enough talk here is the link: Sync Blackberry with Excel/Spreadsheet/Calc

Note: Oh, and just in case this method has been mentioned here before, in the forums, I apologize as I couldn't find it. Still, is a good reminder and technique for newcomers like me in the Blackberrys world

Cheers.
    Last edited by andyhavoc; 10-08-09 at 06:09 PM.
    10-08-09 06:06 PM
    Thanks! Works well. I was wondering how to do this.

FA
    10-10-09 07:48 AM
    Cool tip! I'll have to try it at the office and see how it goes on my Bold.
    10-10-09 08:32 AM
    Thanks much for this tip! Kelly Carter's article shows a very long list of data row headings, such as Address 1, Address 2, etc. Most of these row headings will be left blank by most users. When you edit the contact data in Excel and synch them back to your BB, do all the blank row headings also appear in your BB's contact list OR just the field/headings that are filled in with contact data? My concern is that the row headings list is very long, and I would need to use only about 5 or 6 of the rows for my data entries for each contact.
    04-06-10 09:28 AM
    Thanks much for this tip! Kelly Carter's article shows a very long list of data row headings, such as Address 1, Address 2, etc. Most of these row headings will be left blank by most users. When you edit the contact data in Excel and synch them back to your BB, do all the blank row headings also appear in your BB's contact list OR just the field/headings that are filled in with contact data? My concern is that the row headings list is very long, and I would need to use only about 5 or 6 of the rows for my data entries for each contact.
    Hey,

I would assume that those all are fixed there by the Blackberry OS so if you add something there in each box it should be added to you phone's contact info.

But it is ok to just edit the box fields you want only as I did it like that. The others wont appear in your phone. So just edit the ones you need.

I have compiled a version of my own if you need an updated version of this at my blog at http://havocberry.wordpress.com/

If you need any more questions just ask away

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 09:53 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. The updated article on your blog is very well done. I'll try to convince the wife unit to give it a try with her new 8530.
    04-06-10 11:57 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. The updated article on your blog is very well done. I'll try to convince the wife unit to give it a try with her new 8530.
    You're very welcome,

Just make sure you back up / duplicate any exported contacts lists you create, to be on the safe side I only tried it with my Bold, but should work with other models too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD